Direct2D Warning: 0x8899000c - HELP!

Author
becgwin
Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi.

I am running a batch script containing a number of scripts ranging from reaction time e.g. AAT to likert to dropdowns etc. I have tested the batch script many times with no problems, as well as the scripts individually, and have been running it with participants but have just started to get the following warning over the last couple of days:

"Direct2D Warning: 0x8899000c A presentation error has occurred that may be recoverable. The caller needs to re-create the render target then attempt to render the frame again. Line 779, File win\Direct2DGraphics.cpp"

My issue is I don't know where the problem is coming from (how do I find Line 779?) and so don't know how to fix it.   I am hoping it is intermittent in that it has only happened twice with my actual participants, although as I usually run the script directly (i.e. by double-clicking on the batch file in the directory and then just running it from there as versus opening it in Inquisit and then running it from there), I can't be absolutely sure. It may be that I have been getting it for longer but not seen it.  Additionally, I have been running it through to test script order over the last two days (using CNTRL q) and it still sometimes happens without me actually doing the tests??? 

Can you tell me how to work out the problem and what to do.  The participants haven't noticed anything (e.g. freezing) that they have told me about - I am not in the room when they are doing the tests.  

I am just very concerned now that it might be effecting the data.  I have run this numerous times both on myself and on quite a few participants before the problem started occurring (or before I started to run the script in a way that showed me the warning), and I can't understand why it would suddenly be happening now.  Also, as I do not always run the script in a way that would show me a warning, I need to understand if it could be effecting all the data or just some of it, and where the problem might be. 

Can you help me ASAP?  I don't want to keep testing and scheduling appointments if there is a problem with the scripts. 

Thanks,

Rebecca 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
becgwin - Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Hi.

I am running a batch script containing a number of scripts ranging from reaction time e.g. AAT to likert to dropdowns etc. I have tested the batch script many times with no problems, as well as the scripts individually, and have been running it with participants but have just started to get the following warning over the last couple of days:

"Direct2D Warning: 0x8899000c A presentation error has occurred that may be recoverable. The caller needs to re-create the render target then attempt to render the frame again. Line 779, File win\Direct2DGraphics.cpp"

My issue is I don't know where the problem is coming from (how do I find Line 779?) and so don't know how to fix it.   I am hoping it is intermittent in that it has only happened twice with my actual participants, although as I usually run the script directly (i.e. by double-clicking on the batch file in the directory and then just running it from there as versus opening it in Inquisit and then running it from there), I can't be absolutely sure. It may be that I have been getting it for longer but not seen it.  Additionally, I have been running it through to test script order over the last two days (using CNTRL q) and it still sometimes happens without me actually doing the tests??? 

Can you tell me how to work out the problem and what to do.  The participants haven't noticed anything (e.g. freezing) that they have told me about - I am not in the room when they are doing the tests.  

I am just very concerned now that it might be effecting the data.  I have run this numerous times both on myself and on quite a few participants before the problem started occurring (or before I started to run the script in a way that showed me the warning), and I can't understand why it would suddenly be happening now.  Also, as I do not always run the script in a way that would show me a warning, I need to understand if it could be effecting all the data or just some of it, and where the problem might be. 

Can you help me ASAP?  I don't want to keep testing and scheduling appointments if there is a problem with the scripts. 

Thanks,

Rebecca 

The error originates in the system's graphics environment, not in the Inquisit script itself / directly, i.e. the line number doesn't refer to anything in your script. It's impossible to tell why the error started to occur only recently, but some plausible guesses are:
- Outdated graphics card driver.
- Broken DirectX environment.
- Some other recently installed application interfering with the display system.

I would recommend:
- Make sure your Inquisit installation is up to date on either of those machines.
- Update their graphics card drivers to the latest ones available from the respective vendor.
- Make sure all Windows updates are installed, and if need be update DirectX independently (downloads can be found at Microsoft's site).
- Disable any unnecessary applications running in the background, particularly ones that might interfere with the display system (e.g. desktop sharing or video conferencing software and the like).

becgwin
becgwin
Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)Guru (6.9K reputation)
Dave - Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Hi.

Thanks,

Rebecca 

The error originates in the system's graphics environment, not in the Inquisit script itself / directly, i.e. the line number doesn't refer to anything in your script. It's impossible to tell why the error started to occur only recently, but some plausible guesses are:
- Some other recently installed application interfering with the display system.

I would recommend:
- Make sure your Inquisit installation is up to date on either of those machines.
- Update their graphics card drivers to the latest ones available from the respective vendor.
- Make sure all Windows updates are installed, and if need be update DirectX independently (downloads can be found at Microsoft's site).
- Disable any unnecessary applications running in the background, particularly ones that might interfere with the display system (e.g. desktop sharing or video conferencing software and the like).

Thanks Dave.  I will do that ASAP.  But can you also tell me if it might have interfered with the data I have collected to date?  At a glance it looks OK.

Cheers,

Rebecca

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hi.

Thanks,

Rebecca 

I would recommend:

Thanks Dave.  I will do that ASAP.  But can you also tell me if it might have interfered with the data I have collected to date?  At a glance it looks OK.

Cheers,

Rebecca

The issue shouldn't substantially interfere with or corrupt the data. To give one example, a typical scenario that could elicit the warning in question would be another application briefly stealing the focus from Inquisit. Inquisit tries to control the the "drawing surface" while it's running (drawing stimuli to the screen, etc.), and the warning message suggests that Inquisit briefly lost that exclusive control (think: another application's window popping up, or something happening in the task bar, such as a notification from an installed antivirus scanner, a participant accidentally alt-tabbing out of Inquisit or accidentally launching another application via some hotkey or mouse gesture). Inquisit then makes every attempt to re-gain control of the drawing surface and usually can continue normally.

becgwin
becgwin
Hi.

Thanks,

Rebecca 

I would recommend:

Cheers,

Rebecca

The issue shouldn't substantially interfere with or corrupt the data. To give one example, a typical scenario that could elicit the warning in question would be another application briefly stealing the focus from Inquisit. Inquisit tries to control the the "drawing surface" while it's running (drawing stimuli to the screen, etc.), and the warning message suggests that Inquisit briefly lost that exclusive control (think: another application's window popping up, or something happening in the task bar, such as a notification from an installed antivirus scanner, a participant accidentally alt-tabbing out of Inquisit or accidentally launching another application via some hotkey or mouse gesture). Inquisit then makes every attempt to re-gain control of the drawing surface and usually can continue normally.

That's a relief. Thanks Dave.

Rebecca
seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
In technical terms, the error indicates that Windows reset graphics memory, so Inquisit has to redraw the entire screen from scratch. This might happen if it runs out of graphics memory, for example, but from what we've gathered from Windows documentation, it can sometimes happen for other unspecified reasons.

Inquisit was designed to handle this situation, however, so as Dave said, it shouldn't have any effect on the data you've gathered.  

-Sean
Edited 7 Years Ago by seandr
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search