Present prime and targets once each - Affective priming task

Author
Greeny
Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

I was hoping you could help me with the affective priming task I'm trying to run (script attached). I want to show each target word (unpleasant and pleasant target lists) once with each prime (CSpos and CSneg prime lists) - so there would be 10 positive words with CSposprime item 1, 10 negative words with CSposprime item 1, 10 positive words with CSposprime item 2, 10 negative words with CSposprime item 2 etc. for a total of 80 trials. The trials are written in congruent and in-congruent trials - pleasant prime with pleasant target (congruent) and pleasant prime with unpleasant target (in-congruent) etc. The 4 trials are then blocked so that presentations of each can occur randomly (so I'm not showing all congruent trials in one hit). The 80 trials are shown, but some CSprime's are presented more than once with the same target word, while some CSsprime's are not shown with a particular target word, which is not what I want. Is there a way to keep the randomising occurring, but to present each prime with each target word only once?

Thanks,
Luke
Attachments
priming_a.iqx (694 views, 25.00 KB)
Loukia
Loukia
Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)
Greeny - Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Hi Dave,

I was hoping you could help me with the affective priming task I'm trying to run (script attached). I want to show each target word (unpleasant and pleasant target lists) once with each prime (CSpos and CSneg prime lists) - so there would be 10 positive words with CSposprime item 1, 10 negative words with CSposprime item 1, 10 positive words with CSposprime item 2, 10 negative words with CSposprime item 2 etc. for a total of 80 trials. The trials are written in congruent and in-congruent trials - pleasant prime with pleasant target (congruent) and pleasant prime with unpleasant target (in-congruent) etc. The 4 trials are then blocked so that presentations of each can occur randomly (so I'm not showing all congruent trials in one hit). The 80 trials are shown, but some CSprime's are presented more than once with the same target word, while some CSsprime's are not shown with a particular target word, which is not what I want. Is there a way to keep the randomising occurring, but to present each prime with each target word only once?

Thanks,
Luke

Hi Luke, 

Don't know if this will help, but I programmed an affective priming expt myself a few months ago, and counterbalancing for all the manipulated variables worked properly only when all trial numbers were specified in the lists. I noticed your lists don't have /itemprobabilities = uniform and /poolsize = XX (number). 

Also, for each type of trial you might need to create separate lists just to be safe.

Hope this helps- poolsize and itemprobabilities are life savers; it just takes some time to break down all trial combinations and numbers. 

Best, 
Loukia

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Loukia - Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Hi Dave,

Thanks,
Luke

Hi Luke, 

Don't know if this will help, but I programmed an affective priming expt myself a few months ago, and counterbalancing for all the manipulated variables worked properly only when all trial numbers were specified in the lists. I noticed your lists don't have /itemprobabilities = uniform and /poolsize = XX (number). 

Also, for each type of trial you might need to create separate lists just to be safe.

Hope this helps- poolsize and itemprobabilities are life savers; it just takes some time to break down all trial combinations and numbers. 

Best, 
Loukia

Hi Dave,

Thanks,
Luke

What you need to do is define the prime-target pairs e.g. using paired <list> elements and then have you trials sample randomly from those pairs.

//PP
<list PP_primes>
/ items = (1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,
    2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2)
</list>

<list PP_targets>
/ items = (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
/ selectionmode = list.pp_primes.currentindex
</list>

//PU
<list PU_primes>
    2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2)
</list>

<list PU_targets>
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
/ selectionmode = list.pu_primes.currentindex
</list>

//UP
<list UP_primes>
    2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2)
</list>

<list UP_targets>
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
/ selectionmode = list.up_primes.currentindex
</list>

//UU
<list UU_primes>
    2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2)
</list>

<list UU_targets>
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
/ selectionmode = list.uu_primes.currentindex
</list>

Then sample the respective prime and target item numbers from the appropriate <list>s in your <trial>s:

<trial PP_test>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.counttrials_test += 1; values.PP_test += 1]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.primecategory="Pleasant"; values.targetcategory="Pleasant"]
/ ontrialbegin = [
    values.primeitemnumber = list.PP_primes.nextvalue;
    values.targetitemnumber = list.PP_targets.nextvalue;
]
</trial>

<trial PU_test>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.counttrials_test += 1; values.PU_test += 1]
/ ontrialbegin = [values.primecategory="Pleasant"; values.targetcategory="Unpleasant"]
/ ontrialbegin = [
    values.primeitemnumber = list.UP_primes.nextvalue;
    values.targetitemnumber = list.UP_targets.nextvalue;
]
</trial>

and so forth.

Attachments
priming_a.iqx (702 views, 25.00 KB)
Greeny
Greeny
Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)Expert (1.5K reputation)
Thank you both for your replies.

I tried running the script you attached and it worked a lot closer to what I'm wanting - but there were still cases where one word was presented more than once with a prime, and where a prime wasn't presented with a word (attached data set shows this). I also tried playing with the pool size and itemprobabilities to no avail. Is there any other way around this you can think of?

Thanks,
Luke
Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Greeny - Thursday, November 2, 2017
Thank you both for your replies.

I tried running the script you attached and it worked a lot closer to what I'm wanting - but there were still cases where one word was presented more than once with a prime, and where a prime wasn't presented with a word (attached data set shows this). I also tried playing with the pool size and itemprobabilities to no avail. Is there any other way around this you can think of?

Thanks,
Luke

Gah, there is a copy & paste mistake in the script. That was my oversight.

<trial PU_test>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.primecategory="Pleasant"; values.targetcategory="Unpleasant"]
/ ontrialbegin = [
    values.primeitemnumber = list.UP_primes.nextvalue;
    values.targetitemnumber = list.UP_targets.nextvalue;
]
</trial>

obviously ought to be

<trial PU_test>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    values.primeitemnumber = list.PU_primes.nextvalue;
    values.targetitemnumber = list.PU_targets.nextvalue;
]
</trial>
Greeny
Greeny

Awesome - thanks Dave. Works a treat now!
Greeny
Greeny
Hi Dave,

I am running another experiment and want to tweak the lists I created above. I still have the same 2 lists of target words with 10 words each and want to run 80 trials, but instead of presenting each word with only one prime stimulus, I want to rotate through 4 different prime stimuli: so I would show word 1 with prime stimulus 1, word 2 with prime stimulus 2, word 3 with prime stimulus 3, word 4 with prime stimulus 4, word 5 with prime stimulus 1, word 6 with prime stimulus 2.... etc.. until the 10 words have been shown with those 4 prime stimuli - so each prime will be shown twice, and 2 will be shown 3 times, but no prime will be shown with the same word more than once. And I want to do this with 4 lots of 4 prime stimuli each being presented with the 2 lists of 10 target words. I tried playing around with Loukia's suggestions above and some other ideas but I couldn't get it to work how I want it to - how do I define the lists to make this happen?

Thanks,
Luke
Dave
Dave
Greeny - Monday, January 15, 2018
Hi Dave,

I am running another experiment and want to tweak the lists I created above. I still have the same 2 lists of target words with 10 words each and want to run 80 trials, but instead of presenting each word with only one prime stimulus, I want to rotate through 4 different prime stimuli: so I would show word 1 with prime stimulus 1, word 2 with prime stimulus 2, word 3 with prime stimulus 3, word 4 with prime stimulus 4, word 5 with prime stimulus 1, word 6 with prime stimulus 2.... etc.. until the 10 words have been shown with those 4 prime stimuli - so each prime will be shown twice, and 2 will be shown 3 times, but no prime will be shown with the same word more than once. And I want to do this with 4 lots of 4 prime stimuli each being presented with the 2 lists of 10 target words. I tried playing around with Loukia's suggestions above and some other ideas but I couldn't get it to work how I want it to - how do I define the lists to make this happen?

Thanks,
Luke

Not sure I understand the question. Sounds like you'll simply want to define your prime-target pairs using <list>s and then sample from those pairs. So, I don't quite understand how this is different from what's been discussed before.

Greeny
Greeny
Dave - Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Greeny - Monday, January 15, 2018
Hi Dave,

Thanks,
Luke

Not sure I understand the question. Sounds like you'll simply want to define your prime-target pairs using <list>s and then sample from those pairs. So, I don't quite understand how this is different from what's been discussed before.

You are correct - I had an error in my picture element that was returning the wrong pairings leading me to believe I had to do something differently with the lists. All sorted now - Thanks Dave.

Luke
g5tower
g5tower
Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)Associate Member (232 reputation)
I have the same question.thanks for sharing
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search