Inquisit 5.0 Web Error Message

Author
Julia
Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)Respected Member (484 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I'm using Inquisit 5.0 Web, and the experiment runs perfectly fine on some computers, but not on others. 

Here is the error message I get:
WIC Error: 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect. Line 1773, File win\Direct2DGraphics.cpp

I also receive the error message:
Unable to load the picture
'http://scripts.millisecond.com/...(file name of image)'

I'm completely stumped. I tried updating the graphics card driver software on the computers, but that didn't fix it. Plus, the graphics card drivers are the same across computers, and it will work on one computer and not the one next to it. I've also made sure that no programs could be blocking Inquisit from loading graphics. All the computers have the same security measures on them, so it can't be firewall or anything like that. I've tried different browsers too, just in case. 

Any ideas as to what could be going on or how to fix it? Thank you!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
jcla89 - Sunday, December 17, 2017
Hello,
I'm using Inquisit 5.0 Web, and the experiment runs perfectly fine on some computers, but not on others. 

Here is the error message I get:
WIC Error: 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect. Line 1773, File win\Direct2DGraphics.cpp

I also receive the error message:
Unable to load the picture
'http://scripts.millisecond.com/...(file name of image)'

I'm completely stumped. I tried updating the graphics card driver software on the computers, but that didn't fix it. Plus, the graphics card drivers are the same across computers, and it will work on one computer and not the one next to it. I've also made sure that no programs could be blocking Inquisit from loading graphics. All the computers have the same security measures on them, so it can't be firewall or anything like that. I've tried different browsers too, just in case. 

Any ideas as to what could be going on or how to fix it? Thank you!

The "WIC" in "WIC Error: 0x80070057..." stands for "Windows Imaging Component" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Imaging_Component ), a standard Windows operating system component that applications, including Inquisit, use to render images on-screen.

#1: Make sure all systems in question have the latest WIC installed. WIC updates come via the normal Windows Updates, so make sure all machines are up to date.
#2: Different Windows versions use different WIC versions, i.e. Windows XP will use an older version than, say, Windows 7, and not every newer release is available for older Windows versions. Now, especially older versions of WIC react really badly to certain issues with image files, particularly invalid metadata embedded in the image files. This is likely what's ultimately causing the problem. If you remove all the metadata from the image files used in your study, it should run fine. You can use a program like IrfanView to do this in bulk for all image files.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search