Varying response formats in a trial function

Author
WouterDo
Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

In the current experiment there should be 2 blocks each consisting block addressing 4 of the 8 probes. Within a block the 4 probes should be presented within 4 subblocks. Each subblock consists of 1 probe, 1 target, 4 irrelevant items and 6 filler items (2 familiar, 4 unfamiliar). Participants should respond with a left key button or familiar to all targets and familiar filler items. A right key button or unfamiliar is required for all probes, irrelevants and unfamiliar items. 
The 2 blocks should be randomized as well as the subblocks.
Within a subblock all items should be presented in random order with 2 restricions:
1) a filler item can never be followed by another filler item
2) each filler item proceeds each of the irrelevants, target and probe items

My problem is the following, how can i achieve this restricted randomization? Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

I sincerely thank you for any help!
If anything is not clear, I would be more than happy to answer.

I added the script in the attachment. 
Attachments
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
WouterDo - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
Hi,

In the current experiment there should be 2 blocks each consisting block addressing 4 of the 8 probes. Within a block the 4 probes should be presented within 4 subblocks. Each subblock consists of 1 probe, 1 target, 4 irrelevant items and 6 filler items (2 familiar, 4 unfamiliar). Participants should respond with a left key button or familiar to all targets and familiar filler items. A right key button or unfamiliar is required for all probes, irrelevants and unfamiliar items. 
Within a subblock all items should be presented in random order with 2 restricions:

My problem is the following, how can i achieve this restricted randomization? Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

> Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

I don't understand what that's supposed to mean.

Beyond that, if I understand your description correctly, each "subblock" should go like this: It starts with 1 filler-trial, and then 1 probe, 1 target, and 4 irrelevant trials follow, each interspersed with another filler trial. E.g.

filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant

Is that correct?

And, generally speaking, to define a "subblock", you simply specify separate selection pools. Instead of

/ trials = [1-108 = noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1)]

you do

/ trials = [1-6= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 7-12= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 13-18= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); ...]

WouterDo
WouterDo
Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)
[quote]
Dave - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
[quote]
  Hi, thank you for answering!
Instead of a fixed presentation sequence (filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant), all items should be presented randomly within a subblock. However, When selecting the items randomly the program should know that a filler cannot be followed by another filler (eg., filler -> filler -> probe -> … is not allowed). Moreover, each of the fillers should precede every irrelevant, probe and target item within that randomization (so, filler1-> probe, filler2 -> probe, filler3->probe,…, filler 1-> irrelevant1, filler 2-> irrelevant1,…, filler1->target: all these combined trials should be presented randomly among the other trials).

What I mean by differing response formats is that, if you take those combinations in a trial (eg, filler1 (familiar) -> probe1), filler1 requires a left response while probe1 requires a right response. So, is there a way to define different response keys for different items within a trial function?
And is this kind of randomization possible?
If anything is still unclear, let me know!

WouterDo
WouterDo
Hi,

> Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

Beyond that, if I understand your description correctly, each "subblock" should go like this: It starts with 1 filler-trial, and then 1 probe, 1 target, and 4 irrelevant trials follow, each interspersed with another filler trial. E.g.

filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant

Is that correct?

And, generally speaking, to define a "subblock", you simply specify separate selection pools. Instead of

/ trials = [1-108 = noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,

you do

/ trials = [1-6= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 7-12= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 13-18= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,

Instead of a fixed presentation sequence (filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant), all items should be presented randomly within a subblock. However, When selecting the items randomly the program should know that a filler cannot be followed by another filler (eg., filler -> filler -> probe -> … is not allowed). Moreover, each of the fillers should precede every irrelevant, probe and target item within that randomization (so, filler1-> probe, filler2 -> probe, filler3->probe,…, filler 1-> irrelevant1, filler 2-> irrelevant1,…, filler1->target: all these combined trials should be presented randomly among the other trials). 
What I mean by differing response formats is that, if you take those combinations in a trial (eg, filler1 (familiar) -> probe1), filler1 requires a left response while probe1 requires a right response. So, is there a way to define different response keys for different items within a trial function? 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
WouterDo - Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Hi,

Is that correct?

you do

"Instead of a fixed presentation sequence (filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant), all items should be presented randomly within a subblock. However, When selecting the items randomly the program should know that a filler cannot be followed by another filler (eg., filler -> filler -> probe -> … is not allowed). Moreover, each of the fillers should precede every irrelevant, probe and target item within that randomization (so, filler1-> probe, filler2 -> probe, filler3->probe,…, filler 1-> irrelevant1, filler 2-> irrelevant1,…, filler1->target: all these combined trials should be presented randomly among the other trials)."

I'm not sure how that is different from what I said?

"What I mean by differing response formats is that, if you take those combinations in a trial (eg, filler1 (familiar) -> probe1), filler1 requires a left response while probe1 requires a right response. So, is there a way to define different response keys for different items within a trial function?"

I don't understand this either. You would set up at least one separate <trial> element that presents the filler stimuli / items. That trial element can be configured however you need it to be, just like all the other <trial> elements: You define the /validresponse keys, and you define the /correctresponse. If you need to have the correct response change depending on some factor (e.g. the item number), you can achieve that using /iscorrectresponse logic. Plenty examples for that are available in this forum and many if not most library scripts make use of that as well. See e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic15354.aspx#bm15355
This is completely independent of any of the other <trial> elements, i.e. it doesn't matter that a different response is the correct one in the probe <trial>.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search