Unbalanced presentation of pictures in the Dot Probe

Author
alexa
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello there,

I have a question concercing the DotProbe. I modified the DotProbe-script (see attachment). Now I conducted a pretest with the testmonkey (10 times/"participants"). Every participant had 10 pratice trials followed by 160 „real“ trials. The real trials were as followed: 20 high-caloric pictures paired with animals/plants and 20 low-caloric pictures, also paired with animals/plants (40 DP-trials * 4 (left/right and probe/noprobe) = 160 trials). Thus every picture has to be presented 4 times. Now I have analyzed the data and I saw that some pictures are presented more than 40 times (10 participants *4), especially high-caloric pictures, but low-caloric pictures were presented less than 40 times.
The practice-block works perfectly...

I am wondering why? There has to be an error in my syntax but I don't find it.
It would be really nice if someone could help me out.
Thanks a lot,
Alexa
Attachments
DotProbe_final_testmonkey.iqx (288 views, 43.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
alexa - Monday, February 26, 2018
Hello there,

I have a question concercing the DotProbe. I modified the DotProbe-script (see attachment). Now I conducted a pretest with the testmonkey (10 times/"participants"). Every participant had 10 pratice trials followed by 160 „real“ trials. The real trials were as followed: 20 high-caloric pictures paired with animals/plants and 20 low-caloric pictures, also paired with animals/plants (40 DP-trials * 4 (left/right and probe/noprobe) = 160 trials). Thus every picture has to be presented 4 times. Now I have analyzed the data and I saw that some pictures are presented more than 40 times (10 participants *4), especially high-caloric pictures, but low-caloric pictures were presented less than 40 times.

Thanks a lot,
Alexa

Not seeing any obvious issue or syntax error in the script. I'm also not seeing any image selected more or less than 4 times (see attached data file from one test run, getting the exact same result in other test runs). Can you attach a raw data file that shows the imbalance?

Attachments
alexa
alexa
Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Monday, February 26, 2018
Hello there,

Thanks a lot,
Alexa

Not seeing any obvious issue or syntax error in the script. I'm also not seeing any image selected more or less than 4 times (see attached data file from one test run, getting the exact same result in other test runs). Can you attach a raw data file that shows the imbalance?
Thank you very much for you help! I have looked at your raw data and everything is a exptected... This is a little bit weird.
I just have used the testmonkey again and everything works perfectly. I am very sorry, but a possible explanation might be that I have made changes in the syntax yesterday (I remember this, see below), but didn't save it before using the testmonkey.

<blockImageDotProbeTask>
/onblockbegin = [values.task = 2]
/trials = [1-160 = noreplace(highcaloric, highcaloric, Filler)]
</block>
 to:
<block ImageDotProbeTask>
/trials = [1-160 = noreplace(highcaloric, Filler)]
</block>

I am very sorry for the inconvenience (but reassured that everything works fine now)!
Alexa

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
alexa - Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Dave - Monday, February 26, 2018
Hello there,

Thanks a lot,
Alexa

Thank you very much for you help! I have looked at your raw data and everything is a exptected... This is a little bit weird.
I just have used the testmonkey again and everything works perfectly. I am very sorry, but a possible explanation might be that I have made changes in the syntax yesterday (I remember this, see below), but didn't save it before using the testmonkey.

<blockImageDotProbeTask>
</block>
 to:
<block ImageDotProbeTask>
/trials = [1-160 = noreplace(highcaloric, Filler)]
</block>

I am very sorry for the inconvenience (but reassured that everything works fine now)!
Alexa

Ah, yes, this makes sense.

<blockImageDotProbeTask>
</block>

would result in 106 to 107 "highcaloric" trials out of the 160, and the rest being "filler" trials. That would explain the imbalance you observed initially.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search