Can I use an openended response as a number?

Author
syzygy42
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Okay, here's the story:

I ask participants to answer a few hundred questions (for each trial, they click on one of two text stimuli).  At the end, I want to be able to retrieve one of their responses based upon the trial number that I specify.  Ideally, I'd like to type in the desired trial number.  Then, I'd like to display the participant's response to trial I specified.

I know that I can make a list (<item>) of participants' responses.  I know further that I can display any item from this list through a text element by specifying the list name and desired list position. However, I can't figure out how to dictate, via input, which trial I'm interested in.  That is, I can't figure out how to use an openended response as a means for selecting an item from a list.

Any advice?

-Andrea

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Andrea,

that's a nice, little problem - especially considering Inquisit 2.0's rather restricted set of features (compared to version 3). But - quite surprisingly - this is actually possible. The solution certainly can be deemed 'abusive' from a programmer's point of view, but hey - it does the job. Here's some sample code to illustrate (pay close attention to the comments):

*** Trial To Collect Responses From Subjects ***

<trial mytrial>
/ pretrialpause = 500
/ stimulusframes = [1=yes, no]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (yes, no)
</trial>

<text yes>
/ items = ("YES")
/ position = (40, 50)
</text>

<text no>
/ items = ("NO")
/ position = (60, 50)
</text>

*** Item Element To Store Responses From Subjects ***

<item mytrialresponse>
/ items = mytrial
</item>

*** Openended Element For Experimenter:
*** Enter <% item.mytrialresponse.1 %>
*** to retrieve the response made
*** on the first trial.
*** Enter <% item.mytrialresponse.2 %>
*** to retrieve the response made
*** on the second trial.

<openended answerselect>
/ stimulusframes=[1=trialselect]
/ position = (50, 50)
/ charlimit = 100
/ linelength = 40
/ numlines = 2
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)
/ responsetrial = (anyresponse, returnanswer)
</openended>

<text trialselect>
/ items = ("Select Response From Previous Trial:")
/ position = (50, 35)
</text>

<trial returnanswer>
/ stimulusframes = [1=returnanswer]
/ validresponse = (noresponse)
/ timeout = 5000
</trial>

<text returnanswer>
/ items = select
/ position = (50, 50)
</text>

<item select>
/ items = answerselect
</item>

*** Block Element Definition ***

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-2=mytrial; 3=answerselect]
</block>

*** End of Code ***

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,
~Dave

syzygy42
syzygy42
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion...... Your program works when I run it, but as soon as I change one of your text items to one of mine, it only returns "0.00" when I try to retrieve the trial.  So, if I change your line
/ items = ("YES")
to
/ items = ("Receiving $200.00 in 37 days")
it stops working if that is the response that should be returned. 

Any insight?

-Andrea

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hi Andrea,

I've tried to replicate the problem you described, but - alas - I couldn't. Even when changing

/ items = ("YES")

to
/ items = ("Receiving $200.00 in 37 days")

as you suggested, the response is returned correctly on my system. Have you made sure you're using the latest Inquisit version available?

Best wishes,
~Dave

syzygy42
syzygy42
The problem persists for me, and I checked - I am running the latest release of Inquisit 2 (2.0.61004.7).....

Does anyone have any ideas?  This is so frustrating. :(

Dave
Dave
Andrea,

can you attach the full, non-working script to this thread? I'd have to
see the whole thing in order to develop further ideas, because right now I haven't
got a clue...

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

Note to self.: Yay, 300 posts...;-)

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)

Sorry for the frustration Andrea. If you post your script, we can help.

P.S. to Dave: 300 posts? Wow.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search