Question about interpret IAT data

Author
zphermione
Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

I am encountering a data analysis problem and hope you could help me!  I am doing a research about letting participants read three positive or negative articles about female politicians and measuring their IAT before and after reading articles. As I read posts before, the association score between the target and attribute is the expression.d score in the output data, so I compared the means of expression.d scores between the before and after experiment IAT test. The result shows that participants who read positive articles, expression.d changed from-0.25 to -0.12. Does it mean their attitude has been improved? Or it means nothing? Or I am on a wrong way to deal with the data? 

Thank you very much for your help!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
zphermione - Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am encountering a data analysis problem and hope you could help me!  I am doing a research about letting participants read three positive or negative articles about female politicians and measuring their IAT before and after reading articles. As I read posts before, the association score between the target and attribute is the expression.d score in the output data, so I compared the means of expression.d scores between the before and after experiment IAT test. The result shows that participants who read positive articles, expression.d changed from-0.25 to -0.12. Does it mean their attitude has been improved? Or it means nothing? Or I am on a wrong way to deal with the data? 

> The result shows that participants who read positive articles, expression.d changed from-0.25 to -0.12

This depends on how you coded your categories. Generally speaking, both -0.25 and -0.12 are in the same direction. Using the conventional breakpoints, -0.25 would indicate a "slight" preference, whereas -0.12 would essentially indicate no preference in either direction (it's below the breakpoint for a slight effect; cf. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/background/raceinfo.html ).

As for how to best deal with this kind of design and data, the best advice I can give you is to look at other studies that have employed IATs in pretest-posttest designs.

zphermione
zphermione
Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)Associate Member (219 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Tuesday, May 15, 2018
zphermione - Tuesday, May 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

> The result shows that participants who read positive articles, expression.d changed from-0.25 to -0.12

This depends on how you coded your categories. Generally speaking, both -0.25 and -0.12 are in the same direction. Using the conventional breakpoints, -0.25 would indicate a "slight" preference, whereas -0.12 would essentially indicate no preference in either direction (it's below the breakpoint for a slight effect; cf. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/background/raceinfo.html ).

As for how to best deal with this kind of design and data, the best advice I can give you is to look at other studies that have employed IATs in pretest-posttest designs.

Hi Dave,
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!!!

Best,
Zhao
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search