RF-IAT group assignment

Author
Stimme
Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a question about the group assignment in the recoding free-IAT. 
I understand the importance of difference groupt in the standard IAT as we have to counterbalance the order of the presented pairing. But the recoding free IAT by definition has no order of pairings?! As I understood and tried it out, in the test trial the attribute changes randomly its position on the screen.
So do and if yes why do we need different groups? The User Manual says group1/group2 counterbalance the order in which the pairings are run“. But aren't the pairings randomly assigned either way?
One reason why this is important to me is that we also try to run the RF-IAT as a Web-Experiment and it seems that the random group assignment does not work, as all of our participants are in Group 1 and you don't have the opportunity to assign the groups manually in the web experiment. Therefore I need to know how important the different group assignments are (unfortunately the script can not be changed anymore)
Thank you for your help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Stimme - Friday, June 22, 2018
I understand the importance of difference groupt in the standard IAT as we have to counterbalance the order of the presented pairing. But the recoding free IAT by definition has no order of pairings?! As I understood and tried it out, in the test trial the attribute changes randomly its position on the screen.
So do and if yes why do we need different groups? The User Manual says group1/group2 counterbalance the order in which the pairings are run“. But aren't the pairings randomly assigned either way?
One reason why this is important to me is that we also try to run the RF-IAT as a Web-Experiment and it seems that the random group assignment does not work, as all of our participants are in Group 1 and you don't have the opportunity to assign the groups manually in the web experiment. Therefore I need to know how important the different group assignments are (unfortunately the script can not be changed anymore)
Thank you for your help!

No, the RF-IAT does not need different groups or any counterbalancing.

> The User Manual says group1/group2 counterbalance the order in which the pairings are run“.

Is a copy & paste mistake, it stems from the description of a standard IAT.

> But aren't the pairings randomly assigned either way?

And this is correct.

Stimme
Stimme
Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)Associate Member (254 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Friday, June 22, 2018
Stimme - Friday, June 22, 2018
Thank you for your help!

No, the RF-IAT does not need different groups or any counterbalancing.

> The User Manual says group1/group2 counterbalance the order in which the pairings are run“.

Is a copy & paste mistake, it stems from the description of a standard IAT.

> But aren't the pairings randomly assigned either way?

And this is correct.

thank you! Then I got it right and can prove my prof that he was wrong ;)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search