Inquisit web ignores updated files

Author
vbrown7
Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)Associate Member (138 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
vbrown7 - 11/19/2020
Dave - 11/19/2020
vbrown7 - 11/19/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
vbrown7 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 7/17/2018

Thanks for the link / demo. I'm definitely getting the correct "new" version (never saw or was administered the "old" version), see below:

That, taken together with

> I also found out that when I upload and save but don't run the old version before uploading the new one, I don't run into the issue (i.e. it shows 'new').

would suggest that the issue is indeed that the "old" version remains cached *locally* on your computer, i.e. clearing your browser cache and the system's temporary / temporary internet files should definitely fix that and result in you getting the correct "new" version after.

Hi Dave, I am having this same problem, and it's persisting despite clearing my browser cache and system temporary internet files and then restarting my browser. Is there a way to resolve this so I can run the updated versions without having to rename things?

Point me to the web experiment in question and detail what you changed (so I can determine whether I see the "new" or "old" file).

the link is here: https://mili2nd.co/dsvb
I changed a few things, but the first script to run in the batch (start.iqx) should say, "Thank you for agreeing to participate in this experiment! Please wait for the experimenter before continuing." The old version says to click or press space to begin instead of waiting for the experimenter.

Thank you. I can state that the "start.iqx" file uploaded is the correct one (https://scripts.millisecond.com/buerkem/supplementv1/start.iqx; saying ""Thank you for agreeing to participate in this experiment! Please wait for the experimenter before continuing." and taking mouse, not keyboard, input).

The above screenshot is from a test run of your online experiment conducted a few minutes ago (id: "test").

If you're still getting the previous file when running the online experiment, then that's due to a malfunctioning web cache server still handing out that file. As far as I can determine, none of the caches under our control still host the outdated file, so the malfunctioning web cache is likely on your ISP's or institution's network.

thanks for looking into this. I did do a test run to check before responding here and still saw the old stimuli, but your screenshot is the correct (new) one. I will look into the ISP cache and see if I can resolve things. I did have someone else confirm that they are seeing the new stimuli when they run it, so it will work for participants, but I'd like to be able to try out updates on my own machine. thanks again!

update: figured out the issue, and it's a mistake on my part, but I'm posting in case it's helpful to others - I had downloaded the previous version to test offline use, and had not unchecked the 'offline' box for the batch script (under tasks in InquisitPlayer). The previously downloaded offline version must override any other version when attempting to run from the web. Once I unchecked the offline box, I was able to see the updated version.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
vbrown7 - 11/19/2020

update: figured out the issue, and it's a mistake on my part, but I'm posting in case it's helpful to others - I had downloaded the previous version to test offline use, and had not unchecked the 'offline' box for the batch script (under tasks in InquisitPlayer). The previously downloaded offline version must override any other version when attempting to run from the web. Once I unchecked the offline box, I was able to see the updated version.

Thank you for the update. I had added the caveat about offline mode in my previous reply:

This assumes that you have not put the study into offline mode on your device (see the "Tests" tab in the Inquisit Player app). When in offline mode, the materials remain stored on your device and any changes will not be picked up until you toggle offline mode off and run through the study once again (you can put it back into offline mode after).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search