Key identification errors for some participants in Inquisit Web

Author
Deborah Apthorp
Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all, 

We are running an online experiment using a batch script in Inquisit Web. Everything ran fine with extensive piloting on various different systems (Windows and Mac). However, now that we have launched the experiment, some participants are reporting errors for one of the experiments. Specifically, we are running the Number/Letter task where participants are required to press the "E" and "I" keys to respond.
The error message is:

"%parameters.RightKeyLabel is invalid. Expression contains an unknown element or property name" 

The code for this is in the Parameters section, as follows: 

/leftKey = 18
/leftKeyLabel = "E"
/rightKey = 23
/rightKeyLabel = "I"

I am fairly sure this is the code that is throwing the error, and I am fairly sure the problem is having the key-codes hard-coded (so I'm guessing this isn't the same for all OS-es or keyboards?). Does anyone have a solution to this? 

On the other hand, it COULD be an HTML code error in this section: 

/2 = "~nIn this task you will be presented simple pairs of characters such as 'U2' or '3L'. One and only one of the characters is always a letter.
~nYour task is to decide as fast as possible whether the letter is a CONSONANT or a VOWEL.
~nPress the <%parameters.leftKeyLabel%> button if the letter is a <%expressions.left%>.
Press the <%parameters.rightKeyLabel%> button if the letter is a <%expressions.right%>.
~nIf you make a mistake, a red X appears. Simply correct your response and move on.

If this is the case, what is the solution? This is NOT occurring for every participant!!

Thanks!

Deborah.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
DeborahA - Sunday, July 29, 2018
Hi all, 

We are running an online experiment using a batch script in Inquisit Web. Everything ran fine with extensive piloting on various different systems (Windows and Mac). However, now that we have launched the experiment, some participants are reporting errors for one of the experiments. Specifically, we are running the Number/Letter task where participants are required to press the "E" and "I" keys to respond.
The error message is:

"%parameters.RightKeyLabel is invalid. Expression contains an unknown element or property name" 

/leftKey = 18
/leftKeyLabel = "E"
/rightKey = 23
/rightKeyLabel = "I"

I am fairly sure this is the code that is throwing the error, and I am fairly sure the problem is having the key-codes hard-coded (so I'm guessing this isn't the same for all OS-es or keyboards?). Does anyone have a solution to this? 

/2 = "~nIn this task you will be presented simple pairs of characters such as 'U2' or '3L'. One and only one of the characters is always a letter.
~nYour task is to decide as fast as possible whether the letter is a CONSONANT or a VOWEL.
~nPress the <%parameters.leftKeyLabel%> button if the letter is a <%expressions.left%>.
Press the <%parameters.rightKeyLabel%> button if the letter is a <%expressions.right%>.
~nIf you make a mistake, a red X appears. Simply correct your response and move on.

If this is the case, what is the solution? This is NOT occurring for every participant!!

Thanks!

Deborah.

The code looks fine and the scan codes don't vary for the E and I keys across different language keyboards as far as I'm aware.

The leading % in the error

indeed appears to point to the <item> element you included in your post, so this would suggest a parsing error resulting from the script having been corrupted during download or downloaded incompletely.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Dave
Deborah Apthorp
Deborah Apthorp
Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)Associate Member (166 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Monday, July 30, 2018
DeborahA - Sunday, July 29, 2018
Hi all, 

The error message is:

/leftKey = 18
/leftKeyLabel = "E"
/rightKey = 23
/rightKeyLabel = "I"

Thanks!

Deborah.

The code looks fine and the scan codes don't vary for the E and I keys across different language keyboards as far as I'm aware.

The leading % in the error

indeed appears to points to the <item> element you included in your post, so this would suggest a parsing error resulting from the script having been corrupted during download or downloaded incompletely.

Hi, 

Thanks, yes, I think that is the problem. 

So far we don't have any further errors of this nature. 

Best

Deborah.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search