Interpretation of emotional Stroop task

Author
shezza098
Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!
I am very new to Stroop task and have only just used it in my thesis (an emotional Stroop task) so I apologise if this question has an obvious answer.

I have collected my data and I was wondering how to go about analysing it.

From what I understand I will have to calculate an interference score (e.g., interference score = neutral word - negative word). For the neutral word score, do I just average the reaction times for all the neutral words and use that to calculate the interference score for each negative word and then average that to get a total score for negative word for each participant? Also how do the correct and incorrect responses fit into this?

I am sorry if this is obvious! I am new to Stroop.

Thanks!
Sherry
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
shezza098 - Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Hello! I am very new to Stroop task and have only just used it in my thesis (an emotional Stroop task) so I apologise if this question has an obvious answer. I have collected my data and I was wondering how to go about analysing it. From what I understand I will have to calculate an interference score (e.g., interference score = neutral word - negative word). For the neutral word score, do I just average the reaction times for all the neutral words and use that to calculate the interference score for each negative word and then average that to get a total score for negative word for each participant? Also how do the correct and incorrect responses fit into this? I am sorry if this is obvious! I am new to Stroop. Thanks! Sherry

Assuming you used this script, https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/v5/stroop/emotionalstroop/emotionalstroopwithkeyboardinput.manual , bias scores are already calculated and provided in your summary data file. See the expressions.Bias_Agg to expressions.Bias_Pos variables in the output.

They are calculated as the difference in mean latency between the emotional category minus the neutral category, as you can see here:

<expressions>
/percCorrect_Agg = (values.correct_aggressionwords/trial.aggression.trialcount) * 100
/percCorrect_Neg = (values.correct_negativewords/trial.negativeword.trialcount) * 100
/percCorrect_Neu = (values.correct_neutralwords/trial.neutralword.trialcount) * 100
/percCorrect_Col = (values.correct_colorwords/trial.colorword.trialcount) * 100
/percCorrect_Pos = (values.correct_positivewords/trial.positiveword.trialcount) * 100

/meanRT_Agg = values.sumrt_agg/values.correct_aggressionwords
/meanRT_Neg = values.sumrt_neg/values.correct_negativewords
/meanRT_Neu = values.sumrt_neu/values.correct_neutralwords
/meanRT_Pos = values.sumrt_pos/values.correct_positivewords
/meanRT_Col = values.sumrt_col/values.correct_colorwords

/Bias_Agg = expressions.meanrt_agg - expressions.meanrt_neu
/Bias_Neg = expressions.meanrt_neg - expressions.meanrt_neu
/Bias_Pos = expressions.meanrt_pos - expressions.meanrt_neu
/Bias_Col = expressions.meanrt_col - expressions.meanrt_neu

</expressions>

As you can also see in the user manual as well as in the above, only latencies stemming from *correct* responses are considered.

shezza098
shezza098
Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)Respected Member (391 reputation)
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for your help!! I realised my mistake, I modified the Stroop file to include my categories, but unfortunately didn’t change the summary file section in the instructions so it still reflects the original Stroop task (rookie mistake). I suppose I will just have to calculate the results from the raw data file.
Thanks!
Sherry
shezza098
shezza098
Hi Dave,

Just to confirm, the calculation for the raw data would be

MeanRT= sum of latency scores for aggression words/ # of correct responses

Bias for aggressive words = meanRT for agg words - mean RT for neutral words

Is that correct?

Thanks again! I appreciate your help!
Sherry
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
shezza098 - Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Hi Dave, Just to confirm, the calculation for the raw data would be MeanRT= sum of latency scores for aggression words/ # of correct responses Bias for aggressive words = meanRT for agg words - mean RT for neutral wordsIs that correct? Thanks again! I appreciate your help! Sherry

Yes, that is correct, but you only sum up the latencies for *correct* trials, you toss out all incorrect ones.

shezza098
shezza098
Yeah great!! Thanks again :)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search