Multiple Ports

Author
Kasia
Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Dear inquisit-experts!

I'm confronted with another problem in inquisit. I have to connect 2 ports: the laptop on which the inquisit file runs, further the inquisit file sends a marker to another computer which elicits shocks in the subjects, and a second marker is sent to a psychophysiological equipment.

My question is: how to combine those two ports. Can it be as simple as this:

<port W>

/ numitems = 1

/ port = com2 (i.e. the shock computer)

/ port = com1 (i.e. the physio computer)

/ subport = data

/ items = ("01000001")

/ select = sequence

</port>

or will this elicit interference?

Hope you can help me on this!

A huge thanx in advance!

Greetz

Kasia

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hey Kasia,

although I've never had to do anything like that in Inquisit, I've got some thoughts for you that might help.

In general, addressing multiple ports in a single Inquisit script shouldn't be a problem. I don't see why it would be, at least. But in order to do this, my best guess is that you'll have to define seperate <port> elements for each physical port you're trying to address. So, the code snippet you posted should probably be changed to something like:

<port W_COM1>
/ numitems = 1
/ port  = com1 (i.e. the physio computer)
/ subport = data
/ items = ("01000001")
/ select = sequence
</port>

<port W_COM2>

/ numitems = 1

/ port  = com2 (i.e. the shock computer)

/ subport = data

/ items = ("01000001")

/ select = sequence

</port>

And then, of course, you'll have to include both <port> stimuli in your trials. I'd also like to add that I find administering (electrical?) shocks to subjects highly unethical! Unless they deserve it, of course...;-)

Regards,
~Dave

P.S.: And please keep us posted on the outcome of this. The experiences you make in the process of setting this up might help others.

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Dave is correct as usual, and there should be no problem sending signals through different parallel and/or serial ports using a separate <port> element for each one.

Are you really going to shocking participants? Wow, psychological research sure has gotten more fun since I was in graduate school. [:)]

-Sean

Kasia
Kasia
Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)Partner Member (505 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Thanx for the tips! You rule :-)

and my participants not, so that's why I shock them ;-)

No, no worries about those shocks, the subjects themselves can choose how far they want to go with the intensity of those shocks :-)

I'll let you know if it works!

Regards,

Kasia

ps: Maybe you remember the hungry donkey questions? well: it all worked out well thanks to you guys!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search