Randomizing blocks / trials with no replacement

Author
Karoline
Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi,

I'm trying to create an experiment, in which I want to randomize 3 different blocks (each with different trials) and display a survey (in running number) after each block. I've found a forum discussion (https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic23902.aspx), which had some similarities, but instead of displaying the survey with a branch element I want to include it in the experiment element. Furthermore, I want to somehow randomize the experimental blocks and eliminate the possibility that one block is displayed more than once. So at the end, I want the following order of my experiment:
Part 1: randomized Block 1 or Block 2 or Block 3
Survey 1
Part 2: randomized Block 1 or Block 2 or Block 3 (no repeating of the same block as in Part 1)
Survey 2
Part 3: randomized Block 1 or Block 2 or Block 3 (no repeating of the same block as in Part 1 and 2)
Survey 3

Is there any way to write a code for this? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Karoline - Monday, November 26, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to create an experiment, in which I want to randomize 3 different blocks (each with different trials) and display a survey (in running number) after each block. I've found a forum discussion (https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic23902.aspx), which had some similarities, but instead of displaying the survey with a branch element I want to include it in the experiment element. Furthermore, I want to somehow randomize the experimental blocks and eliminate the possibility that one block is displayed more than once. So at the end, I want the following order of my experiment:
Part 1: randomized Block 1 or Block 2 or Block 3
Survey 1
Part 2: randomized Block 1 or Block 2 or Block 3 (no repeating of the same block as in Part 1)
Survey 2
Part 3: randomized Block 1 or Block 2 or Block 3 (no repeating of the same block as in Part 1 and 2)
Survey 3

Is there any way to write a code for this? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, this is easily possible. It goes like this:

<expt>
/ blocks = [1,3,5 = noreplace(block1, block2, block3); 2 = survey1; 4 =survey2; 6 = survey3]
</expt>

Karoline
Karoline
Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)Respected Member (477 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thanks for your immediate answer! That really helped a lot - I didn't realize that it's that easy and that I just can randomize separated blocks (1,3,5). So thanks again :)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search