select matching substrings of items 50% of the time?

Author
S F
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
hi! I'm trying to write a script that, half the time, will pair items from picture and audio elements randomly for a trial. However, I also want to be able to set how frequently it samples matching files (i.e. 50% of the time, if "acorn.mp3" is selected from the video/audio element, "acorn.jpg" should be selected from the picture element). 

I'm trying to build a toy example but I've gotten nowhere-- I wonder if there's a way to use the startswith function? Or if all the items appear in the same order I could use / select and have it select for the same index as the other element? But if I did that I'd have to create two sets of audio and video elements and I don't want items to repeat during the experiment, plus I'm not sure how I would randomize the selection order across the elements.

Any thoughts appreciated!

<picture pictures>
/items=("acorn.jpg", "apple.jpg", "balloon.jpg")
/ hposition = 50%
/ vposition = 50%
/ size = (300,300)
</picture>

<video audio>
/items=("acorn.mp3", "apple.mp3", "balloon.mp3")
</video>

<trial trial>
/ stimulusframes=[1=audio; 10=pictures]
/ inputdevice=keyboard
/ validresponse=(57)
/ timeout = 1600

</trial>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-3=trial]
</block>

<expt myexpt>
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
S F - Monday, December 10, 2018
hi! I'm trying to write a script that, half the time, will pair items from picture and audio elements randomly for a trial. However, I also want to be able to set how frequently it samples matching files (i.e. 50% of the time, if "acorn.mp3" is selected from the video/audio element, "acorn.jpg" should be selected from the picture element). 

I'm trying to build a toy example but I've gotten nowhere-- I wonder if there's a way to use the startswith function? Or if all the items appear in the same order I could use / select and have it select for the same index as the other element? But if I did that I'd have to create two sets of audio and video elements and I don't want items to repeat during the experiment, plus I'm not sure how I would randomize the selection order across the elements.

Any thoughts appreciated!

<picture pictures>
/items=("acorn.jpg", "apple.jpg", "balloon.jpg")
/ hposition = 50%
/ vposition = 50%
/ size = (300,300)
</picture>

<video audio>
/items=("acorn.mp3", "apple.mp3", "balloon.mp3")
</video>

<trial trial>
/ inputdevice=keyboard
/ validresponse=(57)
/ timeout = 1600

</trial>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-3=trial]
</block>

<expt myexpt>
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

Something like this should do the trick:

<values>
/ pictureitem = 1
/ audioitem = 1
</values>

// 1 item is required for each "match" trial
// 2 items are required for each "no match" trial
// with 2 "match" trials and 2 "no match" trials,
// we need (2 x 1) + (2 x 2) = 6 items
// if no item is to repeat during the block
<list itemnumbers>
/ poolsize = 6
/ selectionrate = always
/ selectionmode = random
/ replace = false
</list>

<text pictures>
/items=("a.jpg", "b.jpg", "c.jpg", "d.jpg", "e.jpg", "f.jpg")
/ select = values.pictureitem
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<text audio>
/items=("a.mp3", "b.mp3", "c.mp3", "d.mp3", "e.mp3", "f.mp3")
/ select = values.audioitem
/ position = (50%, 60%)
</text>

// we sample one item number from the list
// and use it for both audio and picture
<trial match>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.audioitem = list.itemnumbers.nextindex;
values.pictureitem = values.audioitem;
]
/ inputdevice=keyboard
/ validresponse=(57)
/ timeout = 1600
</trial>

// we sample two item numbers from the list
// one for the audio and a different one for the picture
<trial nomatch>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.audioitem = list.itemnumbers.nextindex;
values.pictureitem = list.itemnumbers.nextindex;
]
/ inputdevice=keyboard
/ validresponse=(57)
/ timeout = 1600
</trial>

// we sample match and no match trials in equal proportions
<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-4 = noreplace(match, nomatch)]
</block>

<expt myexpt>
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

S F
S F
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This is fantastic, thank you! I'm expanding it to have many more items and I've just scaled up the pool size in multiples of 6 (as well as the items) and incremented the trials in multiples of 4.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
S F - Monday, December 10, 2018
This is fantastic, thank you! I'm expanding it to have many more items and I've just scaled up the pool size in multiples of 6 (as well as the items) and incremented the trials in multiples of 4.

Great! You are not restricted to multiples of 6 and 4, though, anything else works as well. For example, if you wanted to end up with, say, 45 match trials and 45 no-match trials (90 total), that would work out to 135 items needed.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search