Random trial selection with branching

Author
EstherKlinkenberg
Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear all,

I'm struggling to create an experiment in which Inquisit randomly selects one of my three trial types. I've got multiple trials differing in how fast a stimulus will be presented after the mouse click of a participant. I would like to add a condition in which the trials are selected randomly.

my branching code:

/ branch = [if (trial.1to4arrow_direct_500.response == "player4label") trial.1to3arrow_direct_500_excluded]
/ branch = [if (trial.1to4arrow_direct_500.response == 0) trial.1to4_direct_500]

In both the trial.1to3arrow_direct_500_excluded and the trial.1to4_direct_500 the "500" stands for the ms it takes for a stimulus to appear. I created two other conditions in which the ms are 1000 and 1500. I would like to create a condition in which inquisit randomly selects the 500, 1000 or 1500 ms trial. I started making a <list> element with all the trials, however, now I am not sure how to tell inquisit to randomly select a trial from that list (including the if statements for the responses).

I hope this makes sense, if not, I could try explaining it with my whole code but since it is quite elaborate I hope this is clear enough.

Thank you in advance for helping!

Kind regards, 
Esther 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
EstherKlinkenberg - Monday, December 17, 2018
Dear all,

I'm struggling to create an experiment in which Inquisit randomly selects one of my three trial types. I've got multiple trials differing in how fast a stimulus will be presented after the mouse click of a participant. I would like to add a condition in which the trials are selected randomly.

my branching code:

/ branch = [if (trial.1to4arrow_direct_500.response == "player4label") trial.1to3arrow_direct_500_excluded]
/ branch = [if (trial.1to4arrow_direct_500.response == 0) trial.1to4_direct_500]

In both the trial.1to3arrow_direct_500_excluded and the trial.1to4_direct_500 the "500" stands for the ms it takes for a stimulus to appear. I created two other conditions in which the ms are 1000 and 1500. I would like to create a condition in which inquisit randomly selects the 500, 1000 or 1500 ms trial. I started making a <list> element with all the trials, however, now I am not sure how to tell inquisit to randomly select a trial from that list (including the if statements for the responses).

I hope this makes sense, if not, I could try explaining it with my whole code but since it is quite elaborate I hope this is clear enough.

Kind regards, 
Esther 

Suppose you have three <trial> elements a, b and c. You want ten each, and /branch to them randomly. Then you do

<list triallist>
/ items = (trial.a, trial.b, trial.c)
/ poolsize = 30
/ selectionmode = random
/ replace = false
</list>

with

<trial example>
/ branch = [if (true) list.triallist.nextvalue]
</trial>

Edited 6 Years Ago by Dave
EstherKlinkenberg
EstherKlinkenberg
Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Monday, December 17, 2018
EstherKlinkenberg - Monday, December 17, 2018
Dear all,

my branching code:

Kind regards, 
Esther 

Suposse you have three <trial> elements a, b and c. You want ten each, and /branch to them randomly. Then you do

<list triallist>
/ items = (trial.a, trial.b, trial.c)
/ poolsize = 30
/ selectionmode = random
/ replace = false
</list>

with

<trial example>
/ branch = [if (true) list.triallist.nextvalue]
</trial>

Thanks!!

GO