Re-direct to external URL at finish, without Subject ID as part of the URL?

Re-direct to external URL at finish, without Subject ID as part of the...
Author
MaggieFox
Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,
I'm running an experiment where participants use Qualtrics to fill out a survey, and then are directed to Inqisit 4 to perform a batch of experiments, and then back to a separate Qualtrics survey to enter some personal details (participants are offered the chance at winning a gift card as an incentive to complete the tasks). Our ethics review has requested that we ensure that the identifying information that we collect as part of the prize draw be kept separate and secure from the other data.

Our original plan was to use the "Redirect to an external website" option when setting up the experiment, but this seems to include the subject ID within the URL. Is there a way to turn this option off, or to mask the Subject ID in some manner? I'm not overly familiar with the set-up at Qualtrics, and I can't see anything that would allow a person to match the responses given in the survey to the URL used to access the page - but this is far from my forte.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
MaggieFox - Sunday, February 3, 2019
Hi there,
I'm running an experiment where participants use Qualtrics to fill out a survey, and then are directed to Inqisit 4 to perform a batch of experiments, and then back to a separate Qualtrics survey to enter some personal details (participants are offered the chance at winning a gift card as an incentive to complete the tasks). Our ethics review has requested that we ensure that the identifying information that we collect as part of the prize draw be kept separate and secure from the other data.

Our original plan was to use the "Redirect to an external website" option when setting up the experiment, but this seems to include the subject ID within the URL. Is there a way to turn this option off, or to mask the Subject ID in some manner? I'm not overly familiar with the set-up at Qualtrics, and I can't see anything that would allow a person to match the responses given in the survey to the URL used to access the page - but this is far from my forte.

Cheers!

You have two options basically:
(1) Your 2nd Qualtrics survey (the one with the personal details) doesn't need to log the subject ID, it can just ignore it. You should not need to do anything for this to work, simply don't capture the respective query parameter via Qualtrics' "embedded data".
(2) You can also suppress Inquisit sending any query parameters over to Qualtrics. To do this, do NOT use the "Redirect to external website" option in the web settings, but instead set the URL you need to redirect to directly in the Inquisit script, as in

<expt>
/ onexptend = [defaults.finishpage = text.finishurl.item.1]
</expt>

where

<text finishurl>
/ items = ("https://urlforyoursecondqualtricssurvey")
</text>

MaggieFox
MaggieFox
Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)Respected Member (374 reputation)
Dave - Monday, February 4, 2019
Hi there,

Cheers!

(1) Your 2nd Qualtrics survey (the one with the personal details) doesn't need to log the subject ID, it can just ignore it. You should not need to do anything for this to work, simply don't capture the respective query parameter via Qualtrics' "embedded data".
(2) You can also suppress Inquisit sending any query parameters over to Qualtrics. To do this, do NOT use the "Redirect to external website" option in the web settings, but instead set the URL you need to redirect to directly in the Inquisit script, as in

<expt>
</expt>

where

<text finishurl>
</text>

Hi Dave,
You are a wizard! With the second option, is there a way that I can add this into a batch script (like, just tack it onto the end of a batch)?

I gave it a run through with this script, and I couldn't seem to get it to work with the batch script (apologies if this was necessary information before).

Cheers!
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = random
/ file = "test1.iqx"
/ file = "test2.iqx"
/ file = "test3.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ file = "test1.iqx"
/ file = "test3.iqx"
/ file = "test2.iqx"
</batch>

<expt>
</expt>

<text finishurl>
/ items = ("https://[oursurveypage.com]")
</text>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
MaggieFox - Monday, February 4, 2019
Dave - Monday, February 4, 2019
Hi there,

Cheers!

<expt>
</expt>

where

<text finishurl>
</text>

Hi Dave,
You are a wizard! With the second option, is there a way that I can add this into a batch script (like, just tack it onto the end of a batch)?

I gave it a run through with this script, and I couldn't seem to get it to work with the batch script (apologies if this was necessary information before).

Cheers!
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ file = "test1.iqx"
/ file = "test2.iqx"
/ file = "test3.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ file = "test1.iqx"
/ file = "test3.iqx"
/ file = "test2.iqx"
</batch>

<expt>
</expt>

<text finishurl>
</text>

Under Inquisit 4 Web, you'd simply add a small, 4th script and run that at the very end of both <batch> elements. E.g. make a small script called "setfinishurl.iqx", with contents along the following line:

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [defaults.finishpage = text.finishurl.item.1]
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ recorddata = false
/ trialduration = 100
/ validresponse = (0)
</trial>

<text finishurl>
</text>

and then you'd add that as your final script to your <batch>es:

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ file = "test1.iqx"
/ file = "test2.iqx"
/ file = "test3.iqx"
/ file = "setfinishurl.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ file = "test1.iqx"
/ file = "test3.iqx"
/ file = "test2.iqx"
/ file = "setfinishurl.iqx"
</batch>

MaggieFox
MaggieFox
Ah, that's so clever! Thank you Dave, this will work perfectly :)

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search