Conditional use of a list

Author
EstherKlinkenberg
Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)Partner Member (571 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear all,

For an adjusted version of the cyberball game I am trying to use a list element within an if statement.

The idea is that when participants click on a certain player to throw the ball, the ball sometimes is thrown to a different player. Therefore, I created lists. When the participants' response is, for example, "player1label", I want to tell Inquisit to use the list.recipient1. Based on the value of this list I want values to change and the next trial also depends on the value of that list. Right now the script just quits, so obviously something is wrong. I am just not sure how to do this correctly.

I hope my question is clear, I included my code below.

<trial 1to2_unpred_motiv>
/ontrialbegin = [values.player = 2]
/ ontrialbegin = [shape.progressbar.width=100%*(values.count_throws/25)]
/ stimulusframes = [1 = 1to2, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label, durgameinstr, progressbar, text.score]
/ validresponse = (text.player1label, text.player3label, text.player4label)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ontrialend = [if (trial.1to2_unpred_motiv.response == "player1label") {values.recipient = list.recipient1}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.1to2_unpred_motiv.response == "player3label") {values.recipient = list.recipient3}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.1to2_unpred_motiv.response == "player4label") {values.recipient = list.recipient4}]
/ ontrialend = [if (values.recipient == 1){values.count_player2throws += 1; values.count_throws +=1; values.count_21 += 1; values.score -=2}]
/ ontrialend = [if (values.recipient == 3){values.count_player2throws += 1; values.count_throws +=1; values.count_23 += 1; values.score +=2}]
/ ontrialend = [if (values.recipient == 4){values.count_player2throws += 1; values.count_throws +=1; values.count_24 += 1; values.score +=2}]
/ branch = [if (list.recipient1.currentvalue == 1) trial.2to1_unpred_motiv]
/ branch = [if (list.recipient3.currentvalue == 3) trial.2to3_unpred_motiv]
/ branch = [if (list.recipient4.currentvalue == 4) trial.2to4_unpred_motiv]
</trial>

Thank you in advance for you answer.

Kind regards,

Esther

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
EstherKlinkenberg - Thursday, February 14, 2019
Dear all,

For an adjusted version of the cyberball game I am trying to use a list element within an if statement.

The idea is that when participants click on a certain player to throw the ball, the ball sometimes is thrown to a different player. Therefore, I created lists. When the participants' response is, for example, "player1label", I want to tell Inquisit to use the list.recipient1. Based on the value of this list I want values to change and the next trial also depends on the value of that list. Right now the script just quits, so obviously something is wrong. I am just not sure how to do this correctly.

I hope my question is clear, I included my code below.

<trial 1to2_unpred_motiv>
/ontrialbegin = [values.player = 2]
/ ontrialbegin = [shape.progressbar.width=100%*(values.count_throws/25)]
/ stimulusframes = [1 = 1to2, player1label, player2label, player3label, player4label, durgameinstr, progressbar, text.score]
/ validresponse = (text.player1label, text.player3label, text.player4label)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ontrialend = [if (trial.1to2_unpred_motiv.response == "player1label") {values.recipient = list.recipient1}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.1to2_unpred_motiv.response == "player3label") {values.recipient = list.recipient3}]
/ontrialend = [if (trial.1to2_unpred_motiv.response == "player4label") {values.recipient = list.recipient4}]
/ ontrialend = [if (values.recipient == 1){values.count_player2throws += 1; values.count_throws +=1; values.count_21 += 1; values.score -=2}]
/ ontrialend = [if (values.recipient == 3){values.count_player2throws += 1; values.count_throws +=1; values.count_23 += 1; values.score +=2}]
/ ontrialend = [if (values.recipient == 4){values.count_player2throws += 1; values.count_throws +=1; values.count_24 += 1; values.score +=2}]
/ branch = [if (list.recipient1.currentvalue == 1) trial.2to1_unpred_motiv]
/ branch = [if (list.recipient3.currentvalue == 3) trial.2to3_unpred_motiv]
/ branch = [if (list.recipient4.currentvalue == 4) trial.2to4_unpred_motiv]
</trial>

Thank you in advance for you answer.

Kind regards,

Esther

The code is too incomplete to say anything about it. At a minimum, the actual <list> would be needed. Note that list.recipentX.currentvalue will not sample any value from the list. The way to sample a value from a list would be list.recipientX.nextvalue.

Also, these sections do not make sense:

You're not setting values.recipient to anything here. list.recipientX does not return anything. Again, to sample an item / value from the respective list, use the nextvalue property.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search