Reading order of blocks in data

Author
linatet
Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

My version is actually 5, but for some reason I am not allowed to post on the Inquisit 5 forum.
I want to know how I can identify in the data the order participants saw the blocks. This is the part of the script I divide conditions:

<expt conditionA>
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
/ groupassignment = random
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionB>
/ subjects = (2 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionC>
/ subjects = (3 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionD>
/ subjects = (4 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionE>
/ subjects = (5 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionF>
/ subjects = (6 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionG>
/ subjects = (7 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionH>
/ subjects = (8 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

Note that the assignment is random and not by subject number or condition. How can I see in the study data the order participants saw the blocks? Thank you so much!!

Edited 5 Years Ago by linatet
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
linatet - Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Hi,

My version is actually 5, but for some reason I am not allowed to post on the Inquisit 5 forum.
I want to know how I can identify in the data the order participants saw the blocks. This is the part of the script I divide conditions:

<expt conditionA>
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionB>
/ subjects = (2 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionC>
/ subjects = (3 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionD>
/ subjects = (4 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionE>
/ subjects = (5 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionF>
/ subjects = (6 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionG>
/ subjects = (7 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionH>
/ subjects = (8 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

Note that the assignment is random and not by subject number or condition. How can I see in the study data the order participants saw the blocks? Thank you so much!!

You can do one of four things:
(1) Look at the raw data files, where you'll directly see in which order the blocks were run.
(2) Choose a different /groupassignment method (subjectnumber or groupnumber), then you can directly infer the order from the automatically logged subject or group variable in your data files (see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic13856.aspx).
(3) Log script.groupassignmentcode to the data file(s) as in

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=a; 2=b]
</expt>

<expt>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=b; 2=a]
</expt>

<block a>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block b>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ trialduration = 10
</trial>

<summarydata>
/ columns = (script.groupassignmentcode)
</summarydata>

and then you can apply the same method detailed under (2) to the groupassignmentcode variable (https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/properties/groupassignmentcode.htm).

(4) Record the order in a <values> entry /onexptbegin and log that value to the data file:

<values>
/ blockorder = 0
</values>

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
values.blockorder = 1;
]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=a; 2=b]
</expt>

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
values.blockorder = 2;
]
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=b; 2=a]
</expt>

<block a>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block b>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ trialduration = 10
</trial>

<summarydata>
/ columns = (values.blockorder)
</summarydata>

linatet
linatet
Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)Respected Member (424 reputation)
Thank you for the reply!
Regarding number 1, how do I see the block order in the data file? Sorry if this is a simple question, but I can't find it. 
I can tell which blocks participants saw based on the answers, but not which order.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
linatet - Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Thank you for the reply!
Regarding number 1, how do I see the block order in the data file? Sorry if this is a simple question, but I can't find it. 
I can tell which blocks participants saw based on the answers, but not which order.

Typically, your *raw* data files will have "blockcode" and "blocknum" columns, which you can read top to down:

Here the order is A -> B

And here the order is B -> A

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
linatet
linatet
Thank you so much!! You are a great help.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search