Continue button disappearing for small group of participants

Author
cfinlm
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I've been using the same scripts with the same group of participants for 3 years now (it's a longitudinal study with data collection occurring once a year). There are 5 scripts in total, including IATs and more traditional survey questions. About 20 subjects have participated so far and 3 of them have had the same problem with the survey script attached (which is script 4 in the study). For all three, after they get about mid-way through the script to the question about electives the continue button disappears and they cannot continue with the rest of the survey. For 1 of the three it completely froze their computer. The other 2 were able to control-Q to get to the next script but this leaves a lot of missing information. All three tried multiple times on different browsers and kept having the same issue. I've run the script myself and am not able to replicate the issue the select few are having. However, I'd like to prevent this from happening if possible, not only because it frustrates the participants but also results in data loss. Is there something wrong with the script? or might this have to do with something related to their computers?

Thanks!
Carli
Attachments
survey.iqx (357 views, 10.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
cfinlm - Friday, May 3, 2019
Hello,

I've been using the same scripts with the same group of participants for 3 years now (it's a longitudinal study with data collection occurring once a year). There are 5 scripts in total, including IATs and more traditional survey questions. About 20 subjects have participated so far and 3 of them have had the same problem with the survey script attached (which is script 4 in the study). For all three, after they get about mid-way through the script to the question about electives the continue button disappears and they cannot continue with the rest of the survey. For 1 of the three it completely froze their computer. The other 2 were able to control-Q to get to the next script but this leaves a lot of missing information. All three tried multiple times on different browsers and kept having the same issue. I've run the script myself and am not able to replicate the issue the select few are having. However, I'd like to prevent this from happening if possible, not only because it frustrates the participants but also results in data loss. Is there something wrong with the script? or might this have to do with something related to their computers?

Thanks!
Carli

I have not been able to reproduce this yet either, but looking at the layout of <surveypage coursework>

<surveypage coursework>
/ caption = "Please answer the following questions (continued)"
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", -20, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ questions = [1=curriculum; 2=disabledfaculty; 3=disabledlectures; 4=disabledpatients; 5=electives]
</surveypage>

and the questions on it, I think it's possible that <textbox electives>

<textbox electives>
/ caption = "Did you have options for electives this year? If so, which have you taken (name and department). If not, please put n/a."
/ multiline = true
/ textboxsize = (70, 10)
</textbox>

is sized and may be positioned such that it could effectively cover up the navigation buttons on some screens.

Explicitly setting the navigation buttons to a lower position either on that single page or for the <survey> as a whole may resolve that problem.

<surveypage coursework>
/ backbuttonposition = (40%, 95%)
/ nextbuttonposition = (50%, 95%)
/ caption = "Please answer the following questions (continued)"
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", -20, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ questions = [1=curriculum; 2=disabledfaculty; 3=disabledlectures; 4=disabledpatients; 5=electives]
</surveypage>

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
cfinlm
cfinlm
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you! I will try that with the navigation buttons.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search