Coding response keys

Author
stefaniafranja
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello! 
I am just attempting to re-code some response keys, after doing some googling, i found that what google said and what has previously been used for coding response keys do not match (i,e,, for response "E" previous inquist program had response_key as "18", whereas a coding blog gave me a table which suggests that the corresponding code for "E" would be 69). 
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a key for this for inqusit. I am hoping to have my two response keys (left and right) be "z" and "/". 
Any help most appreciated!
Best, 
stefania 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
stefaniafranja - Tuesday, May 7, 2019
Hello! 
I am just attempting to re-code some response keys, after doing some googling, i found that what google said and what has previously been used for coding response keys do not match (i,e,, for response "E" previous inquist program had response_key as "18", whereas a coding blog gave me a table which suggests that the corresponding code for "E" would be 69). 
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a key for this for inqusit. I am hoping to have my two response keys (left and right) be "z" and "/". 
Best, 
stefania 

The keyboard scan code for "E" is 18. Scan codes are what Inquisit uses. That coding blog was talking about something else, probably char codes as used in Java Script or the like. Scan codes and char codes (sometimes also called key codes) are not the same thing.

If you want to know a particular key's scan code on your keyboard, you can use Tools -> Keyboard Scancodes in Inquisit Lab's menu.

Assuming a standard English keyboard layout (QWERTY), you can alternatively use the table in the documentation:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/scancodes.htm

Note that scan codes reflect a given key's position on the keyboard rather than the key's associated character. This matters if you're likely to encounter different keyboard layouts / languages. For example, on a standard English QWERTY keyboard, scancode 16 maps to "Q". On a French AZERTY keyboard, scancode 16 maps to "A" (and so forth).

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
stefaniafranja
stefaniafranja
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - Tuesday, May 7, 2019
stefaniafranja - Tuesday, May 7, 2019
Hello! 
Best, 
stefania 

The keyboard scan code for "E" is 18. Scan codes are what Inquisit uses. That coding blog was talking about something else, probably char codes as used in Java Script or the like. Scan codes and char codes (sometimes also called key codes) are not the same thing.

If you want to know a particular key's scan code on your keyboard, you can use Tools -> Keyboard Scancodes in Inquisit Lab's menu.

Assuming a standard English keyboard layout (QWERTY), you can alternatively use the table in the documentation:
https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/scancodes.htm

Note that scan codes reflect a given key's position on the keyboard rather than the key's associated character. This matters if you're likely to encounter different keyboard layouts / languages. For example, on a standard English QWERTY keyboard, scancode 16 maps to "Q". On a French AZERTY keyboard, scancode 16 maps to "A" (and so forth).

Ah! this makes a lot of sense! thanks so much for the help, Dave. 
All the best, 
stefania 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search