Identifying Group ID

Author
juliasmith
Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I conducted an experiment last year where participants did the OSPAN and n-back tasks before doing a Qualtrics questionnaire. They were randomly assigned to do one or the other first using the following script:
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = random
/ file = "shortfrenchversionnback.iqx"
/ file = "shortfrenchversionospan.iqx"
</batch>

//order 2: B -> A -> Qualtrics
<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

We are analyzing the data and are a bit puzzled by identifying the group ID. Is it correct that group ID 1 = did the n-back first and group ID 2 = did OSPAN first? Some of the participant start times seem to not line up with this and so I am not sure if I have correctly understood.

Thanks for your help!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
juliasmith - Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Hi there,

I conducted an experiment last year where participants did the OSPAN and n-back tasks before doing a Qualtrics questionnaire. They were randomly assigned to do one or the other first using the following script:
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

We are analyzing the data and are a bit puzzled by identifying the group ID. Is it correct that group ID 1 = did the n-back first and group ID 2 = did OSPAN first? Some of the participant start times seem to not line up with this and so I am not sure if I have correctly understood.

Thanks for your help!

> Is it correct that group ID 1 = did the n-back first and group ID 2 = did OSPAN first?

No, you assigned the order of the tasks randomly per

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

The order was not based on the group ID. If it had been, you would have had to specify

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

juliasmith
juliasmith
Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)
Dave - Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Hi there,

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

> Is it correct that group ID 1 = did the n-back first and group ID 2 = did OSPAN first?

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

The order was not based on the group ID. If it had been, you would have had to specify

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your reply. What does the groupID represent? Is there a way to identify the order, other than looking at the start times of each individual participant?
Best,
Julia

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Hi there,

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your reply. What does the groupID represent? Is there a way to identify the order, other than looking at the start times of each individual participant?
Best,
Julia

The group id, in your case, probably does not represent anything, since neither the <batch> nor any of the two tasks involved made use of the group id to assign any between-subjects conditions. Since the random assignment you used in your <batch> elements isn't logged anywhere, you need to go through the start times to determine the order a given participant received.

juliasmith
juliasmith
Hi there,

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

Thanks for your help!

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

Dear Dave,

Best,
Julia

The group id, in your case, probably does not represent anything, since neither the <batch> nor any of the two tasks involved made use of the group id to assign any between-subjects conditions. Since the random assignment you used in your <batch> elements isn't logged anywhere, you need to go through the start times to determine the order a given participant received.

Hi Dave,

I see, thank you for explaining. Is there a way to apply the formula listed in this topic to the data?
https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic13856.aspx

Dave
Dave

Hi Dave,

I see, thank you for explaining. Is there a way to apply the formula listed in this topic to the data?
https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic13856.aspx

No. As I said, the random code the batch generated to assign to one of your two <batch> conditions was not logged anywhere, so there's nothing to apply that formula to.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search