Replacing a text item multiple times within a trial

Author
pops
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,
I'm trying to display a counter that starts at 1 and goes up to (max) 60 at approximately 100 ms per number. I can't use a video because I need to end the trial when the counter gets up to a certain number (different per participant). Using the clock (stopwatch) element will take too long (will only advance in increments of 1 second).

I am trying to do this using one text element (text.LevelCountUp) with multiple items (/items = ("1", "2") etc .
Then, during the trial, I use the insertstimulustime command to try and present the numbers sequentially at a rate of 100 ms. Here is a short version.

<trial CountUpPoints>
/ ontrialbegin =[trial.CountUpPoints.clearstimulusframes();
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(picture.LevelUp, 0);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(1),100);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(2),200);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(3),300);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(4),400);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(5),500);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(6),600);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(7),700);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(8),800);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(9),900);]
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

Needless to say it is not working. Is this because I can only present one unique item from a text element on each trial? Should I make 60 unique text elements and then set their onsettimes within the trial?
I realise that I could run 60 trials selecting the next text item at the beginning of each trial (which would prob be more efficient coding wise) but then this means that I am creating a unique block, which makes integration at the <expt> level more complicated.
Any thoughts appreciated on the best way forward.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
pops - 5/27/2019
Hi there,
I'm trying to display a counter that starts at 1 and goes up to (max) 60 at approximately 100 ms per number. I can't use a video because I need to end the trial when the counter gets up to a certain number (different per participant). Using the clock (stopwatch) element will take too long (will only advance in increments of 1 second).

I am trying to do this using one text element (text.LevelCountUp) with multiple items (/items = ("1", "2") etc .
Then, during the trial, I use the insertstimulustime command to try and present the numbers sequentially at a rate of 100 ms. Here is a short version.

<trial CountUpPoints>
/ ontrialbegin =[trial.CountUpPoints.clearstimulusframes();
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(picture.LevelUp, 0);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(1),100);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(2),200);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(3),300);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(4),400);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(5),500);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(6),600);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(7),700);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(8),800);
trial.CountUpPoints.insertstimulustime(text.LevelCountUp.item(9),900);]
/timeout = 1000
</trial>

Needless to say it is not working. Is this because I can only present one unique item from a text element on each trial? Should I make 60 unique text elements and then set their onsettimes within the trial?
I realise that I could run 60 trials selecting the next text item at the beginning of each trial (which would prob be more efficient coding wise) but then this means that I am creating a unique block, which makes integration at the <expt> level more complicated.
Any thoughts appreciated on the best way forward.

> Needless to say it is not working. Is this because I can only present one unique item from a text element on each trial?

Yes, that's exactly right.

> Should I make 60 unique text elements and then set their onsettimes within the trial?

That would be the way to go.

pops
pops
Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I realised that I could just make one looping trial with the branch element at the end to repeat it so integration at the <block> and <expt> levels is actually very simple. So I now have one list of items, one text element and one trial - much more sensible! Thanks for the fast response.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search