Modifying number & type of trials in Approach/Avoidance (AAT) script

Author
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 7/8/2019
Dave - 7/8/2019

Thanks for the file. The code as-is does not make use of the generated sequence, so -- right now -- it doesn't really make sense to run the sequence generation block at all. The freezing / blank screen occurs because, as I suspected, the generator runs into an unrecoverable state or endless loop because it cannot create a suitable sequence. Some of that is due to misconfiguration of the various <values>. /totaltrialcount ought to specify the desired length of the sequence, that is the total amount of trials you want to create a sequence for. /count1 to /count8 ought to reflect the desired number of trials for each respective category (it's 10 per category in the original); neither /totaltrialcount nor the /count1 to /count8 values may all be set to zero as in your modification of the sequence generator.

Also note that, if you do change the values for /count1 to /count8, you need to modify the reset logic in <trial selectnumber> accordingly, otherwise they'll end up being reset to the default 10:

/ontrialend = [if (values.reset == true)
{
values.sequence = "";
values.index = 0; values.count_comparecat = 0; values.count_compareformat = 0;
values.runcount_1 = 0; values.runcount_2 = 0; values.runcount_3 = 0; values.runcount_4 = 0;
values.runcount_A = 0; values.runcount_B = 0;
values.count1 = 10; values.count2 = 10; values.count3 = 10; values.count4 = 10; values.count5 = 10; values.count6 = 10; values.count7 = 10; values.count8 = 10;
list.stimcats.reset()
}]

As I've said before, I don't necessarily think relying on the sequence generator is recommendable in your case, especially since you effectively seem to want two separate / distinct sequences (one for the trained, another for the untrained part) with different parameters. I don't see a straightforward way to extend the generator to create such a thing in one go.

I've coded up a stand-alone version the sequence generator that displays the generated sequence and its various parameters on-screen as it occurs in real time. It will alert to you resets as well as successful sequence generation and display the results on the monitor for review. This should make it easier to understand its mechanics, toy around with different settings and modifications and then examine their effects on sequence generation.

Dave,
Thank you so very much for all of this help!! Since you don't recommend the sequence generator for my particular experiment, please let me know if this is the way you would recommend I proceed. I could put the threat and neutral images into 2 categories, then change "values.targetformat = "l";" to generate whether its landscape or portrait, not using the sequence generator for this? I would need 50% to be landscape and 50% to be portrait however, and am not randomizing across participants but within the trial 50/50. So not sure how to modify that.

And since you said I should change the values, since my experiment is 6 repetitions and 480 trials overall, would "totaltrialcount" be 6 here, or 480? also not sure if I would change any of the other values. Thank you so much for your patience with me as I learn this!

My experiment is:
a. First half of assessment:
          1. 8 threat photos in landscape - 6 times. 48 photos.

2. 8 threat photos in portrait (same ones) - 6 times. 48 photos.

3. 8 Neutral photos in landscape  - 6 times. 48 photos.

4. 8 Neutral photos in portrait (same ones)  - 6 times. 48 photos.

5. There is break every 96 photos

b. Second half of assessment: 
          1. 12 threat photos in landscape - 6 times. 72 photos.

2. 12 threat photos in portrait (same ones) - 6 times. 72 photos.

3. 12 Neutral photos in landscape - 6 times. 72 photos.

4. 12 Neutral photos in portrait (same ones) - 6 times. 72 photos.

5. There is break every 96 photos.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

<values >
/ totaltrialcount = 0
/ nextstimulus = 0
/ selectstimulus = 0
/ targetcategory = 0
/ targetformat = ""
/ repeat = 0
/ selectpracticepicture = 0
/ starttime = 0
/ endtime = 0
/ expcondition = 0
/ format1 = 0
/ format2 = 0
/ startheight_A = 0
/ startheight_B = 0
/ Maxheight_px = display.canvasheight
/ joystick_y = 0
<trial AAT_1untrained>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.selectstimulus = list.category1.nextvalue;
values.targetcategory = 1;
values.targetformat = "l";
picture.targetstimulus.height = values.startheight_A;
values.starttime = script.elapsedtime;
values.endtime = 0;
values.completeRT = 0;
values.changedirection = 0;
values.finalresponse="";
/ completeRT = 0
/ changedirection = 0
/ joystick_change = 0
/ trialcode = 0
/ RT = 0
/ correct = 0
/ stimulus = 0
/ initialresponse = ""
/ finalresponse = ""
/ completed = 0
</values>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
inquisituser22 - 7/9/2019
Dave - 7/8/2019
Dave - 7/8/2019

Thanks for the file. The code as-is does not make use of the generated sequence, so -- right now -- it doesn't really make sense to run the sequence generation block at all. The freezing / blank screen occurs because, as I suspected, the generator runs into an unrecoverable state or endless loop because it cannot create a suitable sequence. Some of that is due to misconfiguration of the various <values>. /totaltrialcount ought to specify the desired length of the sequence, that is the total amount of trials you want to create a sequence for. /count1 to /count8 ought to reflect the desired number of trials for each respective category (it's 10 per category in the original); neither /totaltrialcount nor the /count1 to /count8 values may all be set to zero as in your modification of the sequence generator.

Also note that, if you do change the values for /count1 to /count8, you need to modify the reset logic in <trial selectnumber> accordingly, otherwise they'll end up being reset to the default 10:

/ontrialend = [if (values.reset == true)
{
values.sequence = "";
values.index = 0; values.count_comparecat = 0; values.count_compareformat = 0;
values.runcount_1 = 0; values.runcount_2 = 0; values.runcount_3 = 0; values.runcount_4 = 0;
values.runcount_A = 0; values.runcount_B = 0;
values.count1 = 10; values.count2 = 10; values.count3 = 10; values.count4 = 10; values.count5 = 10; values.count6 = 10; values.count7 = 10; values.count8 = 10;
list.stimcats.reset()
}]

As I've said before, I don't necessarily think relying on the sequence generator is recommendable in your case, especially since you effectively seem to want two separate / distinct sequences (one for the trained, another for the untrained part) with different parameters. I don't see a straightforward way to extend the generator to create such a thing in one go.

I've coded up a stand-alone version the sequence generator that displays the generated sequence and its various parameters on-screen as it occurs in real time. It will alert to you resets as well as successful sequence generation and display the results on the monitor for review. This should make it easier to understand its mechanics, toy around with different settings and modifications and then examine their effects on sequence generation.

Dave,
Thank you so very much for all of this help!! Since you don't recommend the sequence generator for my particular experiment, please let me know if this is the way you would recommend I proceed. I could put the threat and neutral images into 2 categories, then change "values.targetformat = "l";" to generate whether its landscape or portrait, not using the sequence generator for this? I would need 50% to be landscape and 50% to be portrait however, and am not randomizing across participants but within the trial 50/50. So not sure how to modify that.

And since you said I should change the values, since my experiment is 6 repetitions and 480 trials overall, would "totaltrialcount" be 6 here, or 480? also not sure if I would change any of the other values. Thank you so much for your patience with me as I learn this!

My experiment is:
a. First half of assessment:
          1. 8 threat photos in landscape - 6 times. 48 photos.

2. 8 threat photos in portrait (same ones) - 6 times. 48 photos.

3. 8 Neutral photos in landscape  - 6 times. 48 photos.

4. 8 Neutral photos in portrait (same ones)  - 6 times. 48 photos.

5. There is break every 96 photos

b. Second half of assessment: 
          1. 12 threat photos in landscape - 6 times. 72 photos.

2. 12 threat photos in portrait (same ones) - 6 times. 72 photos.

3. 12 Neutral photos in landscape - 6 times. 72 photos.

4. 12 Neutral photos in portrait (same ones) - 6 times. 72 photos.

5. There is break every 96 photos.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

<values >
/ totaltrialcount = 0
/ nextstimulus = 0
/ selectstimulus = 0
/ targetcategory = 0
/ targetformat = ""
/ repeat = 0
/ selectpracticepicture = 0
/ starttime = 0
/ endtime = 0
/ expcondition = 0
/ format1 = 0
/ format2 = 0
/ startheight_A = 0
/ startheight_B = 0
/ Maxheight_px = display.canvasheight
/ joystick_y = 0
<trial AAT_1untrained>
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.selectstimulus = list.category1.nextvalue;
values.targetcategory = 1;
values.targetformat = "l";
picture.targetstimulus.height = values.startheight_A;
values.starttime = script.elapsedtime;
values.endtime = 0;
values.completeRT = 0;
values.changedirection = 0;
values.finalresponse="";
/ completeRT = 0
/ changedirection = 0
/ joystick_change = 0
/ trialcode = 0
/ RT = 0
/ correct = 0
/ stimulus = 0
/ initialresponse = ""
/ finalresponse = ""
/ completed = 0
</values>

If you don't use the sequence generator, you can ignore values.totaltrialcount. Otherwise it should be set to the value reflecting the length of the sequence you want to generate, i.e. the number of trials the sequence is supposed to encode.

You'll want to set up separate <trial> elements for your various conditions, i.e.
one <trial> for threat/landscape,
one <trial> for threat/portrait,
one <trial> for neutral/landscape,
one <trial> for neutral/portrait,

for the 1st half (a) of the assessment. Sample them in the desired proportion as needed via a <block>'s /trials.

Do the same for the 2nd half (b), run the blocks in the desired order via your <expt>.

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)
Thank you so much again for your help. I think this is going much better now that the sequence generator is not involved. My remaining issues are:

1) How to add repetitions to the trials so the participants see each photo in each format 6 times without the sequence generator

2) Adding breaks every 96 photos (trial: "instructions2") - would I do this by having something such as:
trials 1-96 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4), 97 = instructions2; 98-194 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4)

3) Is this something I delete from the block now that I don't have the sequence generator? "on blockbegin = [values.index = 0]"

Here's what I have so far:

<block practice_AAT>
/ trials = [1-2 = instructions; 3-12 = noreplace(practicetrial_A, practicetrial_B)]
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT>
/ onblockbegin = [values.index = 0]
/ trials = [1 = instructions; 2-33 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4)]
</block>

<block assessment2trained_AAT>
/ trials = [1 = instructions2; 2-33 = noreplace(AAT_5, AAT_6, AAT_7, AAT_8)]
</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
values.format1 = "PORTRAIT";
values.format2 = "LANDSCAPE";
values.startheight_A = parameters.Startheight_ratioA*values.Maxheight_px;
values.startheight_B = parameters.Startheight_ratioB* values.Maxheight_px;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
2 = assessment1untrained_AAT;
3 = assessment2trained_AAT;
]
/ postinstructions = (End)
/ onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
inquisituser22 - 7/10/2019
Thank you so much again for your help. I think this is going much better now that the sequence generator is not involved. My remaining issues are:

1) How to add repetitions to the trials so the participants see each photo in each format 6 times without the sequence generator

2) Adding breaks every 96 photos (trial: "instructions2") - would I do this by having something such as:
trials 1-96 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4), 97 = instructions2; 98-194 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4)

3) Is this something I delete from the block now that I don't have the sequence generator? "on blockbegin = [values.index = 0]"

<block practice_AAT>
/ trials = [1-2 = instructions; 3-12 = noreplace(practicetrial_A, practicetrial_B)]
</block>

</block>

</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

> 1) How to add repetitions to the trials so the participants see each photo in each format 6 times

That is no different than running the requisite amount of trials. Either increase the amount of trials in your existing blocks or run more blocks, each running X amount of trials.

> 2) Adding breaks every 96 photos (trial: "instructions2") - would I do this by having something such as:
> trials 1-96 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4), 97 = instructions2; 98-194 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4)

Yes, or -- if you want an overall noreplace() pool instead of separate ones, you can do

/ trials = [1-96, 98-194 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4); 97 = instructions2]

> 3) Is this something I delete from the block now that I don't have the sequence generator? "on blockbegin = [values.index = 0]"

You can leave that in, it does not make any difference.

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Dave - 7/10/2019

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

> 1) How to add repetitions to the trials so the participants see each photo in each format 6 times

That is no different than running the requisite amount of trials. Either increase the amount of trials in your existing blocks or run more blocks, each running X amount of trials.

> 2) Adding breaks every 96 photos (trial: "instructions2") - would I do this by having something such as:
> trials 1-96 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4), 97 = instructions2; 98-194 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4)

Yes, or -- if you want an overall noreplace() pool instead of separate ones, you can do

/ trials = [1-96, 98-194 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4); 97 = instructions2]

> 3) Is this something I delete from the block now that I don't have the sequence generator? "on blockbegin = [values.index = 0]"

Hi Dave,
Thank you again for your help. I deleted "values.index = 0 in the block" because the script wouldn't run with it and now it will run. To show each image 6 times, I made 6 identical blocks but now realize they will go in order of the blocks and not randomize across blocks. The photos from all categories below should all be shown 6 times but in random order. And also, not sure how to make sure the break is in there every 96 photos.

It feels like instead of what I have tried, I need to be making one large block with all 192 photos and somehow specifying to randomize but show all participants each photos 6 times - could you please let me know the command for this and if this makes sense to you? Then I will repeat the procedure for the second half of the assessment, which is identical but with different photos and 288 trials. Thank you again!

main category 1 (threat, untrained) landscape (trial is AAT_1): indices 1-8
main category 1 (threat, untrained) portrait (trial is AAT_2): indices 9-16
main category 2 (neutral, untrained) landscape (trial is AAT_3): indices 17-24
main category 2 (neutral, untrained) portrait (trial is AAT_4): indices 25-32

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT_1>
/ trials = [1 = 33 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4)]
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT_2>
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT_3>
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT_4>
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT_5>
</block>

<block assessment1untrained_AAT_6>
</block>

/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
2 = assessment1untrained_AAT_1;
  3 = assessment1untrained_AAT_2;
  4 = assessment1untrained_AAT_3;
  5 = assessment1untrained_AAT_4;
  6 = assessment1untrained_AAT_5;
  7 = assessment1untrained_AAT_6;

Dave
Dave
Dave - 7/10/2019

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

Hi Dave,
Thank you again for your help. I deleted "values.index = 0 in the block" because the script wouldn't run with it and now it will run. To show each image 6 times, I made 6 identical blocks but now realize they will go in order of the blocks and not randomize across blocks. The photos from all categories below should all be shown 6 times but in random order. And also, not sure how to make sure the break is in there every 96 photos.

It feels like instead of what I have tried, I need to be making one large block with all 192 photos and somehow specifying to randomize but show all participants each photos 6 times - could you please let me know the command for this and if this makes sense to you? Then I will repeat the procedure for the second half of the assessment, which is identical but with different photos and 288 trials. Thank you again!

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;

The way your images are sampled has nothing to do with the order of the blocks. The code you posted is not relevant to that. You'll want to sample your image items -- i.e. the various indices / item numbers you indicated -- without replacement. If <trial AAT_1> samples indices 1 to 8 from a <list> without replacement, and you run <trial AAT_1> a total of 48 times, then you have 6 repetitions of those 8 images. The same is true for the other categories / indices.

As for running all 192 trials in a single block with a break in-between, see my previous response to your question #2:

/ trials = [1-96, 98-193 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4); 97 = instructions2]

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Dave - 7/10/2019
Dave - 7/10/2019

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

Hi Dave,

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;

The way your images are sampled has nothing to do with the order of the blocks. The code you posted is not relevant to that. You'll want to sample your image items -- i.e. the various indices / item numbers you indicated -- without replacement. If <trial AAT_1> samples indices 1 to 8 from a <list> without replacement, and you run <trial AAT_1> a total of 48 times, then you have 6 repetitions of those 8 images. The same is true for the other categories / indices.

As for running all 192 trials in a single block with a break in-between, see my previous response to your question #2:

/ trials = [1-96, 98-193 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4); 97 = instructions2]

Thank you again! I have changed the code by making just two blocks, one for the first half of assessment which is 192 trials (4 groups of 8 images, each image shown 6 times), and one for second half which is 288 trials (4 groups of 12 images, each shown 6 times). My remaining question about this aspect of the experiment is how can I guarantee that each of the images is shown 6 times each within the randomization scheme? Or can I be assured of this based on the code I do have? Thanks!!

**************************************************************************************************************
**************************************************************************************************************
BLOCKS

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

/ trials = [1-96, 98-193 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4); 97, 194 = instructions2]
</block>

/ trials = [1-96, 98-193, 195-290 = noreplace(AAT_5, AAT_6, AAT_7, AAT_8); 97, 194 = instructions2]
</block>

EXPERIMENT
<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

Dave
Dave
inquisituser22 - 7/11/2019
Dave - 7/10/2019
Dave - 7/10/2019

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

Hi Dave,

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;

Thank you again! I have changed the code by making just two blocks, one for the first half of assessment which is 192 trials (4 groups of 8 images, each image shown 6 times), and one for second half which is 288 trials (4 groups of 12 images, each shown 6 times). My remaining question about this aspect of the experiment is how can I guarantee that each of the images is shown 6 times each within the randomization scheme? Or can I be assured of this based on the code I do have? Thanks!!

BLOCKS

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

/ trials = [1-96, 98-193 = noreplace(AAT_1, AAT_2, AAT_3, AAT_4); 97, 194 = instructions2]
</block>

/ trials = [1-96, 98-193, 195-290 = noreplace(AAT_5, AAT_6, AAT_7, AAT_8); 97, 194 = instructions2]
</block>

EXPERIMENT
<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

That code is not responsible for image selection. You need to look at the respective <list> elements (as mentioned in my previous response).

inquisituser22
inquisituser22
Dave - 7/11/2019
inquisituser22 - 7/11/2019
Dave - 7/10/2019
Dave - 7/10/2019

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

Hi Dave,

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

</block>

/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;

BLOCKS

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

EXPERIMENT
<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 1)
/ onexptbegin = [
values.expcondition = 1;
]
/ blocks = [
1 = practice_AAT;
]
</expt>

That code is not responsible for image selection. You need to look at the respective <list> elements (as mentioned in my previous response).

Hi Dave,
Thank you again for your invaluable help last month. We are currently double checking the output from our script to make sure it is running correctly and I noticed an error I am not sure how to solve. The photos shown in the Approach/Avoidance script are sometimes repeated 1 or 2 extra times, and I noticed in the output that when these photos are shown an extra time, they are running under the "trialcode" of "instructions2" rather than "InterTrialInterval" as the other photos are. I am thinking this is because of how I coded the breaks every 96 photos participants are shown - I am just not sure where I went wrong here. Thank you in advance for any help.

Here is how it is coded, please let me know if it would be helpful to attach the output as well.

Code for "instructions2" :
<text instructions2>
/ items = instructions2
/ select = sequence
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = black
/ resetinterval = 3
/ size = (80%, 80%)
</text>

<item instructions2>
/ 1 = "PLEASE TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO TAKE A BREAK DURING THE SESSION.
^^
Press press any key on the keyboard when you are ready to continue."
</item>

<trial instructions2>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = instructions2]
/ validresponse = ("anyresponse")
</trial>

Blocks:

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

Also if helpful the way the photos are categorized:

main category 1 (threat, untrained) landscape (1): indices 1-8
main category 1 (threat, untrained) portrait (2): indices 9-16
main category 2 (neutral, untrained) landscape (3): indices 17-24
main category 2 (neutral, untrained) portrait (4): indices 25-32

main category 3 (threat, trained) landscape (5): indices 33-44
main category 3 (threat, trained) portrait (6): indices 45-56
main category 4 (neutral, trained) landscape (7): indices 57-68
main category 4 (neutral, trained) portrait (8): indices 69-80

**8 threat Pictures, untrained, landscape**
<list category1>
/ items = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
/ replace = false
</list>

**8 threat Pictures, untrained, portrait**
<list category2>
/ items = (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,
9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,
9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
/ replace = false
</list>

**8 Neutral Pictures, untrained, landscape**
<list category3>
/ items = (17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,
17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,
17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
</list>

**8 Neutral Pictures, untrained, portrait**
<list category4>
/ items = (25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32,
25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32,
25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 threat Pictures, trained, landscape**
<list category5>
/ items = (33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44,
33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44,
33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 threat Pictures, trained, portrait**
<list category6>
/ items = (45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56,
45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56,
45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 Neutral Pictures, trained, landscape**
<list category7>
/ items = (57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68,
57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68,
57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 Neutral Pictures, trained, portrait**
<list category8>
/ items = (69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80,
69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80,
69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80)
/ replace = false
</list>

Dave
Dave
inquisituser22 - 8/5/2019

Hi Dave,
Thank you again for your invaluable help last month. We are currently double checking the output from our script to make sure it is running correctly and I noticed an error I am not sure how to solve. The photos shown in the Approach/Avoidance script are sometimes repeated 1 or 2 extra times, and I noticed in the output that when these photos are shown an extra time, they are running under the "trialcode" of "instructions2" rather than "InterTrialInterval" as the other photos are. I am thinking this is because of how I coded the breaks every 96 photos participants are shown - I am just not sure where I went wrong here. Thank you in advance for any help.

Here is how it is coded, please let me know if it would be helpful to attach the output as well.

Code for "instructions2" :
<text instructions2>
/ items = instructions2
/ select = sequence
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = black
/ resetinterval = 3
/ size = (80%, 80%)
</text>

<item instructions2>
/ 1 = "PLEASE TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO TAKE A BREAK DURING THE SESSION.
^^
Press press any key on the keyboard when you are ready to continue."
</item>

<trial instructions2>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = instructions2]
/ validresponse = ("anyresponse")
</trial>

Blocks:

<block practice_AAT>
</block>

</block>

</block>

Also if helpful the way the photos are categorized:

main category 1 (threat, untrained) landscape (1): indices 1-8
main category 1 (threat, untrained) portrait (2): indices 9-16
main category 2 (neutral, untrained) landscape (3): indices 17-24
main category 2 (neutral, untrained) portrait (4): indices 25-32

main category 3 (threat, trained) landscape (5): indices 33-44
main category 3 (threat, trained) portrait (6): indices 45-56
main category 4 (neutral, trained) landscape (7): indices 57-68
main category 4 (neutral, trained) portrait (8): indices 69-80

**8 threat Pictures, untrained, landscape**
<list category1>
/ items = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
/ replace = false
</list>

**8 threat Pictures, untrained, portrait**
<list category2>
/ items = (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16,
9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
/ replace = false
</list>

**8 Neutral Pictures, untrained, landscape**
<list category3>
/ items = (17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,
17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
</list>

**8 Neutral Pictures, untrained, portrait**
<list category4>
/ items = (25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32,
25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 threat Pictures, trained, landscape**
<list category5>
/ items = (33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44,
33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 threat Pictures, trained, portrait**
<list category6>
/ items = (45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56,
45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 Neutral Pictures, trained, landscape**
<list category7>
/ items = (57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68,
57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68)
/ replace = false
</list>

**12 Neutral Pictures, trained, portrait**
<list category8>
/ items = (69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80,
69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80)
/ replace = false
</list>

> The photos shown in the Approach/Avoidance script are sometimes repeated 1 or 2 extra times, and I noticed in the output that when these photos are shown an extra time, they are running under the "trialcode" of "instructions2" rather than "InterTrialInterval" as the other photos are

Why should this mean that the images are shown an extra time? It does not mean that. It simply means that the variable that reflects which image was shown during the previous AAT trial still reflects that during the instructions2 trial where nothing changes -- the instructions trial does not select any new image, nor should it. That's exactly how things are supposed to work.

Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search