Recording participants' answer

Author
JessicaEMFarias
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi guys!

I have designed an experiment in which participants have to indicate in which side of 20 squares there are more dots. Now I need to record the data about participants' choices as well as the responses to sociodemographic questions, and I have failed to do so. 

I have been using the element "data" and have set values.selecteditem (trying to record participants' choice of the side) and demographics (the name of the block I have used to insert sociodemographic questions) as columns. 

Can anyone tell me how I should have been doing it? 

I have attached the script below. 

Attachments
Script3.rar (282 views, 293.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
JessicaEMFarias - 8/19/2019
Hi guys!

I have designed an experiment in which participants have to indicate in which side of 20 squares there are more dots. Now I need to record the data about participants' choices as well as the responses to sociodemographic questions, and I have failed to do so. 

I have been using the element "data" and have set values.selecteditem (trying to record participants' choice of the side) and demographics (the name of the block I have used to insert sociodemographic questions) as columns. 

You've set your selection trial ("lado") up to not record any data.

<trial lado>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.runcount = values.runcount += 1;]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.runcount == 1) values.account_balance_temp = values.account_balance;]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.01;}]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.05;}]
/ ontrialend = [values.account_balance_temp = values.account_balance;]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "esquerdo") {shape.esquerdobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "esquerdo";} else {shape.esquerdobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "direito") {shape.direitobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "direito";} else {shape.direitobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance += 0.01;};]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance += 0.05;};]
/ stimulusframes = [1= estimate, esquerdobg, esquerdo, direitobg, direito, enviar, yourselection, balance_temp]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ validresponse = (esquerdo, direito, enviar)
/ isvalidresponse = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.runcount == 1) false else true ]
/ branch = [if (trial.lado.response != "enviar") trial.lado]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and your <data> element does not make any attempt to record values.selecteditem.

There are no sociodemographic questions in the script you attached.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 8/19/2019
Hi guys!

<trial lado>
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.runcount == 1) values.account_balance_temp = values.account_balance;]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.01;}]
/ ontrialbegin = [if (values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance_temp += 0.05;}]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "esquerdo") {shape.esquerdobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "esquerdo";} else {shape.esquerdobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "direito") {shape.direitobg.color = green; values.selecteditem = "direito";} else {shape.direitobg.color = black}; ]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "esquerdo") {values.account_balance += 0.01;};]
/ ontrialend = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.selecteditem == "direito") {values.account_balance += 0.05;};]
/ stimulusframes = [1= estimate, esquerdobg, esquerdo, direitobg, direito, enviar, yourselection, balance_temp]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ isvalidresponse = [if (trial.lado.response == "enviar" && values.runcount == 1) false else true ]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

and your <data> element does not make any attempt to record values.selecteditem.

If you just want to capture a single row reflecting the final selection, do

<trial lado>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ branch = [if (trial.lado.response != "enviar") trial.lado else trial.record_selection]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

//just adds a line of data to the data file reflecting the final selection ("esquerdo" or "direito")
<trial record_selection>
/ trialduration = 0
</trial>

with

<data>
/file = "Resultados.iqdat"
/separatefiles = true
/columns = [date, time, group, subject, trialnum, trialcode, response, correct, latency,
values.selecteditem, values.account_balance]
</data>

Dave
Dave
Dave - 8/19/2019
Dave - 8/19/2019
Hi guys!

<trial lado>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

If you just want to capture a single row reflecting the final selection, do

<trial lado>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ branch = [if (trial.lado.response != "enviar") trial.lado else trial.record_selection]
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

//just adds a line of data to the data file reflecting the final selection ("esquerdo" or "direito")
<trial record_selection>
/ trialduration = 0
</trial>

with

<data>
/file = "Resultados.iqdat"
/separatefiles = true
/columns = [date, time, group, subject, trialnum, trialcode, response, correct, latency,
values.selecteditem, values.account_balance]
</data>

I can't say anything about sociodemographics because -- as I said -- the script you attached does not contain any. If you run your <surveypage>(s) via a <block>, the responses to the various questions will be automatically captured in the data file's response column, with the trialcode column reflecting the respective question name.

If you use a <survey> element instead of a <block>, you'll get a separate, differently formatted data file for the survey questions.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search