Defining a password to start

Author
JessicaEMFarias
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

I would like to set up a password that participants will have to type for o be able to start an experiment. I tried to do that by setting a trial linked to a text element. I tried to define that the only answer that could be accepted would be "jogodospontos" by using / validresponse= ("jogodospontos"), but it does not seem to work. Can you help me with that?

Attachments
Script 8.rar (291 views, 223.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
JessicaEMFarias - 9/15/2019
Hi!

I would like to set up a password that participants will have to type for o be able to start an experiment. I tried to do that by setting a trial linked to a text element. I tried to define that the only answer that could be accepted would be "jogodospontos" by using / validresponse= ("jogodospontos"), but it does not seem to work. Can you help me with that?

There is no script in your attachment. Either way, you need to set up an <openended> element.

JessicaEMFarias
JessicaEMFarias
Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)Expert (1.1K reputation)
Dave - 9/16/2019
Hi!

There is no script in your attachment. Either way, you need to set up an <openended> element.
I have changed it to an openended question, but it still does not work. Please chek my script below. 

Attachments
Script 8.rar (328 views, 230.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
JessicaEMFarias - 9/16/2019
Dave - 9/16/2019
Hi!

I have changed it to an openended question, but it still does not work. Please chek my script below. 

This is not how things work.

<Trial senha>
/stimulusframes=[1=senha]
/ inputdevice=keyboard
/ validresponse= ("jogodospontos")
</trial>

<openended senha>
/ caption="Digite a senha fornecida pelo(a) pesquisador(a) para iniciar a pesquisa"
/ mask=alphabetic
/ range = (18, 120)
/ required = true
</openended>

An <openended> element is a special kind of <trial> element, not some stimulus you present in a <trial> element. You can't have a <trial> and <openended> element with the same name. Also, an <openended> element does not have a /caption attribute. It has /stimulustimes and -frames, just like a regular <trial> element.

What you need is a properly configured <openended> element, no <trial>.

<openended senha>
/ stimulusframes = [1=prompt]
/ validresponse = ("jogodospontos")
</openended>

<text prompt>
/ items = ("Digite a senha fornecida pelo(a) pesquisador(a) para iniciar a pesquisa")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

Attachments
JessicaEMFarias
JessicaEMFarias
Dave - 9/16/2019
Dave - 9/16/2019
Hi!

This is not how things work.

<Trial senha>
/stimulusframes=[1=senha]
/ inputdevice=keyboard
/ validresponse= ("jogodospontos")
</trial>

<openended senha>
/ caption="Digite a senha fornecida pelo(a) pesquisador(a) para iniciar a pesquisa"
/ mask=alphabetic
/ range = (18, 120)
/ required = true
</openended>

An <openended> element is a special kind of <trial> element, not some stimulus you present in a <trial> element. You can't have a <trial> and <openended> element with the same name. Also, an <openended> element does not have a /caption attribute. It has /stimulustimes and -frames, just like a regular <trial> element.

What you need is a properly configured <openended> element, no <trial>.

<openended senha>
/ stimulusframes = [1=prompt]
/ validresponse = ("jogodospontos")
</openended>

<text prompt>
/ items = ("Digite a senha fornecida pelo(a) pesquisador(a) para iniciar a pesquisa")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

Thanks!

I have also tried to set up a pretest so that participants understand the task better before starting for real. The task itself involves indicating in which side of a square there are more dots. On each trial, participants see an image and two buttons below them in which the words right side (lado direito) and left side (lado esquerdo) are written along with the amount of money they will receive after making each choice (either 10 cents or zero, respectively). Also, after making each choice, the current balance (saldo) is shown.

I tried to set up a pretest with 3 images so that people could practice before starting for real. However, despite the fact I based my work on the script that was already written and worked, only the images are being showed, that is, the buttons and other text elements are not. Also the balance is not being shown after each choice. 

Can you tell me what is wrong with this script?

Attachments
Script 9.rar (323 views, 230.00 KB)
Dave
Dave

Thanks!

I have also tried to set up a pretest so that participants understand the task better before starting for real. The task itself involves indicating in which side of a square there are more dots. On each trial, participants see an image and two buttons below them in which the words right side (lado direito) and left side (lado esquerdo) are written along with the amount of money they will receive after making each choice (either 10 cents or zero, respectively). Also, after making each choice, the current balance (saldo) is shown.

I tried to set up a pretest with 3 images so that people could practice before starting for real. However, despite the fact I based my work on the script that was already written and worked, only the images are being showed, that is, the buttons and other text elements are not. Also the balance is not being shown after each choice. 

You have added a <block teste>

<block teste>
/ trials = [1-3 = noreplace(teste)]
</block>

that runs three instances of <trial teste>

<trial teste>
/ stimulusframes = [1=teste]
/ validresponse = (28)
</trial>

That trial does nothing except displaying a single image on-screen and accepting a press of the ENTER key. It does not display any other stimuli such as the buttons or other text elements.

How is this modeled on the other parts of the script? It bears no similarity to it. Please go back and re-review the actual test trials and how they work. Then implement your practice part properly based on that.

It seems to me you're not even running the actual practice trials you've added and it's unclear to me what <trial teste> above is for / supposed to achieve. If you want to execute those practice trials analogous to the test portion of the script, you ought to make your block run them

<block teste>
/ trials = [1-3 = noreplace(testedireito, testeesquerdo)]
</block>

Moreover, the testedireito and testeesquerdo trials are full of mistakes. You need to replace any references to trial.direito and trial.esquerdo with the proper references to trial.testedireito and trial.testeesquerdo in those <trial> elements.

Attachments
Edited 5 Years Ago by Dave
JessicaEMFarias
JessicaEMFarias
Dave - 9/16/2019

Thanks!

<block teste>
</block>

<trial teste>
/ validresponse = (28)
</trial>

That trial does nothing except displaying a single image on-screen and accepting a press of the ENTER key. It does not display any other stimuli such as the buttons or other text elements.

How is this modeled on the other parts of the script? It bears no similarity to it. Please go back and re-review the actual test trials and how they work. Then implement your practice part properly based on that.

It seems to me you're not even running the actual practice trials you've added and it's unclear to me what <trial teste> above is for / supposed to achieve. If you want to execute those practice trials analogous to the test portion of the script, you ought to make your block run them

<block teste>
</block>

Moreover, the testedireito and testeesquerdo trials are full of mistakes. You need to replace any references to trial.direito and trial.esquerdo with the proper references to trial.testedireito and trial.testeesquerdo in those <trial> elements.

I have implemented all the changes you suggested but now it is freezing everytime I try to run it. Please check and let me know what the problem is.
Attachments
Script 10.rar (308 views, 230.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Dave - 9/16/2019

Thanks!

<block teste>
</block>

<trial teste>
/ validresponse = (28)
</trial>

<block teste>
</block>

I have implemented all the changes you suggested but now it is freezing everytime I try to run it. Please check and let me know what the problem is.

It's not freezing for me and a fixed script was already attached to my previous reply. In general, be more specific please. If you say something is freezing, explain precisely *where* it is freezing. Thanks.

JessicaEMFarias
JessicaEMFarias
Dave - 9/17/2019
Dave - 9/16/2019

Thanks!

<block teste>
</block>

<trial teste>
/ validresponse = (28)
</trial>

<block teste>
</block>

It's not freezing for me and a fixed script was already attached to my previous reply. In general, be more specific please. If you say something is freezing, explain precisely *where* it is freezing. Thanks.

It is freezing at the pretest part, after typing the password, which is, by the way "jogodospontos". I set up the script to present three images as a pretest.

Just after showing the first image and making the choice of which side there are more dots, it freezes right when the balance is shown. 

I've tried to run it like five times and it always freezes there.
JessicaEMFarias
JessicaEMFarias
JessicaEMFarias - 9/17/2019
Dave - 9/17/2019
Dave - 9/16/2019

Thanks!

<block teste>
</block>

<trial teste>
/ validresponse = (28)
</trial>

<block teste>
</block>

It is freezing at the pretest part, after typing the password, which is, by the way "jogodospontos". I set up the script to present three images as a pretest.

Just after showing the first image and making the choice of which side there are more dots, it freezes right when the balance is shown. 

I've tried to run it like five times and it always freezes there.

To be even more precise, it freezes on the sixth screen.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search