Data of several surveys in one outcome file?

Author
mongrel
Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave and everybody else,

I encounter a problem every time, I do an experiment using Inquisit, and I hope, somebody can help me.
I have several questionnaires in survey form in one batch, and I would like to save them in one output file. All variables have unique names. My problem is as follows: If I name all surveys the same, Inquisit puts the data in one file which is what I want. However, it does use variable names of one file and writes the data of variables from other surveys underneath. So an output would look like this:

name of v 1 in survey 1    name of v 2 in survey 1   name of v 3 in survey 1   name of v 4 in survey 1
subject 1          data of v 1 in survey 1    data of v 2 in survey 1   data of v 3 in survey 1   data of v 4 in survey 1
subject 1          data of v 1 in survey 2    data of v 2 in survey 2  data of v 3 in survey 2   data of v 4 in survey 2
subject 1          data of v 1 in survey 3    data of  v 2 in survey 3   data of v 3 in survey 3   data of v 4 in survey 3
subject 2          data of v 1 in survey 1    data of v 2 in survey 1   data of v 3 in survey 1   data of v 4 in survey 1
subject 2          data of v 1 in survey 2    data of v 2 in survey 2  data of v 3 in survey 2   data of v 4 in survey 2
subject 2          data of v 1 in survey 3    data of  v 2 in survey 3   data of v 3 in survey 3   data of v 4 in survey 3

How can I properly save several survey outcomes in one file?
Thank you very much in advance! Best,
M

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
mongrel - 9/19/2019

I encounter a problem every time, I do an experiment using Inquisit, and I hope, somebody can help me.
I have several questionnaires in survey form in one batch, and I would like to save them in one output file. All variables have unique names. My problem is as follows: If I name all surveys the same, Inquisit puts the data in one file which is what I want. However, it does use variable names of one file and writes the data of variables from other surveys underneath. So an output would look like this:

name of v 1 in survey 1    name of v 2 in survey 1   name of v 3 in survey 1   name of v 4 in survey 1
subject 1          data of v 1 in survey 1    data of v 2 in survey 1   data of v 3 in survey 1   data of v 4 in survey 1
subject 1          data of v 1 in survey 2    data of v 2 in survey 2  data of v 3 in survey 2   data of v 4 in survey 2
subject 1          data of v 1 in survey 3    data of  v 2 in survey 3   data of v 3 in survey 3   data of v 4 in survey 3
subject 2          data of v 1 in survey 1    data of v 2 in survey 1   data of v 3 in survey 1   data of v 4 in survey 1
subject 2          data of v 1 in survey 2    data of v 2 in survey 2  data of v 3 in survey 2   data of v 4 in survey 2
subject 2          data of v 1 in survey 3    data of  v 2 in survey 3   data of v 3 in survey 3   data of v 4 in survey 3

M

It's not possible.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 9/19/2019
mongrel - 9/19/2019

M

It's not possible.

Here's why: The principal problem is that survey 1 doesn't know about the variables in any of the other surveys and vice versa. So whatever survey runs can't place placeholders or anything like that in the data file for variables it doesn't know about. You would have to make sure that all surveys are effectively identical -- i.e. have all the same variables that end up being needed by all the surveys in them. You could then simply /skip the parts in a given survey that are covered by a later survey. Example: Suppose you have two surveys A and B, both called "mysurvey":

A.iqx:
<survey mysurvey>
/ pages = [1=a; 2=b]
</survey>

// runs only surveypage A, page B is skipped
<surveypage a>
/ skip = [
false;
]
/ questions = [1=q1a; 2=q2a]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q1a>
/ options = ("a", "b", "c")
</radiobuttons>
<radiobuttons q2a>
/ options = ("d", "e", "f")
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage b>
/ skip = [
true;
]
/ questions = [1=q1b; 2=q2b]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q1b>
/ options = ("g", "h", "i")
</radiobuttons>
<radiobuttons q2b>
/ options = ("j", "k", "l")
</radiobuttons>

B.iqx
<survey mysurvey>
/ pages = [1=a; 2=b]
</survey>

// page A is skipped, surveypage B is run
<surveypage a>
/ skip = [
true;
]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q1a>
/ options = ("a", "b", "c")
</radiobuttons>
<radiobuttons q2a>
/ options = ("d", "e", "f")
</radiobuttons>

<surveypage b>
/ skip = [
false;
]
/ questions = [1=q1b; 2=q2b]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q1b>
/ options = ("g", "h", "i")
</radiobuttons>
<radiobuttons q2b>
/ options = ("j", "k", "l")
</radiobuttons>

with

<batch>
/ file = "a.iqx"
/ file = "b.iqx"
</batch>

That then would give you output like this:

mongrel
mongrel
Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)Guru (5.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 9/19/2019
Dave - 9/19/2019
mongrel - 9/19/2019

M

It's not possible.

Here's why: The principal problem is that survey 1 doesn't know about the variables in any of the other surveys and vice versa. So whatever survey runs can't place placeholders or anything like that in the data file for variables it doesn't know about. You would have to make sure that all surveys are effectively identical -- i.e. have all the same variables that end up being needed by all the surveys in them. You could then simply /skip the parts in a given survey that are covered by a later survey. Example: Suppose you have two surveys A and B, both called "mysurvey":

A.iqx:
<survey mysurvey>
/ pages = [1=a; 2=b]
</survey>

// runs only surveypage A, page B is skipped
<surveypage a>
/ skip = [
false;
]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q1a>