Using a Reaction Time Task on Tablets (Inquisit Web)

Author
Srichman
Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!
I am about to run a study using a reaction time task. We need to bring the study to people out in the world, so I thought I would get a couple of tablets in order to do this. Is there any information on what type of tablets Inquisit Web can run on if any? Additionally, how well do reaction time tasks work on Inquisit web, specifically on tablets if anyone has any information about this.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Srichman - 10/9/2019
Hello!
I am about to run a study using a reaction time task. We need to bring the study to people out in the world, so I thought I would get a couple of tablets in order to do this. Is there any information on what type of tablets Inquisit Web can run on if any? Additionally, how well do reaction time tasks work on Inquisit web, specifically on tablets if anyone has any information about this.

Thanks!

Inquisit Web will run on Windows-based tablets (e.g. Surface Pro) or on iPads. With iPads, you'd have the additional benefit of offline data collection for field research: https://www.millisecond.com/products/inquisit5/inquisitios.aspx

Inquisit Web works exactly like Inquisit Lab , i.e. all reaction measures are performed locally on the client system by the Inquisit Web app. Once data collection is complete, the data is transferred to the server (or, in the case of offline mode, stored locally on the device until the device regains internet connectivity).

Srichman
Srichman
Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)Respected Member (353 reputation)
Dave - 10/9/2019
Srichman - 10/9/2019
Hello!

Thanks!

Inquisit Web will run on Windows-based tablets (e.g. Surface Pro) or on iPads. With iPads, you'd have the additional benefit of offline data collection for field research: https://www.millisecond.com/products/inquisit5/inquisitios.aspx

Inquisit Web works exactly like Inquisit Lab , i.e. all reaction measures are performed locally on the client system by the Inquisit Web app. Once data collection is complete, the data is transferred to the server (or, in the case of offline mode, stored locally on the device until the device regains internet connectivity).

Oh wow, that's great! Thank you! There aren't any issues with older versions of iPads are there? I don't think we have the budget for brand new ones, but would love to have the offline data collection feature.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Srichman - 10/9/2019
Dave - 10/9/2019
Srichman - 10/9/2019
Hello!

Thanks!

Oh wow, that's great! Thank you! There aren't any issues with older versions of iPads are there? I don't think we have the budget for brand new ones, but would love to have the offline data collection feature.

Older iPads should work fine in general -- I would recommend trying out the tasks you're planning to run on them beforehand, however. If you're planning to use library tasks, you can simply peruse the web demos linked in the library on them. I have seen a (very) few cases where especially resource-intensive tasks (e.g. ones employing thousands of images or many large videos) were too much to handle for some older/weaker iPad models (e.g. first generation iPad Mini). For the vast majority of scripts/tasks, however, there should be no problem.

Srichman
Srichman
Dave - 10/9/2019
Srichman - 10/9/2019
Dave - 10/9/2019
Srichman - 10/9/2019
Hello!

Thanks!

Older iPads should work fine in general -- I would recommend trying out the tasks you're planning to run on them beforehand, however. If you're planning to use library tasks, you can simply peruse the web demos linked in the library on them. I have seen a (very) few cases where especially resource-intensive tasks (e.g. ones employing thousands of images or many large videos) were too much to handle for some older/weaker iPad models (e.g. first generation iPad Mini). For the vast majority of scripts/tasks, however, there should be no problem.

Wonderful! Thank you again for the clarification. I really appreciate your help!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search