How to add an interactive animation?

Author
Amarins
Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

For a simple choice task, I want to add an animation of an iceberg that changes (either grows or melts) when a participant chooses one of two options. The animation attribute doesn't seem suitable, because it only changes the position of a stimulus and I want the animation itself to change as a reaction to the choices of participants. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Amarins - 10/16/2019
Hi all,

For a simple choice task, I want to add an animation of an iceberg that changes (either grows or melts) when a participant chooses one of two options. The animation attribute doesn't seem suitable, because it only changes the position of a stimulus and I want the animation itself to change as a reaction to the choices of participants. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

You could use a picture element and change its size depending on the response, essentially like the BART does https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/bart/ or select still images of the iceberg in varying stages of growth or melting and circle through those.

Amarins
Amarins
Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)Respected Member (399 reputation)
Dave - 10/16/2019
Amarins - 10/16/2019
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

You could use a picture element and change its size depending on the response, essentially like the BART does https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/bart/ or select still images of the iceberg in varying stages of growth or melting and circle through those.

Thanks a lot! I will try to select images of the iceberg in varying stages first!
Amarins
Amarins
Hi all,

I have tried to select different images of an iceberg using the ontrialend-option. 
However, it seems like something's going wrong with linking the images: they don't change according to the choices.

Can anyone find the problem in my code?
Participants start trial the first trial with a medium-sized iceberg (picture ib.5/ item 6).

<block B1_products_fb1>
/ trials = [1-5 = noreplace(sus_left_fb1, sus_right_fb1)]
</block>

<trial sus_left_fb1>
/ stimulustimes = [1 = iceberg_animation]
/ correctresponse = ("a")
/ validresponse = ("a", "l")
/ ontrialend = [
IF (trial.sus_left_fb1 == "a") values.iceberg +1;
IF (trial.sus_left_fb1 == "l") values.iceberg -1
]
</trial>

<trial sus_right_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [
IF (trial.sus_right_fb1 == "l") values.iceberg +1;
IF (trial.sus_right_fb1 == "a") values.iceberg -1
]
</trial>

<values>
/ iceberg = 6
</values>

<picture iceberg_animation>
/ items = iceberg_picture
/ position = (50, 50)
/ size = (25%, 25%)
/ select = values.iceberg
</picture>

<list iceberg>
/ items = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
/ replace = false
</list>

<item iceberg_picture>
/1 = "ib0.png"
/2 = "ib1.png"
/3 = "ib2.png"
/4 = "ib3.png"
/5 = "ib4.png"
/6 = "ib5.png"
/7 = "ib6.png"
/8 = "ib7.png"
/9 = "ib8.png"
/10 = "ib9.png"
/11 = "ib10.png"
</item>

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Amarins - 10/29/2019
Hi all,

I have tried to select different images of an iceberg using the ontrialend-option. 
However, it seems like something's going wrong with linking the images: they don't change according to the choices.

Can anyone find the problem in my code?
Participants start trial the first trial with a medium-sized iceberg (picture ib.5/ item 6).

<block B1_products_fb1>
/ trials = [1-5 = noreplace(sus_left_fb1, sus_right_fb1)]
</block>

<trial sus_left_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [
]
</trial>

<trial sus_right_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [
]
</trial>

<values>
/ iceberg = 6
</values>

<picture iceberg_animation>
/ items = iceberg_picture
/ position = (50, 50)
/ size = (25%, 25%)
/ select = values.iceberg
</picture>

<list iceberg>
/ items = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
/ replace = false
</list>

<item iceberg_picture>
/1 = "ib0.png"
/2 = "ib1.png"
/3 = "ib2.png"
/4 = "ib3.png"
/5 = "ib4.png"
/6 = "ib5.png"
/7 = "ib6.png"
/8 = "ib7.png"
/9 = "ib8.png"
/10 = "ib9.png"
/11 = "ib10.png"
</item>

Thanks in advance!

<trial sus_left_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [

]
</trial>

<trial sus_right_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [

]
</trial>

The syntax bolded above is wrong on several counts and will not change the value of values.iceberg. It ought to read

<trial sus_left_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [
if (trial.sus_left_fb1.response == 30) values.iceberg += 1;
if (trial.sus_left_fb1.response == 38) values.iceberg -= 1;

]
</trial>

<trial sus_right_fb1>
/ ontrialend = [
if (trial.sus_right_fb1.response == 38) values.iceberg += 1;
if (trial.sus_right_fb1.response == 30) values.iceberg -= 1;

]
</trial>

i.e. (1) you ought to query the respective trial's response property, (2) you ought to work with keyboard scan codes, because that's what the response property returns (see Tools -> Keyboard Scancodes...), and (3) you ought to make use of the proper operators, here increment (+=) and decrement (-=).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search