control max trial type in a row

Author
lir1995
Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)Partner Member (697 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave, 

Is there a way in Inquisit to control for the number of the same type of trial that occurs in a row (either by trial type or the type of response made). For example, if my experiment switches between correct and incorrect trials, I do not want more than 4 correct trials in a row to limit participants from pressing yes so many times in a row. Ideally, this would be based on the trial type itself, regardless of how the participant actually responds. Is there a way to do this? 

I had tried doing this using the branching attribute, but was unsuccessful. 

Thanks!!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
lir1995 - 12/2/2019
Hi Dave, 

Is there a way in Inquisit to control for the number of the same type of trial that occurs in a row (either by trial type or the type of response made). For example, if my experiment switches between correct and incorrect trials, I do not want more than 4 correct trials in a row to limit participants from pressing yes so many times in a row. Ideally, this would be based on the trial type itself, regardless of how the participant actually responds. Is there a way to do this? 

I had tried doing this using the branching attribute, but was unsuccessful. 

Thanks!!

Yes, you can do so by sampling trials from a <list> and setting the list's /maxrunsize according to your needs. Suppose you have two <trial> elements A and B, 20 trials total (10 x A, 10 x  B), and want to allow a maximum of 3 trials of the same type in a row. Then you do:

<trial a>
</trial>

<trial b>
</trial>

<list triallist>
/ items = (trial.a, trial.b)
/ poolsize = 20
/ maxrunsize = 3
</list>

with

<block example>
/ trials = [1-20 = list.triallist]