Missing data files

Author
saudrain
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there, 

I have been testing a participant with Inquisit over time using multiple tests and sessions. I am having an issue where some of the time, the data files do not get saved/uploaded. I am continuing to work with this individual (who is of a rare patient population), and I would like to know what the possible causes of this are before I continue with them. 

When I look at my web logs, it doesn't look like the test was ever taken by the participant. The issue does not seem to be with the script itself, as when I run it, the data is uploaded like it should be. The fact that the data is sometimes uploaded from the participant leads me to believe that it is not a firewall or some sort of security issue with their machine. Short of the internet cutting out at the time of upload (which seems unlikely according to the participant), is there anything else that could be causing this, or that I can rule out?

Thank you,

Sam 

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
saudrain - 1/2/2020
Hi there, 

I have been testing a participant with Inquisit over time using multiple tests and sessions. I am having an issue where some of the time, the data files do not get saved/uploaded. I am continuing to work with this individual (who is of a rare patient population), and I would like to know what the possible causes of this are before I continue with them. 

When I look at my web logs, it doesn't look like the test was ever taken by the participant. The issue does not seem to be with the script itself, as when I run it, the data is uploaded like it should be. The fact that the data is sometimes uploaded from the participant leads me to believe that it is not a firewall or some sort of security issue with their machine. Short of the internet cutting out at the time of upload (which seems unlikely according to the participant), is there anything else that could be causing this, or that I can rule out?

Thank you,

Sam 

There's nothing I can think of other than an issue with the participant's machine (firewall blocking traffic) or internet connection, but you say that seems unlikely. However, this seems strange:

"When I look at my web logs, it doesn't look like the test was ever taken by the participant."

Could you please explain what exactly that means and direct me to the respective web logs? I.e. is there no record at all of the participant in the logs? Or are there records, but they don't show data file uploads? Since the logs track more than just data file uploads, there should be some kind of record if the participant did indeed attempt to launch your experiment.

saudrain
saudrain
Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)Expert (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 1/2/2020
saudrain - 1/2/2020
Hi there, 

Thank you,

Sam 

There's nothing I can think of other than an issue with the participant's machine (firewall blocking traffic) or internet connection, but you say that seems unlikely. However, this seems strange:

"When I look at my web logs, it doesn't look like the test was ever taken by the participant."

Could you please explain what exactly that means and direct me to the respective web logs? I.e. is there no record at all of the participant in the logs? Or are there records, but they don't show data file uploads? Since the logs track more than just data file uploads, there should be some kind of record if the participant did indeed attempt to launch your experiment.

I mean that when I click on the tab called "web logs" and click on the log for the test in question I don't see my participant's ID/a file for them. To clarify, what you're saying is that it's impossible to run the experiment (via sending someone a URL) without the data being logged as launched- correct?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
saudrain - 1/3/2020
Dave - 1/2/2020
saudrain - 1/2/2020
Hi there, 

Thank you,

Sam 

I mean that when I click on the tab called "web logs" and click on the log for the test in question I don't see my participant's ID/a file for them. To clarify, what you're saying is that it's impossible to run the experiment (via sending someone a URL) without the data being logged as launched- correct?

If someone actually visits your experiment's launch page, installs the web player and attempts to start the experiment, there should be a record of that in the logs -- regardless of whether the experiment then launched successfully, or whether the participant terminated the experiment early, or whether something went wrong with any eventual data file upload. Some record of the participant should be present in the logs. To be clear, it is possible to generally disable logging for a given web experiment via that web experiment's settings. Then, however, there would be no logs for any participants at all from the point in time logging was disabled, there is no way to accidentally disable logging for a specific participant only.

If you would like to message me the URL for your experiment, the ID of the participant at issue, and some date or dates on which the participant supposedly completed the experiment, I'd be happy to scour the logs for any indication of that participant's presence and whether they tell me something about what might have happend.

Edited 4 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search