Making Instructions

Author
uni-student92084
Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey guys,
I'm making instructions and I was wondering whether it's better to write them as a  "page" or  as an "item"?

An IAT script that I am referencing is putting the instructions under an /item but the "Inqusit help" function says the text for instructions  should be in "page".

I'm leaning towards using an item because it looked like I couldn't implement the page attribute into a text attribute. 

What I mean by page:
<page FirstInstrucr>
^^ Instruction 
^^ Instruction
^^ Instruction
</page>

Item:
<item instructions>
/ 1 = "Put your left finger on the 'E' response key for items that belong to the category '<%expressions.leftTarget%>'.
Put your right finger on the 'I' response key for items that belong to the category '<%expressions.rightTarget%>'.
~nItems will appear one-by-one in the middle of the screen.
~nIf you make an error, a red X will appear - to continue, press the other response key.
~nGo as fast as you can while making as few errors as possible."

/ 2 = "Put your left finger on the 'E' response key for items that belong to the category '<%item.attributeAlabel.item(1)%>'.
Put your right finger on the 'I' response key for items that belong to the category '<%item.attributeBlabel.item(1)%>'.
~nIf you make an error, a red X will appear - to continue, press the other response key.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Kksham052 - 1/13/2020
Hey guys,
I'm making instructions and I was wondering whether it's better to write them as a  "page" or  as an "item"?

An IAT script that I am referencing is putting the instructions under an /item but the "Inqusit help" function says the text for instructions  should be in "page".

I'm leaning towards using an item because it looked like I couldn't implement the page attribute into a text attribute. 

What I mean by page:
<page FirstInstrucr>
^^ Instruction 
^^ Instruction
^^ Instruction
</page>

Item:
<item instructions>
/ 1 = "Put your left finger on the 'E' response key for items that belong to the category '<%expressions.leftTarget%>'.
Put your right finger on the 'I' response key for items that belong to the category '<%expressions.rightTarget%>'.

/ 2 = "Put your left finger on the 'E' response key for items that belong to the category '<%item.attributeAlabel.item(1)%>'.
Put your right finger on the 'I' response key for items that belong to the category '<%item.attributeBlabel.item(1)%>'.

Neither is better per se, it depends on what you want to do. Use <item> along with <text> elements if you want your instructions displayed by standard <trial> elements run by the <block>(s). When using <page> elements, display them via the <block>s' and/or <expt>s' /pre- and /postinstructions attributes.

Edited 4 Years Ago by Dave
uni-student92084
uni-student92084
Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)
Dave - 1/14/2020
Kksham052 - 1/13/2020
Hey guys,

What I mean by page:
<page FirstInstrucr>
^^ Instruction 
^^ Instruction
^^ Instruction
</page>

Item:
<item instructions>

Neither is better per se, it depends on what you want to do. Use <item> along with <text> elements if you want your instructions displayed by standard <trial> elements run by the <block>(s). When using <page> elements, display them via the <block>s' and/or <expt>s' /pre- and /postinstructions attributes.

If I wanted to have instructions after each trial, would it be wise to use <item>?
For example, there will be a set of instructions, then once the participant has clicked I or E, there will be a page telling them if they are wrong or right. Then after this page, there will be another set of instructions. I'm guessing  I should use <item> as I am going with the trials. 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Kksham052 - 1/14/2020
Dave - 1/14/2020
Kksham052 - 1/13/2020
Hey guys,

What I mean by page:
<page FirstInstrucr>
^^ Instruction 
^^ Instruction
^^ Instruction
</page>

Item:
<item instructions>

If I wanted to have instructions after each trial, would it be wise to use <item>?
For example, there will be a set of instructions, then once the participant has clicked I or E, there will be a page telling them if they are wrong or right. Then after this page, there will be another set of instructions. I'm guessing  I should use <item> as I am going with the trials. 

Yes, in the scenario you outlined -- feedback & additional instructions after each trial -- you should go with <text>/<item> elements, displayed by one or several dedicated feedback <trial> elements. <page> elements are not suitable in this situation, they're confined to being used either before (/preinstructions) or after (/postinstructions) all the trials in a <block>.

uni-student92084
uni-student92084
Dave - 1/14/2020
Kksham052 - 1/14/2020
Dave - 1/14/2020
Kksham052 - 1/13/2020
Hey guys,

What I mean by page:
<page FirstInstrucr>
^^ Instruction 
^^ Instruction
^^ Instruction
</page>

Item:
<item instructions>

Yes, in the scenario you outlined -- feedback & additional instructions after each trial -- you should go with <text>/<item> elements, displayed by one or several dedicated feedback <trial> elements. <page> elements are not suitable in this situation, they're confined to being used either before (/preinstructions) or after (/postinstructions) all the trials in a <block>.

Thank you Dave!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search