Participants recieving errors: "Unable to open file..." "Could not locate item..."

Author
michaelwaltrip
Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I have two web scripts. Participants are recruited via Sonasystems (my institutions recruitment pool) and then piped to Inquisit where they take the experiment. I tested my experiment on Mac (macOS Catalina v 10.15) and Windows (Windows 10 Pro v 1803) and it runs successfully. From what I can tell majority of participants who sign up for up the experiment also can go through without error (though a lot drop off as it is long).

The problem - a few participants email me saying that the experiment crashed for them or caused some other problems. I also see error messages on the millisecond website. The errors messages, though, don't make sense relative to the scripts I've uploaded (see screenshot attached). For example, one error says it's with "batchscript.iqx". I do not have a "batchscript.iqx" but instead have something called "batchscript4.iqx". Nowhere in any of the other files do I reference "batchscript.iqx". I USED to have a file called that, but I needed to make changes, so I changed the file name and all the pointers elsewhere in the scripts, deleted the old script and uploaded the new one (Incidentally, there was a bug in this process as well. I would change the contents of a file and the file name on my machine. Then on millisecond, I'd delete the old script and replace it with the overwritten file. However, when previewing the new script by clicking on it, the contents would be the same as the old script. To fix this, I had to create a new script by copying the contents from the old one, changing the information there, and then saving it as a new file all together. That took me many hours to figure out. I'd be happy to answer questions about this bug, but since I found a workaround, let's focus on the current issue and then move to this issue).

Do I need to clear the cache or something, or create a new experiment if legacy files exist in some hidden place like in the bug I just described? Additionally, down below, you'll see an error saying  'can not locate "myvideoitems". However, per your instruction on another thread I created conditions that maps to Mac or windows platforms using (block -> trial -> video -> include -> item). And again, this works for me every time I test it, and for many other participants.  Another error, in isolation, was that a participant could not load an image. Nobody else had this problem so I have no clue what caused it. 

I referenced other help files from people with similar issues, but the solutions do not apply here. In one, a person had a file mislabelled and forgot to include and underscore in the file name instead of a space. In another, the person referenced files with a file path pointing locally on their machine. My scripts do not do that. I'm most confused because the scripts work for me every time, and for most others, but for some there are still causing issues. Any insights? 

Cheers, and thanks for you help. I know this is a long post!

blob:https://www.millisecond.com/30a94d2e-3f3b-4c96-aae3-b0df60938c81
michaelwaltrip
michaelwaltrip
Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)Respected Member (392 reputation)
In case the photo I upload does not show up -- you can find it here: https://imgur.com/a/F1OuHWk
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
michaelwaltrip - 1/28/2020
In case the photo I upload does not show up -- you can find it here: https://imgur.com/a/F1OuHWk

You have <include> conditions for two platforms, Windows and Mac.

<include>
/ precondition = [computer.platform=="win"]
/ file = "win_vids3.iqx"
</include>

<include>
/ precondition = [computer.platform=="mac"]
/ file = "mac_vids2.iqx"
</include>

You don't have anything for the 3rd platform, iOS (iPhones, iPads), which is why this error occured:

As can be seen in the logs, this participant (and probably also the others experiencing a similar error) was using an iPhone:

To cover those cases, you need to introduce a 3rd <include> condition, i.e.

<include>
/ precondition = [computer.platform=="ios"]
/ file = "mac_vids2.iqx"
</include>

When you replace a script with a revised one, it will take some time for the changes to propagate through the network of caches serving the experiment files. Usually, this happens quickly, but in rare instances a cache (it may not even be one of ours, but e.g. one on a person's institutional network) will malfunction and continue to serve the outdated copy of the file for a prolonged time.
michaelwaltrip
michaelwaltrip
Thanks - I'll include an iOS precondition. Of course, in my instructions on SONA I put participants must use a Mac or windows computer - though, I ought to have anticipated participants not following directions, hah. 

I checked the logs and it does look like many of the instances where myvideoitems could not be located was due to the participant using an iPhone. However, this is not the case for all participants. For example, subject ID 41522 attempted using Safari on Mac and came across the issue (https://imgur.com/a/u1Efzqr). The participant (subject ID 41415) whose machine could not load "IMG_1159.jpeg" was also using Safari/Mac. Could something else be causing these? Participants can get pretty frustrated when experience tech issues, for good reason, so I want to make sure I cover all my bases.

That makes sense about changes taking time to propagate through all the systems. Thanks for the information.

I appreciate your help on this
michaelwaltrip
michaelwaltrip
Looks like the ")." got included in my hyperlink for Imgur. highlight the URL itself to make the link work. 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
michaelwaltrip - 1/28/2020
Looks like the ")." got included in my hyperlink for Imgur. highlight the URL itself to make the link work. 

> subject ID 41522 attempted using Safari on Mac

Not necessarily. This may have been an iPad with Safari's "Request Desktop Website" setting enabled, which leads to the device reporting itself to the site as a Mac.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/119186

The Inquisit version indicated for that person supports that hypothesis. 5.0.15.0 is the latest iOS version, the latest Mac version is 5.0.14.0.

The image loading issue could be any number of things, most likely, though, the participant's internet connection suffered some intermittent issue.

michaelwaltrip
michaelwaltrip
That makes sense - not something I would have thought of.
Thanks again, Dave. Your immediate availability for help on this forum is a huge benefit to using Inquisit as experimental software!

Michael

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search