Display single letter of text phrase at a time in a single trial

Author
asnuser
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a series of text phrases, and I would like to present one letter at a time of that phrase in a single trial, and control the speed at which each letter is added on. Is there a way to loop through an item list and do this without building individual letter stimulus sets for each text item? The duration of the trial should therefore be based on the number of letters in the phrase presented.

<text slow>
/ items = slowitems
/ color = black
/ position = (50, 50)
/ txbgcolor = transparent
/ txcolor = black
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 24pt)
</text>

<item slowitems>
/1 = " slow1 "
/2 = " slow2 "
/3 = " slow3 "
</item>

<trial slowtrial>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ correctresponse = (" ")
/ posttrialpause = 4000
/ stimulustimes = [1=slow]
</trial>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
asnuser - 3/2/2020
I have a series of text phrases, and I would like to present one letter at a time of that phrase in a single trial, and control the speed at which each letter is added on. Is there a way to loop through an item list and do this without building individual letter stimulus sets for each text item? The duration of the trial should therefore be based on the number of letters in the phrase presented.

<text slow>
/ items = slowitems
/ color = black
/ position = (50, 50)
/ txcolor = black
</text>

<item slowitems>
/1 = " slow1 "
/2 = " slow2 "
/3 = " slow3 "
</item>

<trial slowtrial>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ posttrialpause = 4000
</trial>

This can be done. You'll want to take a look at the self-paced reading script, which you can modify to do this.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 3/2/2020
asnuser - 3/2/2020

<text slow>
/ items = slowitems
/ color = black
/ position = (50, 50)
/ txcolor = black
</text>

<item slowitems>
/1 = " slow1 "
/2 = " slow2 "
/3 = " slow3 "
</item>

<trial slowtrial>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ posttrialpause = 4000
</trial>

This can be done. You'll want to take a look at the self-paced reading script, which you can modify to do this.

A quick modification of that script to illustrate is attached.
Attachments
machinepacedreading.iqx (172 views, 31.00 KB)
asnuser
asnuser
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Thank you, this was an extremely helpful example!
asnuser
asnuser
Dave - 3/2/2020
Dave - 3/2/2020
asnuser - 3/2/2020

<text slow>
/ items = slowitems
/ color = black
/ position = (50, 50)
/ txcolor = black
</text>

<item slowitems>
/1 = " slow1 "
/2 = " slow2 "
/3 = " slow3 "
</item>

<trial slowtrial>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ posttrialpause = 4000
</trial>

I added an interstimulus trial with a fixed duration by changing endtrial to something like this:
<trial endtrial_Cslow>
/ stimulusframes = [1=background, fixation]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 4000
/ branch = [
    return (trial.getstim_Cslow);
]
</trial>

I want to have participants respond to a likert scale after they see each sentence. How do I build that as trial into the block, after the endtrial?

Dave
Dave
asnuser - 3/6/2020
Dave - 3/2/2020
Dave - 3/2/2020
asnuser - 3/2/2020

<text slow>
/ items = slowitems
/ color = black
/ position = (50, 50)
/ txcolor = black
</text>

<item slowitems>
/1 = " slow1 "
/2 = " slow2 "
/3 = " slow3 "
</item>

<trial slowtrial>
/ validresponse = (" ")
/ posttrialpause = 4000
</trial>

I added an interstimulus trial with a fixed duration by changing endtrial to something like this:
<trial endtrial_Cslow>
/ stimulusframes = [1=background, fixation]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 4000
/ branch = [
    return (trial.getstim_Cslow);
]
</trial>

I want to have participants respond to a likert scale after they see each sentence. How do I build that as trial into the block, after the endtrial?

From the endtrial, /branch to the likert. From the likert then /branch to the getstim_Cslow trial.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search