Change Format for some specfic words in instruct

Author
w.cao@uu.nl
Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have several long sentences for instruction, I want to emphasis some important words e.g., to be Italic or another color (which is difference form the whole sentences font or tycolor), how can I do this?

And when I require participants to answer a textbox element question by asking them to write a pharagraph, how should I set the attribute? AS the options in MASK only contain alphabetic or alphabeticnumber, even space are not allowed. for example,  particiants want to answer "I am so happy yesterday because my mom bought my long-cherished Logo, it was more than $100!"

Is anybody know how to deal with this? Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020
I have several long sentences for instruction, I want to emphasis some important words e.g., to be Italic or another color (which is difference form the whole sentences font or tycolor), how can I do this?

And when I require participants to answer a textbox element question by asking them to write a pharagraph, how should I set the attribute? AS the options in MASK only contain alphabetic or alphabeticnumber, even space are not allowed. for example,  particiants want to answer "I am so happy yesterday because my mom bought my long-cherished Logo, it was more than $100!"

> I have several long sentences for instruction, I want to emphasis some important words e.g., to be Italic or another color (which is difference form the whole sentences font or tycolor), how can I do this?

If you are talking about instruction pages displayed via /pre- or /postinstructions, you can create HTML files formatted the way you want and use <htmlpage>. If you are talking about regular <text> elements displayed in <trial>s, it's not possible to change the formatting for single words.

> And when I require participants to answer a textbox element question by asking them to write a pharagraph, how should I set the attribute? AS the options in MASK only contain alphabetic or alphabeticnumber, even space are not allowed. for example, particiants want to answer "I am so happy yesterday because my mom bought my long-cherished Logo, it was more than $100!"

If you don't want to impose any constraints on what participants can input, do not specify any /mask attribute. It's optional.

w.cao@uu.nl
w.cao@uu.nl
Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)Associate Member (217 reputation)
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020

> I have several long sentences for instruction, I want to emphasis some important words e.g., to be Italic or another color (which is difference form the whole sentences font or tycolor), how can I do this?

If you are talking about instruction pages displayed via /pre- or /postinstructions, you can create HTML files formatted the way you want and use <htmlpage>. If you are talking about regular <text> elements displayed in <trial>s, it's not possible to change the formatting for single words.

> And when I require participants to answer a textbox element question by asking them to write a pharagraph, how should I set the attribute? AS the options in MASK only contain alphabetic or alphabeticnumber, even space are not allowed. for example, particiants want to answer "I am so happy yesterday because my mom bought my long-cherished Logo, it was more than $100!"

If you don't want to impose any constraints on what participants can input, do not specify any /mask attribute. It's optional.

Ok, thank you! So it is also impossible to change format in radiobuttons elements right?

And I also have another question, can I refer to the particiant's text answer? For example, I have an open question asking participants to write down their favorite colleague's name, (e.g., one participant give the answer "Anna"), how can I refer to this specfic answer in later questions? for example a later question is "I like to chat with ___ in my spare time", and this particpant would see "I like to chat with Anna in my spare time"

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Wenrui
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020

Ok, thank you! So it is also impossible to change format in radiobuttons elements right?

And I also have another question, can I refer to the particiant's text answer? For example, I have an open question asking participants to write down their favorite colleague's name, (e.g., one participant give the answer "Anna"), how can I refer to this specfic answer in later questions? for example a later question is "I like to chat with ___ in my spare time", and this particpant would see "I like to chat with Anna in my spare time"

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Wenrui

> Ok, thank you! So it is also impossible to change format in radiobuttons elements right?

You cannot change the format of individual words, correct.

> I have an open question asking participants to write down their favorite colleague's name, (e.g., one participant give the answer "Anna"), how can I refer to this specfic answer in later questions? for example a later question is "I like to chat with ___ in my spare time", and this particpant would see "I like to chat with Anna in my spare time"

By piping in the respective open question's response property. See https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic17586.aspx

w.cao@uu.nl
w.cao@uu.nl
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Wenrui

> Ok, thank you! So it is also impossible to change format in radiobuttons elements right?

> I have an open question asking participants to write down their favorite colleague's name, (e.g., one participant give the answer "Anna"), how can I refer to this specfic answer in later questions? for example a later question is "I like to chat with ___ in my spare time", and this particpant would see "I like to chat with Anna in my spare time"

By piping in the respective open question's response property. See https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic17586.aspx

Hi Dave,

I am really sorry that I checked the language reference website but still unclear about how to use <values>.
Examples were given like tracking the total score and sum of squares of response latencies.
What I want to track is the text answer.

<textbox friend_firstname>
/ caption = "Please write down the first name of this person. "
/ mask = alphabetic
/ minchars = 50 ***without mask but add a limitation
</textbox>

How could I track the answer that participant give?
e.g., participant A answered Anna, participants B answered Luna, participant C ...
And next question is

<radiobuttons satisfaction>
/ caption = "I usually know how satisfied '<%textbox.friend_firstname%>' is with what I do"
/ options = ("1 (strongly disagree)", " 2 ", " 3 ", " 4 ", " 5 ", " 6 ", " 7 (strongly agree)")
/ optionvalues = ("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7")
/ orientation = horizontal
</radiobuttons>

Thank you very much!
Wenrui
Dave
Dave
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/5/2020
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Wenrui

Hi Dave,

I am really sorry that I checked the language reference website but still unclear about how to use <values>.
Examples were given like tracking the total score and sum of squares of response latencies.

/ mask = alphabetic
</textbox>

e.g., participant A answered Anna, participants B answered Luna, participant C ...
And next question is

/ caption = "I usually know how satisfied '<%textbox.friend_firstname%>' is with what I do"
/ options = ("1 (strongly disagree)", " 2 ", " 3 ", " 4 ", " 5 ", " 6 ", " 7 (strongly agree)")
</radiobuttons>

Thank you very much!
Wenrui

You don't need <values> to track the response. The response is tracked in textbox.friend_firstname.response

/ caption = "I usually know how satisfied '<%textbox.friend_firstname.response%>' is with what I do"
</radiobuttons>

exactly as in the example I referred you to: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic17586.aspx
w.cao@uu.nl
w.cao@uu.nl
Dave - 3/5/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/5/2020
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020
Dave - 3/4/2020
w.cao@uu.nl - 3/4/2020

Thank you for your help!
Best wishes,
Wenrui

Hi Dave,

/ mask = alphabetic
</textbox>

And next question is

</radiobuttons>

Thank you very much!
Wenrui

You don't need <values> to track the response. The response is tracked in textbox.friend_firstname.response

/ caption = "I usually know how satisfied '<%textbox.friend_firstname.response%>' is with what I do"
</radiobuttons>

exactly as in the example I referred you to: https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic17586.aspx

Thanks Dave,

I am a little mess up with the answers you gave to another person and didn't notice you already referred me an example...
Thank you!
Dave
Dave
The just released update to Inquisit 6.1 ( https://www.millisecond.com/download/ )now supports inline formatting options. For details, please see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/markup.htm

<defaults>
/ minimumversion = "6.1.0"
</defaults>

<surveypage examplepage>
/ questions = [1=examplequestion]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons examplequestion>
/ caption = "We'll make a <b>single</b> word bold."
/ options = ("Nice.")
</radiobuttons>

GO

Merge Selected