Carry Forward Participant Text Response for Follow-up Questions

Author
ashleym
Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to save a participant's text response to a free-response text entry question and then ask them questions about their response. There are two ways I can imagine this working, but I'm not sure how exactly to do either.

I would like participants to see some instructions and then write up an answer in a text box. Next, I would like them to answer a question about their text-box response (e.g., how positive is this outcome). I need participants to not view the follow-up questions on the same page as their text-response question, so either (1) the follow-up question needs to pop onto the screen later, underneath their text-box response, or (2) their text-box response needs to be saved somehow and carried over onto the next screen where the follow-up question would be.

Right now, I have this set up using survey pages (which I'm sure is the least elegant way I could do this; I'm new to Inquisit). Basically, I need participants to see the instructions, the scenario, and q1 (text box) at first, where they will type their text response; then, q2 (radio button) needs to appear so they can answer the question *while still being able to view their text-box response. I've pasted some basic code below, which is where I'm at at this point. I'm also not married to this survey-page approach (I have 22 of these scenarios), so if there is an easier way to do this (e.g., trials, lists, etc.), it would be great to know that too.

Thank you in advance for any help!! It is GREATLY appreciated.
Ashley

<surveypage scenario1>
/ caption = "Instructions: Imagine yourself as the main character in the following scenario. Please continue the story as you think it would play out and complete the story as you imagine it would end. Write your version of the story and your ending to the story in the box provided."
/ subcaption = "
SCENARIO PARTICIPANTS WILL READ AND COMPLETE . . . "
/ questions = [1=q1; 2 = q2;]
</surveypage>

<textbox q1>
/ textboxsize = (70, 30)
/ required = false
/ maxchars = 100000
/ multiline = true
</textbox>

<radiobuttons q2>
/ caption = "To what extent is your written ending to this scenario NEGATIVE or POSITIVE?"
/ options = ("Very negative", "Negative", "Somewhat negative", "Neutral", "Somewhat positive", "Positive", "Very positive")
/ optionvalues = ("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7")
/ orientation = horizontal
/ position = (10%, 75%)
</radiobuttons>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
ashleym - 4/21/2020
Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to save a participant's text response to a free-response text entry question and then ask them questions about their response. There are two ways I can imagine this working, but I'm not sure how exactly to do either.

I would like participants to see some instructions and then write up an answer in a text box. Next, I would like them to answer a question about their text-box response (e.g., how positive is this outcome). I need participants to not view the follow-up questions on the same page as their text-response question, so either (1) the follow-up question needs to pop onto the screen later, underneath their text-box response, or (2) their text-box response needs to be saved somehow and carried over onto the next screen where the follow-up question would be.

Right now, I have this set up using survey pages (which I'm sure is the least elegant way I could do this; I'm new to Inquisit). Basically, I need participants to see the instructions, the scenario, and q1 (text box) at first, where they will type their text response; then, q2 (radio button) needs to appear so they can answer the question *while still being able to view their text-box response. I've pasted some basic code below, which is where I'm at at this point. I'm also not married to this survey-page approach (I have 22 of these scenarios), so if there is an easier way to do this (e.g., trials, lists, etc.), it would be great to know that too.

Thank you in advance for any help!! It is GREATLY appreciated.
Ashley

<surveypage scenario1>
/ caption = "Instructions: Imagine yourself as the main character in the following scenario. Please continue the story as you think it would play out and complete the story as you imagine it would end. Write your version of the story and your ending to the story in the box provided."
/ subcaption = "
/ questions = [1=q1; 2 = q2;]
</surveypage>

<textbox q1>
/ textboxsize = (70, 30)
/ required = false
/ maxchars = 100000
/ multiline = true
</textbox>

<radiobuttons q2>
/ caption = "To what extent is your written ending to this scenario NEGATIVE or POSITIVE?"
/ options = ("Very negative", "Negative", "Somewhat negative", "Neutral", "Somewhat positive", "Positive", "Very positive")
/ position = (10%, 75%)
</radiobuttons>

In a nutshell:

<block example>
/ trials = [1=scenario1; 2=scenario1followup]
</block>

<surveypage scenario1>
/ subcaption = "
/ questions = [1=q1]
</surveypage>

<textbox q1>
/ textboxsize = (70, 30)
/ required = false
/ maxchars = 100000
/ multiline = true
</textbox>

<surveypage scenario1followup>
/ caption = "You responded:~n<%textbox.q1.response%>"
/ questions = [1=q2]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q2>
/ position = (10%, 75%)
</radiobuttons>
ashleym
ashleym
Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It works. Excellent, THANK YOU!!!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search