Setting minimum response latency in IAT

Author
crstevenson
Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

I am wondering if there is a way to set a minimum response latency in an IAT. I have been able to get output indicating responses below a certain latency. Is there a way to make it so if participants try to move forward too quickly, a message appears telling them they are going too fast and requires them to take a certain amount of time to respond?

Thanks!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
crstevenson - 6/4/2020
Hi there,

I am wondering if there is a way to set a minimum response latency in an IAT. I have been able to get output indicating responses below a certain latency. Is there a way to make it so if participants try to move forward too quickly, a message appears telling them they are going too fast and requires them to take a certain amount of time to respond?

Thanks!

Generally short response times (< 300ms) are permissible in IATs, as long as there isn't an excessive amount of such short response times.

What you could do fairly easily is /branch to reminder <trial> that alerts participants to slow down in case latency in a given trial falls below some threshold.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 6/4/2020
crstevenson - 6/4/2020
Hi there,

Thanks!

Generally short response times (< 300ms) are permissible in IATs, as long as there isn't an excessive amount of such short response times.

What you could do fairly easily is /branch to reminder <trial> that alerts participants to slow down in case latency in a given trial falls below some threshold.

Basic example attached. Take a look at the /branch attributes in the attribute and target trials, the added <trial toofast> element, and the changes to the combined blocks' /ontrialend logic.

Attachments
iat_toofast.zip (204 views, 9.00 KB)
crstevenson
crstevenson
Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)Associate Member (161 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thank you so much! This was very helpful! I just made the toofast message show up for 5 seconds to deter people from skipping over it. Thanks again!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search