Inquisit exiting with no explanation when I run my script

Author
glide_over_all
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone know why the entire Inquisit 5 application is randomly exiting entirely when I run my script, meaning that I have to open up everything again to go through the script again, without any information about why the script didn't run properly nor why the application exited? Would this be some type of runtime error? If so, shouldn't some I receive some information from the program rather than it exiting entirely?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
glide_over_all - 7/27/2020
Does anyone know why the entire Inquisit 5 application is randomly exiting entirely when I run my script, meaning that I have to open up everything again to go through the script again, without any information about why the script didn't run properly nor why the application exited? Would this be some type of runtime error? If so, shouldn't some I receive some information from the program rather than it exiting entirely?

> Would this be some type of runtime error?

Most likely yes. Or you have a script.abort() condition in your script that is triggered. Apart from reviewing your code accordingly, you should take note of when / where the seemingly random exit occurs and work backwards from there. In all likelihood, the exit isn't random at all, but systematically tied to an issue with your script that occurs under specific conditions.

> If so, shouldn't some I receive some information from the program rather than it exiting entirely?

That would depend on the type of error, so not necessarily.
Edited 4 Years Ago by Dave
glide_over_all
glide_over_all
New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)New Member (40 reputation)
So are you saying that Inquisit isn't providing me with information about runtime errors here? Isn't that a pretty major design flaw for a coding program? Lol.

Most likely yes. Or you have a script.abort() condition in your script that is triggered.

I don't have a script.abort() condition so that can't be the case.

Apart from reviewing your code accordingly, you should take note of when / where the seemingly random exit occurs and work backwards from there. In all likelihood, the exit isn't random at all, but systematically tied to an issue with your script that occurs under specific conditions.

I can't because the Inquisit application exits and I have to reopen Inquisit 5 every time, so it's impossible or me to see where the problem is occurring. If there is a runtime error, why is the entire Inquisit 5 program exiting? I've never once had this problem with any of the programs I've written in different platforms. Shouldn't the script just terminate and it take me back to the Inquisit window rather than closing the entire program?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
So are you saying that Inquisit isn't providing me with information about runtime errors here? Isn't that a pretty major design flaw for a coding program? Lol.

Most likely yes. Or you have a script.abort() condition in your script that is triggered.

Apart from reviewing your code accordingly, you should take note of when / where the seemingly random exit occurs and work backwards from there. In all likelihood, the exit isn't random at all, but systematically tied to an issue with your script that occurs under specific conditions.

I can't because the Inquisit application exits and I have to reopen Inquisit 5 every time, so it's impossible or me to see where the problem is occurring. If there is a runtime error, why is the entire Inquisit 5 program exiting? I've never once had this problem with any of the programs I've written in different platforms. Shouldn't the script just terminate and it take me back to the Inquisit window rather than closing the entire program?

> So are you saying that Inquisit isn't providing me with information about runtime errors here? Isn't that a pretty major design flaw for a coding program? Lol.

No, that is not what I'm saying. Inquisit will provide information about runtime errors if it can. If the issue is such that it evokes a crash in either Inquisit itself or one of the underlying operating systme components, however, Inquisit may not be in position to provide any error message anymore.

> I can't because the Inquisit application exits and I have to reopen Inquisit 5 every time, so it's impossible or me to see where the problem is occurring.

You will have data files up to the point where the exit occurs.

glide_over_all
glide_over_all
Dave - 7/27/2020

> So are you saying that Inquisit isn't providing me with information about runtime errors here? Isn't that a pretty major design flaw for a coding program? Lol.

No, that is not what I'm saying. Inquisit will provide information about runtime errors if it can. If the issue is such that it evokes a crash in either Inquisit itself or one of the underlying operating systme components, however, Inquisit may not be in position to provide any error message anymore.

> I can't because the Inquisit application exits and I have to reopen Inquisit 5 every time, so it's impossible or me to see where the problem is occurring.

OK, thanks. I can't find information about where I locate these data files. Do you know where I can locate them?
Dave
Dave
Dave - 7/27/2020

OK, thanks. I can't find information about where I locate these data files. Do you know where I can locate them?

Data files will typically stored alongside your script, i.e. in the same folder / directory where your *.iqx file is. They have an *.iqdat extension.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search