using expressions to show a Tally for points

Author
uni-student92084
Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, 

In my script, particpants will be rewarded 5 cents if they are correct and lose 5 cents if they are incorrect. My goal is to show the particpants a tally of the total amount of money they have earned on each trial.

With the code I have tried so far (shown below), the total monetary reward shows up and they gain 5 cents when they are correct, but instead of losing 5 cents when they are wrong, their amount stays the same.

<values>
/score =1.00
</values>

**In trial**
/ ontrialend = [values.score = values.score + 0.50 *trial. DemBE_O.correct]

<item tally>
/ 1 = "Total score: <% values.score%>"
</item>

<text tally>
/ items = tally
/ hposition = (80)
/ vposition = (20)
</text>

I realize that in /ontrialend=, it make sense for them to not lose points because 0.50 is multiplied by 0. 

But if I wanted the tally of money to decrease by 5 cents, how would I do this? I am pretty sure I would have to use the expression element and maybe the if, else statments, but I am having trouble figuring out how to format it. 

I will also attach the full script for more context.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments
try with expressions.iqx (191 views, 269.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
uni-student92084 - 8/25/2020
Hello, 

In my script, particpants will be rewarded 5 cents if they are correct and lose 5 cents if they are incorrect. My goal is to show the particpants a tally of the total amount of money they have earned on each trial.

With the code I have tried so far (shown below), the total monetary reward shows up and they gain 5 cents when they are correct, but instead of losing 5 cents when they are wrong, their amount stays the same.

<values>
/score =1.00
</values>

**In trial**

<item tally>
</item>

<text tally>
/ items = tally
/ hposition = (80)
/ vposition = (20)
</text>

I realize that in /ontrialend=, it make sense for them to not lose points because 0.50 is multiplied by 0. 

But if I wanted the tally of money to decrease by 5 cents, how would I do this? I am pretty sure I would have to use the expression element and maybe the if, else statments, but I am having trouble figuring out how to format it. 

You don't need the <expressions> element, all you need is a few simple if conditions in your /ontrialend logic.

/ ontrialend = [
    if (trial.DemBI_P.correct) {
        values.score += 0.50;
    } else if (trial.DemBI_P.error) {
        values.score -= 0.50;
    }
]
uni-student92084
uni-student92084
Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)Partner Member (608 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 8/25/2020
Hello, 

<values>
/score =1.00
</values>

**In trial**

<item tally>
</item>

<text tally>
/ items = tally
/ hposition = (80)
/ vposition = (20)
</text>

You don't need the <expressions> element, all you need is a few simple if conditions in your /ontrialend logic.

/ ontrialend = [
        values.score += 0.50;
        values.score -= 0.50;
    }
]

That makes sense, thank you Dave!
One question, what do the symbols += and -= mean? I am guessing they mean add and subtract from value.score, right?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 8/25/2020
Hello, 

<values>
/score =1.00
</values>

**In trial**

<item tally>
</item>

<text tally>
/ items = tally
/ hposition = (80)
/ vposition = (20)
</text>

/ ontrialend = [
        values.score += 0.50;
        values.score -= 0.50;
    }
]

That makes sense, thank you Dave!
One question, what do the symbols += and -= mean? I am guessing they mean add and subtract from value.score, right?

Correct.They're the increment and decrement operators: https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v6/html/language/expressions/operators.htm

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search