Issues running online study on Windows 10

Author
Jessica_FAU
Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)Respected Member (380 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear all,

I have programmed an experiment with Inquisit 6 for an online study and ran it with various systems. Except for some waiting time due to downloading or saving, the experiment worked on every macOS system (MacBook and iMac). However, using Windows 10 seems to be a problem. The experiment starts and plays the first two modules (or scripts) but freezes EVERY TIME at the third module - it involves movies that are played through the following command:

<video xxx>
/ items = ("http://www.xxx.mp4")
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ playthrough = true
</video>

The message that appears is the following: "finished buffering" (448 files)

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

For one of the devices used (Microsoft Surface) the download was rated as unsafe and therefore not possible. Is there anything I can do about this?

And my last related question is whether there is a command that can adjust the formatting to every screen? For example, I have programmed the experiment on a 15 inches screen. With smaller or much larger screens parts of the stimuli or text are either cut, skewed, or displayed extremely small.

I would highly appreciate your help!!!

Best,
Jessica
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Jessica_FAU - 9/21/2020
Dear all,

I have programmed an experiment with Inquisit 6 for an online study and ran it with various systems. Except for some waiting time due to downloading or saving, the experiment worked on every macOS system (MacBook and iMac). However, using Windows 10 seems to be a problem. The experiment starts and plays the first two modules (or scripts) but freezes EVERY TIME at the third module - it involves movies that are played through the following command:

<video xxx>
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ playthrough = true
</video>

The message that appears is the following: "finished buffering" (448 files)

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

For one of the devices used (Microsoft Surface) the download was rated as unsafe and therefore not possible. Is there anything I can do about this?

And my last related question is whether there is a command that can adjust the formatting to every screen? For example, I have programmed the experiment on a 15 inches screen. With smaller or much larger screens parts of the stimuli or text are either cut, skewed, or displayed extremely small.

I would highly appreciate your help!!!

Best,
Jessica

If the video is fairly large, set it to stream at runtime instead of trying to download it in full before running:

<video xxx>
/ size = (100%, 100%)
/ playthrough = true
/ stream = true
</video>

> For one of the devices used (Microsoft Surface) the download was rated as unsafe and therefore not possible. Is there anything I can do about this?

https://windowsreport.com/unsafe-download-was-blocked-smartscreen/

> And my last related question is whether there is a command that can adjust the formatting to every screen? For example, I have programmed the experiment on a 15 inches screen. With smaller or much larger screens parts of the stimuli or text are either cut, skewed, or displayed extremely small.

Make use of /canvasaspectratio and define all sizes (including font sizes) and positions in percentages.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search