How to name audio files collected online?

Author
AbigailNovick
Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I have an online experiment that I am running using Inquisit 6. Subjects are responding with their microphones, and I record a new sound file for each trial (and I have hundreds of trials for each subject).

I would love to save each subject's audio data in a separate folder. Right now, there are 1k+ audiofiles in my "soundcaptures" folder and its difficult to organize them.

Is there a way to specify the file save system for soundcapture files? I would also like to rename the files something other than the defaults.

Thanks so much,
Abby
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
AbigailNovick - 9/23/2020
Hello,

I have an online experiment that I am running using Inquisit 6. Subjects are responding with their microphones, and I record a new sound file for each trial (and I have hundreds of trials for each subject).

I would love to save each subject's audio data in a separate folder. Right now, there are 1k+ audiofiles in my "soundcaptures" folder and its difficult to organize them.

Is there a way to specify the file save system for soundcapture files? I would also like to rename the files something other than the defaults.

Thanks so much,
Abby

> Is there a way to specify the file save system for soundcapture files?

No.

> I would also like to rename the files something other than the defaults.

There currently is no way to change the defaults. However, once you've downloaded the files, you can of course rename and organize them on your computer in whatever way is most convenient for your purposes.

AbigailNovick
AbigailNovick
Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)Respected Member (364 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 9/23/2020
Hello,

Thanks so much,
Abby

No.

There currently is no way to change the defaults. However, once you've downloaded the files, you can of course rename and organize them on your computer in whatever way is most convenient for your purposes.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. This would be a useful feature for future releases!
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 9/23/2020
Hello,

Thanks so much,
Abby

No.

The naming scheme for the files (useful for systematically and automatically sorting or renaming them once downloaded) is:

scriptname_soundcaptures_subjectid_YYYY-MM-DD_hhmmss_blocknumber_trialnumberinblock.wav

YYYY-MM-DD is the script's start date (same as logged in the corresponding data file, e.g. 2020-09-23) and hhmmss is the script's start time (same as logged in the corresponding data file, e.g. 081530 for 8AM, 15 minutes and 30 seconds).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search