latency in the data base does not reflect trial duration

Author
dnaber
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, in my trials I put a trial duration of 5 seconds but I noticed that in the data base in the variable latency the duration is not 5000 but 4867. This is the case throughout all my trials. I tried both "/ trialduration = 5000" and "/ timeout = 5000" but none of them solves the problem. Can anybody give me a hint what to do? Thanks in advance.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
dnaber - 9/24/2020
Hi, in my trials I put a trial duration of 5 seconds but I noticed that in the data base in the variable latency the duration is not 5000 but 4867. This is the case throughout all my trials. I tried both "/ trialduration = 5000" and "/ timeout = 5000" but none of them solves the problem. Can anybody give me a hint what to do? Thanks in advance.

Latency isn't necessarily equal to trialduration. It depends on when the given trial *begins* listening to responses, which is -- by default -- when that trial's stimulus presentation sequence has finished. I.e. with

<trial example>
/ stimulustimes = [0=fixation; 133=stimulus]
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)
/ trialduration = 5000
</trial>

you'll get a latency of ~4867 if no response occurs.

Similarly, both /trialduration and /timeout *include* any /pretrialpause, so if you have

<trial example>
/ pretrialpause = 133
/ stimulusframes = [1=text.fixation]
/ validresponse = (noresponse)
/ trialduration = 5000
</trial>

<text fixation>
/ items = ("+")
</text>

<text stimulus>
/ items = ("stim")
</text>

you'll again see a latency of 4867. And that's exactly the way it should be.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search