converting inquisit 5 script to inquisit 4

Author
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
gehaffner - 10/15/2020
Dave - 10/14/2020
gehaffner - 10/14/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/13/2020
Dave - 10/13/2020
gehaffner - 10/12/2020
Hi there,

I am working on a dot probe script and my lab at school only has access to inquisit 4, but the script is in inquisit 5. I have read some of the forums on converting the scripts but am having difficulty getting it to comply. Any tips on getting this script to work on a lower version?

The same things as listed here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic27214.aspx and here https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic26082.aspx

Thank You!

I had a follow-up question. I'm having a hard time determining what to do with the <list> elements. Should expressions and all references to lists be deleted and then redo it under values?

You can leave the <list> elements in the script as they are, nor do you need to remove the references to the list elements in any of the /ontrialend logic. What you need to do, however, is change the <expressions> to calculate the means etc. based on values that you some up in the <trial> element's /ontrialend logic.

I.e.

<expressions>
/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = list.accuracy_Category2_C.mean
</expressions>

needs to be changed to something like

<expressions>
/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = (values.ncorrect_congruent_category2/values.ntotal_congruent_category2)
</expressions>

where values.ncorrect_congruent_category2 is the value where you sum up the correct responses in congruent category 2 trials and values.ntotal_congruent_category2 is where you sum up the total number of congruent category 2 trials and so forth.

Thank you so much for this. Below is a bit of what I edited - does this look roughly correct?

/ propcorrect_congruent_Category2 = values.sumcorrect_congruent_category2/values.count_congruent_category2
/ propcorrect_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumcorrect_incongruent_category2/values.count_incongruent_category2
/ meanRT_congruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_congruent_category2/values.sumrt
/ meanRT_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_incongruent_category2/values.sumrt
/ AB_category2 = expressions.meanRT_incongruent_category2 - expressions.meanRT_congruent_category2
</expressions>

It does look roughly correct, though I'm not sure about

/ meanRT_congruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_congruent_category2/values.sumrt
/ meanRT_incongruent_Category2 = values.sumrt_incongruent_category2/values.sumrt

If you want to calculate a mean, then you'll want to divide by the number (count) of relevant trials, not by a sum. Of course I can't see what your "values.sumrt" actually is -- i.e. whether it's a count of those trials or -- as the name would seem to imply -- another sum of response latencies. If the latter, that'd be obviously wrong and wouldn't yield a mean.

Ok great! I made some changes and the script when run in inquisit 4 now only has 6 errors, however I am having a hard time interpreting what they mean. I can find them but am not sure what to change. Any ideas? I appreciate it!

There is no such thing as a "nextvalues" property. There is only a "nextvalue" (note:singular) property.

You have a missing statement separator (;) somewhere in <trial category1> and <trial category2>'s /ontrialend logic.

Since you did not share the actual code, I cannot say anything about the last error.

last thing: it runs now in inquisit 4, but the instructions page format is a little bunched up / squished in version 4 than how it appears in version 5. I want to edit the parameters of it so the participants can see it clearly. What should I edit in this section?

<instruct>
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2.80%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = black
/ windowsize = (90%, 90%)
</instruct>

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/language/attributes/windowsize.htm

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search