Fixed order of pictures across trials

Author
Paige Kemp
Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In my final test phase for my experiment, participants will be presented with two pictures and they have to click on the picture they previously saw in the study phase. However, I have a fixed position order in which I want the pictures presented across trials. In my experiment I have 90 images to present (45 on the left side of the screen, 45 on the right side of the screen), but he is a snippet for what I would like with 6 pictures.

<picture statements_test_picture1>
/ items = ("Cinderella_Castle_M.png", "Veteran_Suicide_M.png", "Mexican_Border_Crossings_M.png", "Rural_Hospitals_M.png", "Clinton_Nkorea_M.png", "Race_Starbucks_M.png",
</picture >

****POSITION for test_picture1****
"Right", "Right", "Left", "Left", "Right", "Left",

<picture statements_test_picture2>
/ items = ("Cinderella_Castle_C.png", "Veteran_Suicide_C.png", "Mexican_Border_Crossings_C.png", "Rural_Hospitals_C.png", "Clinton_Nkorea_C.png", "Race_Starbucks_M.png",
</picture >

****POSITION for test_picture2****
"Left", "Left", "Right", "Right", "Left", "Right".

As you can see they go hand in hand, in that if "test_picture1" is presented on the left side of the screen, "test_picture2" will be presented on the right. I am pretty new to Inquisit and so I am wondering if I need a counter element to enable me to do this?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
KempInquisit - 11/10/2020
In my final test phase for my experiment, participants will be presented with two pictures and they have to click on the picture they previously saw in the study phase. However, I have a fixed position order in which I want the pictures presented across trials. In my experiment I have 90 images to present (45 on the left side of the screen, 45 on the right side of the screen), but he is a snippet for what I would like with 6 pictures.

/ items = ("Cinderella_Castle_M.png", "Veteran_Suicide_M.png", "Mexican_Border_Crossings_M.png", "Rural_Hospitals_M.png", "Clinton_Nkorea_M.png", "Race_Starbucks_M.png",
</picture >

/ items = ("Cinderella_Castle_C.png", "Veteran_Suicide_C.png", "Mexican_Border_Crossings_C.png", "Rural_Hospitals_C.png", "Clinton_Nkorea_C.png", "Race_Starbucks_M.png",
</picture >

As you can see they go hand in hand, in that if "test_picture1" is presented on the left side of the screen, "test_picture2" will be presented on the right. I am pretty new to Inquisit and so I am wondering if I need a counter element to enable me to do this?

Where is the fixed order in the code above? There is none that I can see.

Paige Kemp
Paige Kemp
Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)Associate Member (274 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 11/10/2020

</picture >

</picture >

Hi Dave, that's actually my question "Is there any code that enables the stimuli to be presented in a fixed position order?" or would it be simpler to create lists based on the position of the screen it should be displayed on? (I.e., a two lists with all the items that will be presented on the left side and right side) As opposed to creating the list and then specifying its position? 
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 11/10/2020

</picture >

</picture >

Hi Dave, that's actually my question "Is there any code that enables the stimuli to be presented in a fixed position order?" or would it be simpler to create lists based on the position of the screen it should be displayed on? (I.e., a two lists with all the items that will be presented on the left side and right side) As opposed to creating the list and then specifying its position? 

> "Is there any code that enables the stimuli to be presented in a fixed position order?"

Yes, of course there is. Set /select = sequence in your <picture> elements and their items will be sampled in the order given.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search