Randomly allocating participants to conditions

Author
fm323
Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave,

Is it possible for participants to complete a Qualtrics questionnaire and then after clicking a link, be randomly directed and allocated to one of three Inquisit experiments? (They only do one of the experiments) I have three separate scripts - they're attached. How would I go about doing this? Let me know if there's anything more I need to provide. Thanks!
Attachments
kitten test.iqx (177 views, 34.00 KB)
horror.iqx (171 views, 34.00 KB)
neutral code.iqx (183 views, 34.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
fm323 - 11/14/2020
Hi Dave,

Is it possible for participants to complete a Qualtrics questionnaire and then after clicking a link, be randomly directed and allocated to one of three Inquisit experiments? (They only do one of the experiments) I have three separate scripts - they're attached. How would I go about doing this? Let me know if there's anything more I need to provide. Thanks!

Yes, you need to create a <batch> script, with three conditions (one per script), and that needs to be set as your online study's start script.

<batch>
/ groups = (1 of 3)
/ file = "kitten test.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (2 of 3)
/ file = " horror.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (3 of 3)
/ file = "neutral code.iqx"
</batch>

In your online experiments settings, select random group ID generation (without replacement) and indicate the number of groups as 3.
fm323
fm323
Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)Associate Member (278 reputation)
Dave - 11/15/2020
fm323 - 11/14/2020
Hi Dave,

Yes, you need to create a <batch> script, with three conditions (one per script), and that needs to be set as your online study's start script.

<batch>
/ groups = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (2 of 3)
/ file = " horror.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (3 of 3)
</batch>

In your online experiments settings, select random group ID generation (without replacement) and indicate the number of groups as 3.

Sorry to be a pain, but is this the same in Inquisit 5? So far I've been able to change my code to fit into Inquisit 5 (thanks!), but after I run the experiment it says "Setting has invalid text '/ groups = (1 of 3) '". It also says it for the other two groups. What do I change?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
fm323 - 11/16/2020
Dave - 11/15/2020
fm323 - 11/14/2020
Hi Dave,

<batch>
/ groups = (1 of 3)
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (2 of 3)
/ file = " horror.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ groups = (3 of 3)
</batch>

Sorry to be a pain, but is this the same in Inquisit 5? So far I've been able to change my code to fit into Inquisit 5 (thanks!), but after I run the experiment it says "Setting has invalid text '/ groups = (1 of 3) '". It also says it for the other two groups. What do I change?

The equivalent in Inquisit 5 is

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 3)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 3)
/ file = " horror.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (3 of 3)
</batch>
dillonk
dillonk
Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)
Hi all, 

I have a question related to this topic. In my experiment, I set up two groups to include or exclude an additional task in the script. I set up the group ids so that they are determined by URL, as our groups depend on whether or not the participant is completing an optional MRI. In the experiment, I am including the Emotional Stroop. I need to set up the stroop so that the groups will randomly starts with neutral words or aggression words. Is there a way to add this randomization component into the stroop while maintaining group ids being determined by URL?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Dave
dillonk - 11/24/2020
Hi all, 

I have a question related to this topic. In my experiment, I set up two groups to include or exclude an additional task in the script. I set up the group ids so that they are determined by URL, as our groups depend on whether or not the participant is completing an optional MRI. In the experiment, I am including the Emotional Stroop. I need to set up the stroop so that the groups will randomly starts with neutral words or aggression words. Is there a way to add this randomization component into the stroop while maintaining group ids being determined by URL?

Thanks in advance!

You can assign any between-subjects manipulation you set up in the stroop script randomly per /groupassignment = random.. That, then, would not rely on group ids.

dillonk
dillonk
Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)Associate Member (215 reputation)
Thanks
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search