Sliders/Scales with labels in varying intervals

Author
Christin41
Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying to program scales (so sliders) that have labels in varying intervals. Namely, the labeled magnitude scale (LMS, Green et al., 1996) and the labeled hedonic scale (LHS, Lim et al., 2009). I am attaching a picture below of the hedonic scale that I am trying to achieve (that was programmed in MatLab). 

1. Is there a way of doing this in Inquisit within the slider element (or another element)? If not, is there maybe a way of adding text elements to survey pages (maybe another type of element that can be added in the background so to say of a question on a survey page)?

2. Also the labeled hedonic scale shown below should be scored with 100 for the both extremes and 0 for neutral (so Most liked sensation imaginable and Most disliked sensation imaginable should both be scored 100 with scored then getting smaller towards the middle where neutral stands for 0). Is this possible to program within Inquisit?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
I am trying to program scales (so sliders) that have labels in varying intervals. Namely, the labeled magnitude scale (LMS, Green et al., 1996) and the labeled hedonic scale (LHS, Lim et al., 2009). I am attaching a picture below of the hedonic scale that I am trying to achieve (that was programmed in MatLab). 

1. Is there a way of doing this in Inquisit within the slider element (or another element)? If not, is there maybe a way of adding text elements to survey pages (maybe another type of element that can be added in the background so to say of a question on a survey page)?

2. Also the labeled hedonic scale shown below should be scored with 100 for the both extremes and 0 for neutral (so Most liked sensation imaginable and Most disliked sensation imaginable should both be scored 100 with scored then getting smaller towards the middle where neutral stands for 0). Is this possible to program within Inquisit?

Please attach the image properly per +Insert -> Add FIle
Christin41
Christin41
Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)Associate Member (186 reputation)
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020

I attached it now! Thanks for the tipp.
Attachments
20180706_165953.jpg (179 views, 3.00 MB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020

It's possible to do, but fiddly. For the unevently spaced labels, you need to work with blank labels in between. Here's a simple example (I can't give you an exact one, since I don't have any information at which point values the actual labels a re supposed to appear in the original scales at issue).

<slider myslider>
/ labels = ("Most Liked", " ", " "," ", "Like Extremely", "Like Very Much", " ", " ", " ", "Neutral", " "," ", " ", "Dislike Very Much", "Dislike Extremely", " ", " ", " ", "Most Disliked")
/ range = (1,201)
/ orientation = vertical
/ showticks = false
/ slidersize = (25%, 70%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 1.5%)
</slider>

<surveypage mypage>
/ questions = [1=myslider]
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ showpagenumbers = false
</surveypage>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1= mypage]
</block>

For the scoring, you will need to write an expression that takes the raw slider response between 1 and 201 and maps it to the proper values (100 at the respective extremes, 0 for the neutral point, etc.)
Christin41
Christin41
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020

It's possible to do, but fiddly. For the unevently spaced labels, you need to work with blank labels in between. Here's a simple example (I can't give you an exact one, since I don't have any information at which point values the actual labels a re supposed to appear in the original scales at issue).

<slider myslider>
/ labels = ("Most Liked", " ", " "," ", "Like Extremely", "Like Very Much", " ", " ", " ", "Neutral", " "," ", " ", "Dislike Very Much", "Dislike Extremely", " ", " ", " ", "Most Disliked")
/ range = (1,201)
/ orientation = vertical
/ showticks = false
</slider>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1= mypage]
</block>

For the scoring, you will need to write an expression that takes the raw slider response between 1 and 201 and maps it to the proper values (100 at the respective extremes, 0 for the neutral point, etc.)

Thank you very much for your help!

Is there a maximum of labels that one can use? I tried to create 100 labels on a scale of a range of 1-100, but that seemed to not work (with the labels being far above and below the actual scale). I tried this to get an accurate spacing of the labels.

For the first scale this is the asked for spacing (I also attached an image of this)
Labeled Magnitude scale (on a scale from 0-100):        
Strongest imaginable 100
Very strong                 53.3
Strong                         35.4
Moderate                     17.2
Weak                            6.1
Barely detectable        1.4

For the other scale this is the appropriate spacing (on a scale going from 100 to 0 and 0 to 100 with 0 in the middle of the scale)  
Most liked sensation imaginable            100
Like extremely                                       65.72
Like very much                                      44.43
Like moderately                                     17.82
Like slightly                                             6.25
Neutral                                                       0
Dislike slightly                                          5.92
Dislike moderately                                 17.59
Dislike very much                                   42.58
Dislike extremely                                     62.89
Most disliked sensation imaginable          100

Attachments
LMS.PNG (171 views, 8.00 KB)
Christin41
Christin41
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020

<slider myslider>
/ range = (1,201)
/ orientation = vertical
/ showticks = false
</slider>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1= mypage]
</block>

Is there a maximum of labels that one can use? I tried to create 100 labels on a scale of a range of 1-100, but that seemed to not work (with the labels being far above and below the actual scale). I tried this to get an accurate spacing of the labels.

For the first scale this is the asked for spacing (I also attached an image of this)
Strongest imaginable 100

For the other scale this is the appropriate spacing (on a scale going from 100 to 0 and 0 to 100 with 0 in the middle of the scale)  

I am working out a way now. Thanks again!!

One little additional question, the words "Strongest imaginable" appear to be too long for a label (at least only Strongest is printed unless I program a line break). 
I there a way of controlling/changing how long a label can be/how long of a label is presented? I'd rather not use a line break as it might confuse participants as to where exactly Strongest imaginable lies.

Dave
Dave
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020
Dave - 11/18/2020
Christin41 - 11/18/2020

<slider myslider>
/ range = (1,201)
/ orientation = vertical
/ showticks = false
</slider>

<surveypage mypage>
</surveypage>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1= mypage]
</block>

Strongest imaginable 100

Yeah, that's not going to work with slider /labels. It would require too many blank labels, which also take up vertical space despite being nominally "blank."

What you can do is set up <caption> elements to serve as labels. /position them as needed, and along with the slider display them via the <surveypage>'s /questions attribute.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search