Video will not play

Author
Els
Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I'm creating an experiment where participants watch a musicvideo and have to answers questions about it afterwards. So far, so good. The only problem I am encountering is that inquisit is not able to open video-files, or any other media-files for that matter. I tried the "welcome"-experiment, but that one has the same problem as my own experiment. The problem is not the file it is in (a file in my documents), because I made another file on the C-disk, and there I encountered the same problem. 

But what could be the problem here?

/Els

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Probably this is due to a missing video codec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec). First thing to check is whether the respective video files can be played with Windows Media Player -- even if this works though, there might be a certain DirectShow filter missing (which is what Inquisit relies on as far as I knwo). Second thing is to find out what codec you need and install it on the machine. I usually simply install a codec pack called K-Lite (available via http://www.codecguide.com) on my systems which enables playback of most video / audio formats.

Let me know how this turns out.

~Dave

Els
Els
Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.4K reputation)

The video did play in mediaplayer, and it still doesn't work after installing the codec. Quite annoying. I might try the experiment out on another computer (because maybe it is something my EEEpc does or doesn't do), but my first possibility to do that is thursday, probably.

/Els

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Make sure you find and install a DirectShow codec (or filter as they're sometimes called) for the video file.

Best of luck!

~Dave

Els
Els

I rechecked the "welcome"-file again, and for some reason inquisit can't open any  other files. No video, no sound, no pictures. Quite strange (but it does mean it's probably not a lack of codec).

/Els

Dave
Dave

That sounds quite odd. Perhaps there's an issue with Windows User Permissions? Maybe move the files to your 'My Documents' folder and run from there? In any case, please keep us posted about the outcome of this. It might help others if they run into similar problems.

~Dave

Admin
Admin
Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)

It may be a permissions problem, although if you can open the media files in another program, then you have sufficient permissions to open them with Inquisit.

Are you running the experiment with the web or desktop version? What error message do you get? Are the media files actually located where the script thinks they are?

-Sean

Els
Els

At this moment I use the trial-period of 30 days, of which I suppose it's the desktop version. I get this error-message:

/items: Unable to open file 'C:\Documents and Settings\faery\Mijn documenten\Universiteit\Internship\Music Videos\monkey.mwv'.

And this shows that the program knows where the file is, because it is exactly where it should be.

/Els

Admin
Admin
Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)

Hmmmm. I'm thinking this must be a codec problem. Try installing the K-Lite Codec Full Pack from here:

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Windows/softking/soft/en/k/klcodec500f.exe

When you run the installer, be sure to select all of the DirectShow codecs as these are the ones used by Inquisit. 

-Sean 

Els
Els

Already tried that, but installed it again and made sure I had all the Directshow filters, and still no luck. Tomorrow i might be able to try it on another computer, and I hope that solves it, because the only other explanation is that my laptop is the problem.

/Els

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search