counterbalancing within scripts and in batch element

Author
anisa_khalfan
Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
So I have two tasks: 'a' and 'b', each with 4 blocks.
I have counterbalanced the order of the 4 blocks within each of the two scripts as follows:

<expt >
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ blocks = [1 = training_1_gender; 2 = training_1_emotion; 3 = training_1_both; 4 = block_1; 5 = block_2;
6 = training_2_gender; 7 = training_2_emotion; 8 = training_2_both; 9 = block_3; 10 = block_4;]
</expt>

I am wondering how the group number assignment will work if I combine the two scripts using batch element, and then counterbalance the order of task 'a' and 'b' in that script. Will it ask for group number three times - one for a vs b script, one for a script, and one for b script? I do not want the within script counterbalancing of the blocks to be affected by the new script.

Thanks for the help, I think I am just confusing myself.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
anisa_khalfan - 5/18/2021
Hi,
I have counterbalanced the order of the 4 blocks within each of the two scripts as follows:

<expt >
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
/ blocks = [1 = training_1_gender; 2 = training_1_emotion; 3 = training_1_both; 4 = block_1; 5 = block_2;
6 = training_2_gender; 7 = training_2_emotion; 8 = training_2_both; 9 = block_3; 10 = block_4;]
</expt>

I am wondering how the group number assignment will work if I combine the two scripts using batch element, and then counterbalance the order of task 'a' and 'b' in that script. Will it ask for group number three times - one for a vs b script, one for a script, and one for b script? I do not want the within script counterbalancing of the blocks to be affected by the new script.

No, it won't ask for group number three times. The groupnumber provided when you run the batch script is the one that filters down to the task scripts.
anisa_khalfan
anisa_khalfan
Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)Associate Member (263 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/18/2021
Hi,

<expt >
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
</expt>

No, it won't ask for group number three times. The groupnumber provided when you run the batch script is the one that filters down to the task scripts.

So what is the best way to do this double counterbalancing? I do not want the two to impact each other.

Do I need to write out each possible combination in a script that codes for both 'a' and 'b'?

1234 (a) + 1234 (b)
1234 (a) + 2341 (b)
1234 (a) + 3412 (b)

Is there a faster way to do this? Seeing as this way would result in coding many many possible experiment orders?
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave - 5/18/2021
Hi,

<expt >
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
</expt>

So what is the best way to do this double counterbalancing? I do not want the two to impact each other.

Do I need to write out each possible combination in a script that codes for both 'a' and 'b'?

1234 (a) + 1234 (b)
1234 (a) + 2341 (b)
1234 (a) + 3412 (b)

Is there a faster way to do this? Seeing as this way would result in coding many many possible experiment orders?

> Is there a faster way to do this?

No. If you want all possible combinations, you'll need to code them all.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search