Custom launch page link

Author
Kacha
Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, 

I am wondering if there is a way to customize the link itself for a custom launch page. For now, it refers to the name of the account and the experiment, both not ideal.

Thanks a lot,
Kasia
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

I am wondering if there is a way to customize the link itself for a custom launch page. For now, it refers to the name of the account and the experiment, both not ideal.

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

You can host the script and launch page on your own server. That will give you full control over how the link looks.

https://www.millisecond.com/products/inquisit6/webhosting.aspx

For a custom launch page hosted in your millisecond.com account, however, no, there is no way to customize the link.
Edited 3 Years Ago by Dave
Kacha
Kacha
Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)Associate Member (252 reputation)
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

You can host the script and launch page on your own server. That will give you full control over how the link looks.

For a customlaunch page hosted in your millisecond.com account, however, no, there is no way to customize the link.
That is very helpful, thanks a lot :)
Kacha
Kacha
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

For a customlaunch page hosted in your millisecond.com account, however, no, there is no way to customize the link.

I went with a custom, hosted launch page. What changed that my group assignment does not work as previously (with the default launch page).
Does Inquisit assign a random ID with a custom launch page as well?

My main script looks like that:
<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
/ file = "experiment_final.iqx"
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ file = "experiment_final_control.iqx"
</batch>
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

I went with a custom, hosted launch page. What changed that my group assignment does not work as previously (with the default launch page).

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

That depends entirely on how you set up and coded the custom launch page. I don't have any information on that from you, nor any link, so I cannot say anything about that.

Kacha
Kacha
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

That depends entirely on how you set up and coded the custom launch page. I don't have any information on that from you, nor any link, so I cannot say anything about that.

A fair point, this has to coded in the page itself.
To be honest, I just copied the code of the default page and changed the text as I needed a different language and added one more link, to be clickable. Hope that is fine.
This is the link: https://scripts.millisecond.com/rbalas/zerka1_1/intropage.html
Dave
Dave
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

To be honest, I just copied the code of the default page and changed the text as I needed a different language and added one more link, to be clickable. Hope that is fine.
This is the link: https://scripts.millisecond.com/rbalas/zerka1_1/intropage.html

> I just copied the code of the default page and changed the text as I needed a different language and added one more link, to be clickable.

Yeah, that's not the way to do it, I'm afraid.

The launch page is responsible for passing subject and group ids on to the script. There are two functions in the page for this purpose,

function GetSubjectNumber()

and

function GetGroupId()

When using the default launch page, run on the millisecond servers, the server's data base takes care of subject and group ids, i.e. those functions will return a value from the respective database, and that is what wil be visible in in the source code.

What you did when copying the pages source is effectively hardcoding those values above. Your page now always returns "721755398" as the subject ID and always returns "1" as the group ID.

You need to fix that. You can either do things how they're intended to be done, i.e. a custom launch page that embeds the default launch page as an iframe, thereby keeping all its functionality intact. This is what you get when you click on "Download Launch Page" in the setting's summary:

Alternatively, you need to substitute the two functions in the page you have with your own, i.e. write some JavaScript code that generates a large random integer for use as the subject ID, i.e. something like 

{
var snum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 1000000000);
return snum.toString();
}

and returns a random value from an array of however many groups you have as the group ID (see e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42211863/pick-a-random-item-from-a-javascript-array ).

Kacha
Kacha
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

> I just copied the code of the default page and changed the text as I needed a different language and added one more link, to be clickable.

The launch page is responsible for passing subject and group ids on to the script. There are two functions in the page for this purpose,

and

function GetGroupId()

When using the default launch page, run on the millisecond servers, the server's data base takes care of subject and group ids, i.e. those functions will return a value from the respective database, and that is what wil be visible in in the source code.

What you did when copying the pages source is effectively hardcoding those values above. Your page now always returns "721755398" as the subject ID and always returns "1" as the group ID.

You need to fix that. You can either do things how they're intended to be done, i.e. a custom launch page that embeds the default launch page as an iframe, thereby keeping all its functionality intact. This is what you get when you click on "Download Launch Page" in the setting's summary:

Alternatively, you need to substitute the two functions in the page you have with your own, i.e. write some JavaScript code that generates a large random integer for use as the subject ID, i.e. something like 

{
return snum.toString();
}

and returns a random value from an array of however many groups you have as the group ID (see e.g. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42211863/pick-a-random-item-from-a-javascript-array ).

wow, Dave, this help is invaluable!
Kacha
Kacha
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

and

function GetGroupId()

{
return snum.toString();
}

Hi,
I still fail with this element.
I found in a different thread, that "View page source" should give the functions not hardcoded. But I copied it and does not work as intended.
Also, I do not know how to take the advantage of having the iFrame. Can I insert my modified launch page into it, keeping the participants numbers and groups assignment functions?
This is the current link: https://scripts.millisecond.com/rbalas/zerka1_1/intropage.htm

Sorry for asking so many questions. I do not code, and just modifying the launch page brought such a challenge ;)
Dave
Dave
Kacha - 8/6/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Dave - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/5/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Dave - 8/3/2021
Kacha - 8/3/2021
Hi, 

Thanks a lot,
Kasia

<batch>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
</batch>

<batch>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
</batch>

and

function GetGroupId()

{
return snum.toString();
}

Hi,
I still fail with this element.
I found in a different thread, that "View page source" should give the functions not hardcoded. But I copied it and does not work as intended.
Also, I do not know how to take the advantage of having the iFrame. Can I insert my modified launch page into it, keeping the participants numbers and groups assignment functions?
This is the current link: https://scripts.millisecond.com/rbalas/zerka1_1/intropage.htm

Sorry for asking so many questions. I do not code, and just modifying the launch page brought such a challenge ;)

I'm confused. The page you have up there still hardcodes return values for the two functions. I do not see you having made any modifications to those functions. Can you explain what you did or what you think you should do? It's entirely unclear to me what this

> I found in a different thread, that "View page source" should give the functions not hardcoded.

is supposed to mean.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search