Video Frames Per Second

Author
AnthonyFCollinsSussex
Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there!

A relatively quick question: I am implementing videos in my experiment (MP4s). However, there is a marked degree of FPS lag/choppiness when run in Inquisit/experiment. The video is a simple visual 'breathing' pacer, so when compared with the original video (outside of Inquisit), the motion of the visual cue is 'choppier' due to reduced fps?. For full effectiveness, the rise/fall of the cue (box) ought to be as smooth as possible, thus, is there a way to retain the original FPS (30) of the video to eliminate this issue?

Many thanks and kind regards
Anthony

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
AnthonyFCollinsSussex - 9/8/2021
Hi there!

A relatively quick question: I am implementing videos in my experiment (MP4s). However, there is a marked degree of FPS lag/choppiness when run in Inquisit/experiment. The video is a simple visual 'breathing' pacer, so when compared with the original video (outside of Inquisit), the motion of the visual cue is 'choppier' due to reduced fps?. For full effectiveness, the rise/fall of the cue (box) ought to be as smooth as possible, thus, is there a way to retain the original FPS (30) of the video to eliminate this issue?

Anthony

You'll probably need to experiment with different encodings, e.g. reduce resolution etc., to get this to run smoothly across a wide ragen of systems with very different performance characteristics.

AnthonyFCollinsSussex
AnthonyFCollinsSussex
Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)Partner Member (665 reputation)
Dave - 9/8/2021
Hi there!

Anthony

You'll probably need to experiment with different encodings, e.g. reduce resolution etc., to get this to run smoothly across a wide ragen of systems with very different performance characteristics.

I guess I use the display element to achieve such tweaks (e.g. via canvasaspect ratio etc) in the script

Thank you

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 9/8/2021
Hi there!

Anthony

I guess I use the display element to achieve such tweaks (e.g. via canvasaspect ratio etc) in the script

Thank you

No, Inquisit canvas settings will probably not do anything here. What I mean is (re-)encoding the video file itself with different settings.
AnthonyFCollinsSussex
AnthonyFCollinsSussex
Dave - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
Hi there!

Anthony

Thank you

No, Inquisit canvas settings will probably not do anything here. What I mean is (re-)encoding the video file itself with different settings.

Oh I see!, I may try adjusting resolution, though to be fair giff rendered format came out marginally better.  just to be sure, there is nothing I can change or do within the Inquisit internal environment itself that can enhance FPS so easily (though I am naive to 'DirectShow' or the like)

TY

Dave
Dave
Dave - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
Hi there!

Anthony

Thank you

Oh I see!, I may try adjusting resolution, though to be fair giff rendered format came out marginally better.  just to be sure, there is nothing I can change or do within the Inquisit internal environment itself that can enhance FPS so easily (though I am naive to 'DirectShow' or the like)

TY

No, nothing you can do in Inqusiit / the script directly.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search