show defaultresponse + replace item from list

Author
Ine Van der Cruyssen
Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

I'm programming an autobiographical RT-CIT following the script I found in the library (https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/rtcit/) and I'm running into some problems. I would be very happy if someone could help me out. 

In the beginning, participants have to indicate their name and mother's name which we use as probes (and insert in probeItems).
As it is important that this is written correctly, we want the participants to verify their answers. To do this, we want to show them the question again, and their response should be shown as a default response. If they think it's not correct they should be able to correct it.
Now I wrote it like this but the defaultresponse (in bold) does not seem to work:

<textbox verifyFirstname>
/ caption = "verify first name"
/ defaultresponse = probeItems
/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

<textbox verifyMothername>
/ caption = "verify mother name"
/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

<surveypage verifyProbes>
/ caption = "כעת את/ה מתבקש/ת לאשר כי הפרטים רשומים נכון, במידה ולא, נא תקן/י כעת:"
/ questions = [1=verifyFirstname; 2=verifyMothername]
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ itemfontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, true, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ responsefontstyle = ("Arial", 2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ ontrialend =
[item.probeItems.insertitem(textbox.verifyFirstname.response, 1)]
/ ontrialend =
[item.probeItems.insertitem(textbox.verifyMothername.response, 2)]
</surveypage>

Afterward, participants have to indicate in a checkbox list (with control items that we will later use in the experiment) if one or some of those items are significant to them (e.g., if it's the name of their brother). If this would be the case we would like to replace the particular control item with an alternative item. However, I have no idea how to do this.

Thank you so much!
Ine
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Ine Van der Cruyssen - 1/27/2022
Hi everyone,

I'm programming an autobiographical RT-CIT following the script I found in the library (https://www.millisecond.com/download/library/rtcit/) and I'm running into some problems. I would be very happy if someone could help me out. 

In the beginning, participants have to indicate their name and mother's name which we use as probes (and insert in probeItems).
As it is important that this is written correctly, we want the participants to verify their answers. To do this, we want to show them the question again, and their response should be shown as a default response. If they think it's not correct they should be able to correct it.
Now I wrote it like this but the defaultresponse (in bold) does not seem to work:

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ caption = "כעת את/ה מתבקש/ת לאשר כי הפרטים רשומים נכון, במידה ולא, נא תקן/י כעת:"
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend =
/ ontrialend =
</surveypage>

Afterward, participants have to indicate in a checkbox list (with control items that we will later use in the experiment) if one or some of those items are significant to them (e.g., if it's the name of their brother). If this would be the case we would like to replace the particular control item with an alternative item. However, I have no idea how to do this.

Thank you so much!
Ine

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

What is this supposed to do? You're not referring to any particular item in in <item probeitems> there, so this does not make any sense.

Also, an isolated code snippet is not useful. Provide code that is actually runnable. Thank you.
Ine Van der Cruyssen
Ine Van der Cruyssen
Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)Associate Member (85 reputation)
Dave - 1/27/2022
Hi everyone,

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend =
/ ontrialend =
</surveypage>

Thank you so much!
Ine

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

What is this supposed to do? You're not referring to any particular item in in <item probeitems> there, so this does not make any sense.

Also, an isolated code snippet is not useful. Provide code that is actually runnable. Thank you.
Hi Dave,

Sorry, I attached the script now.

1) On line 257 I try to show the replies participants gave on line 225 which they can correct in case it would be wrong. But it does not work the way I wrote it now. 

2) On line 281, I ask participants whether one of the controls we will use in the experiment is significant to them (if that would be the case we want to replace it by an alternative e.g., Yael). So if the option they choose on line 281 matches one of the control items from line 131, I would like to replace that item, but I have no idea how to do it...

It would be super nice if you could help me out.
Thank you in advance! 
Ine

Attachments
ExpNathalie.iqx (165 views, 47.00 KB)
AKrishna
AKrishna
Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)
For your first issue:

/ defaultresponse = item.probeItems.item(1)
/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ defaultresponse = item.probeItems.item(2)
/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

This works for me. The problem was that you were referencing the <item> as a whole rather than the specific element, as Dave notes above

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Ine Van der Cruyssen - 1/28/2022
Dave - 1/27/2022
Hi everyone,

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend =
/ ontrialend =
</surveypage>

Thank you so much!
Ine

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I attached the script now.

1) On line 257 I try to show the replies participants gave on line 225 which they can correct in case it would be wrong. But it does not work the way I wrote it now. 

2) On line 281, I ask participants whether one of the controls we will use in the experiment is significant to them (if that would be the case we want to replace it by an alternative e.g., Yael). So if the option they choose on line 281 matches one of the control items from line 131, I would like to replace that item, but I have no idea how to do it...

It would be super nice if you could help me out.
Thank you in advance! 
Ine

Re. 1), you need to do:

/ defaultresponse = item.probeItems.items.1
/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

/ defaultresponse = item.probeItems.items.2
/ required = true
/ textboxsize = (80%,4%)
/ multiline = false
</textbox>

with

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend =
[item.probeItems.setitem(textbox.verifyFirstname.response, 1)]
/ ontrialend =
[item.probeItems.setitem(textbox.verifyMothername.response, 2)]
</surveypage>

Re. 2), I cannot locate any list of alternatives. Obviously, you will need such a list to replace any items indicated as significant by the participant. In short, however, this is how it goes:

<checkboxes significantFirstname>
/ caption="שם פרטי:"
/ required = false
/ options=("Moran", "Sara", "Michal", "Nili", "Lee", "Paula", "Alexandra")
</checkboxes>

<surveypage significantFirstname>
/ caption = "כעת את/ה מתבקש/ת לבחור שמות פרטיים שהינם בעלי משמעות עבורך מהרשימה הבאה:"
/ questions = [1 = significantFirstname]
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend = [
    if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.1) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Moran", 1);
    };
        if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.2) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Sara", 2);
    };
        if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.3) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Michal", 3);
    };
        if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.4) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Nili", 4);
    };
        if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.5) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Lee", 5);
    };
        if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.6) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Paula", 6);
    };
        if(checkboxes.significantFirstname.checked.7) {
        item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Alexandra", 7);
    };
]

</surveypage>

AKrishna
AKrishna
Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

For the second issue, you might try the following:

/ caption = "כעת את/ה מתבקש/ת לבחור שמות פרטיים שהינם בעלי משמעות עבורך מהרשימה הבאה:"
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend = [
    if (search(checkboxes.significantFirstname.response, "Moran") > -1) item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Moran", 1)
]
/ ontrialend = [
  if (search(checkboxes.significantFirstname.response, "Sara") > -1) item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Sara", 2)
]
</surveypage>

I haven't done it for all the names, but you can see the pattern: after the surveypage is completed, the "ontrialend" properties check for each option whether it was selected by the participant (in which case the response property is equal to the name). If it was, the item that contains your name stimuli is accessed and the value at that point
The checkboxes record checked answers in the following format: "Sara & Moran & Michal" (if I had checked those names and no others). The "search" function returns the position of whatever it's searching for in a text or -1 if the term it's searching for isn't found in the target string (example: search("lemons","m") returns 3), so searching checkboxes.significantFirstname.response for a name and getting anything above -1 tells us that the participant checked that name. If this is so, then we can access the item element which contains the names and set the specific item number in that element to whatever replacement you choose.

Dave may well have a more elegant solution for you, but I saw this and thought I might be able to help

Dave
Dave
AKrishna - 1/28/2022

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend = [
    if (search(checkboxes.significantFirstname.response, "Moran") > -1) item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Moran", 1)
]
/ ontrialend = [
  if (search(checkboxes.significantFirstname.response, "Sara") > -1) item.controlItems.setitem("Replacement for Sara", 2)
]
</surveypage>

I haven't done it for all the names, but you can see the pattern: after the surveypage is completed, the "ontrialend" properties check for each option whether it was selected by the participant (in which case the response property is equal to the name). If it was, the item that contains your name stimuli is accessed and the value at that point
The checkboxes record checked answers in the following format: "Sara & Moran & Michal" (if I had checked those names and no others). The "search" function returns the position of whatever it's searching for in a text or -1 if the term it's searching for isn't found in the target string (example: search("lemons","m") returns 3), so searching checkboxes.significantFirstname.response for a name and getting anything above -1 tells us that the participant checked that name. If this is so, then we can access the item element which contains the names and set the specific item number in that element to whatever replacement you choose.

Dave may well have a more elegant solution for you, but I saw this and thought I might be able to help

Thank you, @AKrishna for chiming in. Both are perfectly fine solutions in principle, but a word of caution about the search() approach: This will run into issues if the options overlap in certain ways. Example to illustrate:

<checkboxes examplecb>
/ caption = "Check the option 'Paula' to see the problem:"
/ options = ("Paul", "Paula")
</checkboxes>

<surveypage examplepage>
/ questions = [1=examplecb]
/ ontrialend = [
    if (search(checkboxes.examplecb.response, "Paul") > -1) item.exampleitems.setitem("Replacement for Paul", 1);
    if (search(checkboxes.examplecb.response, "Paula") > -1) item.exampleitems.setitem("Replacement for Paula", 2);
]
</surveypage>

<item exampleitems>
/ 1 = "Paul"
/ 2 = "Paula"
</item>

<block exampleblock>
/ postinstructions = (result)
/ trials = [1=examplepage]
</block>

<page result>
^Result:
^Item 1: <%item.exampleitems.item(1)%>
^Item 2: <%item.exampleitems.item(2)%>
</page>

Edited 2 Years Ago by Dave
Ine Van der Cruyssen
Ine Van der Cruyssen
Dave - 1/28/2022
AKrishna - 1/28/2022

/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/ ontrialend = [
]
/ ontrialend = [
]
</surveypage>

Thank you, @AKrishna for chiming in. Both are perfectly fine solutions in principle, but a word of caution about the search() approach: This will run into issues if the options overlap in certain ways. Example to illustrate:

<checkboxes examplecb>
/ caption = "Check the option 'Paula' to see the problem:"
/ options = ("Paul", "Paula")
</checkboxes>

<surveypage examplepage>
/ questions = [1=examplecb]
/ ontrialend = [
    if (search(checkboxes.examplecb.response, "Paul") > -1) item.exampleitems.setitem("Replacement for Paul", 1);
    if (search(checkboxes.examplecb.response, "Paula") > -1) item.exampleitems.setitem("Replacement for Paula", 2);
]
</surveypage>

<item exampleitems>
/ 1 = "Paul"
/ 2 = "Paula"
</item>

<block exampleblock>
/ postinstructions = (result)
/ trials = [1=examplepage]
</block>

<page result>